The National

Zoo Music Girl

17 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Saw someone say this earlier but I'm sure it was on the iPlayer show I watched earlier?

Assuming you mean this one (rather than some other footage that I somehow missed), it cuts from Bloodbuzz Ohio to Terrible Love at about 38:45 when Mr. November was between both of those. Seemed to have cut another song out possibly, can't remember, as the coverage is only 48 minutes long. Definitely leaves out Berninger showing that politician's phone number.

Just now, Rylbld9 said:

Assuming you mean this one (rather than some other footage that I somehow missed), it cuts from Bloodbuzz Ohio to Terrible Love at about 38:45 when Mr. November was between both of those. Seemed to have cut another song out possibly, can't remember, as the coverage is only 48 minutes long. Definitely leaves out Berninger showing that politician's phone number.

Not sure but I'll have another look tomorrow to make sure. The one I watched cut out Sea of Love and Turtleneck but I'm sure it had Mr November in it.

9 hours ago, Rylbld9 said:

What was this with the phone number? It's all rather hazy...

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Something to do with some politician in Ohio who's fighting a new health bill over there. Pretty weird. Not sure why he thought Glastonbury was a good platform for it.

It was some Republican in Ohio, and it was done before Bloodbuzz Ohio so made enough sense to me, also lead to half the crowd cheering that they were from Ohio which was amusing.  Obviously not a massive audience for it but I didn't find it out place.

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Something to do with some politician in Ohio who's fighting a new health bill over there. Pretty weird. Not sure why he thought Glastonbury was a good platform for it.

It brings more attention to it, Glastonbury is a worldwide platform. 

First time seeing The National - they were great. The new songs were a bit of a downer in that no one knew them, certainly near me anyway. I seemed to be lucky in that I was in the middle of enthusiastic fans, about 20 metres or so in front of the left hand screen as you look at the stage, who sang along with everything they knew. Listening back though they were good and I look forward to the new album. Had a thought though - I got the impression that Matt B was either pissed, nervous or both, as he came across as a bit of a knob to me having never seen them before. He has a great voice and fantastic presence but apart from the dedication prior to England he didn't come across that sincere. And the whole Ohio governor stuff gave me the impression that he though The Uk was part of the US health system - the world is all part of the US. Didn't expect that. Anyhoo I have tickets for Manchester and I can't wait to see them again. Won't shake me off that easily......

edit - the Ohio governor stuff is not on the iPlayer version on Beeb 

Edited by chuckles07
Add a comment

23 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

First time seeing The National - they were great. The new songs were a bit of a downer in that no one knew them, certainly near me anyway. I seemed to be lucky in that I was in the middle of enthusiastic fans, about 20 metres or so in front of the left hand screen as you look at the stage, who sang along with everything they knew. Listening back though they were good and I look forward to the new album. Had a thought though - I got the impression that Matt B was either pissed, nervous or both, as he came across as a bit of a knob to me having never seen them before. He has a great voice and fantastic presence but apart from the dedication prior to England he didn't come across that sincere. And the whole Ohio governor stuff gave me the impression that he though The Uk was part of the US health system - the world is all part of the US. Didn't expect that. Anyhoo I have tickets for Manchester and I can't wait to see them again. Won't shake me off that easily......

edit - the Ohio governor stuff is not on the iPlayer version on Beeb 

I think he always comes across as a bit of a nob tbh.

23 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I'm almost at the end of it now and it actually looks so sick. Someone I was with told me this morning I was so annoying dancing so happily into them so maybe I did actually enjoy it. Think I just remember it being over too soon and there being too much new stuff and wrongly thought I hadn't enjoyed It. Apparently I spent the whole gig facing the wrong way singing back at the crowd, mind.

That's definitely how it went down. Practically all I could see.

3 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

They were terrific, apart from the crowd. I could only hear myself and some guy behind me singing. I went a little crazy during Mr November haha. Did feel like there was too many new songs (which all sounded very good) though but still had a blast.

I think it could be down to the fact that not that many people actually know the national? Sure on here they are well known but these forums are a little bit of a bubble. Out of all the people I was camped with etc, which was 15 people in total, only myself and one other had really heard their music.

I appreciate the counterpoint to this is the view that people shouldn't see them if they aren't bothered etc but, I feel scheduling them before the foos is what actually drew in a large proportion of their crowd.

I feel as though a more appropriate warm up act for the foos would have been biffy and then the national before ed on sunday.

I loved it. The set list was a bit off, there's so many tracks that they could've played rather than the 4 unheard new tracks, but the boys did good and I think the crowd, however small it was, really liked it. System sounded huge and the big singalongs for Fake Empire and Terrible Love were great.

I took along a friend that had never heard them before and never listens to anything like them. He loved it! He especially praised Matt's performance. 

I agree with the above that a Sunday other stage headline could've been life-changing stuff. I was watching BBK and I couldn't help wishing that these lads were there instead. But I'm really happy overall, I've been wanting this performance to happen pretty much since I started going in '11 and it didn't disappoint. Bring on Hammersmith :)  

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Mr November is on iPlayer here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05596b0/glastonbury-2017-the-national#group=p056kg71

It's the full set of songs just cut down. The cut in Mr November is really obvious where they've spliced it back in.

Edit: my mistake, no Turtleneck

i'm uploading the full thing from the webcast to a file sharing site now. will put up the link when it's finished (file is quite big - 2.3GB).