The National

Zoo Music Girl

On 25/06/2017 at 1:19 PM, Neville Street said:

Does the catch up have Mr November in it?!?!

The iPlayer programme has everything except Mr November - however, the BBC glasto site video has it, but it also cuts out Sea of Love and Turtleneck!  Why advertise them as full sets if they're not?! 

They also cut out the reference to the terror attacks when Matt introduces England and the Bloodbuzz Ohio intro as well.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Mr November is on iPlayer here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05596b0/glastonbury-2017-the-national#group=p056kg71

It's the full set of songs just cut down. The cut in Mr November is really obvious where they've spliced it back in.

Edit: my mistake, no Turtleneck

They've cut Sea of Love too!

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

About to catch up on iPlayer. I barely thought of them on Saturday; The Avalanches were easily the best thing I saw all weekend, and my big fat prime viewing spot for Solange's set definitely enhanced the experience. Went to Pyramid merch stand on Saturday lunch time, hoping to score a National t-shirt so that I could support them, but no merch.

They had The National t shirts at the Other stage merch stand on Sunday (not that that helps you now sorry)

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

They had The National t shirts at the Other stage merch stand on Sunday (not that that helps you now sorry)

bobbins! well luckily the good lord invented the internet, so we can buy dweeby band merch and hurl insults at @dentalplan. Can you believe he doesn't even like First Aid Kit? What a herb.

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

bobbins! well luckily the good lord invented the internet, so we can buy dweeby band merch and hurl insults at @dentalplan. Can you believe he doesn't even like First Aid Kit? What a herb.

To be fair, there was only one National T-shirt. It had a bison on it. It was okay, but nothing special.

The internet has more choice. All the choice. Every choice.

Edited by fowls

Love it. They're 2 for 2 in my book. New album is shaping up nicely.

I was tempted to buy LCD tickets for London, the night before The National in Manc, but couldn't justify all the travel and accommodation. What a double header that would be - anyone planning on that?

New tune is decent enough, but shouldn't have been anywhere near their Glastonbury set. And Turtleneck instead of Vanderlyle was criminal.

I downloaded and relived their concert yesterday, and it once again struck me how disappointing it was with all the new songs. The crowd is so dead after The system only dreams in total darkness. Everyone just standing either watching the band halfheartedly, looking disinterested or talking to others.

In other threads I've defended bands that don't cater to casuals, like Radiohead, but playing so many songs that noone has heard before is never a good idea at festivals. Much because of how long it takes to get a crowd going again. I need my girl was unable to pick people back up properly.

Maybe I'm just wrong and the set would have worked much better on a smaller stage with a higher concentration of enthusiastic fans. Anyways, looking forward to seeing them in Oslo in november, by then I will have heard the new album a thousand times.

Edited by Anarion

4 minutes ago, Anarion said:

New tune is decent enough, but shouldn't have been anywhere near their Glastonbury set. And Turtleneck instead of Vanderlyle was criminal.

I downloaded and relived their concert yesterday, and it once again struck me how disappointing it was with all the new songs. The crowd is so dead after The system only dreams in total darkness. Everyone just standing either watching the band halfheartedly, looking disinterested or talking to others.

In other threads I've defended bands that don't cater to casuals, like Radiohead, but playing so many songs that noone has heard before is never a good idea at festivals. Much because of how long it takes to get a crowd going again. I need my girl was unable to pick people back up properly.

Maybe I'm just wrong and the set would have worked much better on a smaller stage with a higher concentration of enthusiastic fans. Anyways, looking forward to seeing them in Oslo in november, by then I will have heard the new album a thousand times.

Playing that many new songs isn't just not catering to casuals, it's not catering to fans either. Although really I think much of the fault for what was musically a brilliant set falling a bit flat is down to Glastonbury butting them in a completely wrong set. But we all knew that. I enjoyed it, at least.

New song is nice tho doesn't grab me like the last one did. Album is looking exciting though, I can definitely see all these coming together into something really compelling. Turtleneck will be a banger, no doubt.

4 hours ago, jparx said:

I was tempted to buy LCD tickets for London, the night before The National in Manc, but couldn't justify all the travel and accommodation. What a double header that would be - anyone planning on that?

I was gonna do that but settled for seeing LCD in Manchester the weekend before instead. So many good gigs to look forward to in September though

This (Guilty Party) and I'll Still Destroy you are for me the two best songs on the album (and they're back to back). For those not grabbed by the new songs they played live at Glastonbury, I'd say Turtleneck, Walk It Back and The Day I Die are my three least favourite songs on the album. Walk It Back certainly seemed an odd choice in a set that was only an hour as it's 1) quite long, and 2) doesn't really go anywhere.  

Edited by Dog Burger

6 hours ago, jparx said:

Getting back from my holiday and then The National in Manchester on Friday, LCD in London Saturday, Bon Iver in Blackpool Monday. And what a lovely weekend that will be.

New jam is well good innit?

On 2017-6-28 at 6:35 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Wait until September as all current t-shirts are end of life and new range coming out which look awesome!