The National

Zoo Music Girl

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I liked the new songs in the middle, but Turtleneck at the end is a pretty awful song IMO.

Watching at home was the first I've heard of the new unreleased stuff and I thought exactly this about Turtleneck - probably the worst thing I've ever heard by them (don't have much recollection of the pre-Alligator albums). 

Day I Die is brilliant though and I really love Matt's frontman schtick. 

I actually thought they did a great set that went over a lot better than I expected, but given the slot my expectations were low. We had an okay spot with quite a few people singing along which helped and the band sounded great. Too many new songs in a row though, for sure, even if I did like said songs. England was a highlight for me as ever. The gig in September will be miles better, but still glad I went and was pleasantly surprised by how well it came across. Proud of them.

Shit setlist, was bored by the time they went into the 4th new song in a row. Very glad I'm seeing them in September now when I'll actually know the songs they'll be playing.

Although I convinced someone I was with after Liam Gallagher to come and watch the start before she headed off to Stormzy by repeatedly drunkenly claiming they were the best band on the lineup. She'd never heard of them but ended up staying for the whole set and missing Stormzy so maybe it wasn't that bad for the neutrals. I guess with non-fans the amount of new songs wouldn't have really made a difference.

Way too many missed bangers, though. And no Pink Rabbits.

I was so fucked I woke up the next morning thinking they'd opened with Terrible Love, which I've now seen they played second to last.

I was at the right hand side of the front section and I don't think anyone around me had heard of The National. Was talking to some guys behind me and they were waiting for Foos and asked if they'd be able to dance to The National..

About to catch up on iPlayer. I barely thought of them on Saturday; The Avalanches were easily the best thing I saw all weekend, and my big fat prime viewing spot for Solange's set definitely enhanced the experience. Went to Pyramid merch stand on Saturday lunch time, hoping to score a National t-shirt so that I could support them, but no merch.

23 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

About to catch up on iPlayer. I barely thought of them on Saturday; The Avalanches were easily the best thing I saw all weekend, and my big fat prime viewing spot for Solange's set definitely enhanced the experience. Went to Pyramid merch stand on Saturday lunch time, hoping to score a National t-shirt so that I could support them, but no merch.

I'm almost at the end of it now and it actually looks so sick. Someone I was with told me this morning I was so annoying dancing so happily into them so maybe I did actually enjoy it. Think I just remember it being over too soon and there being too much new stuff and wrongly thought I hadn't enjoyed It. Apparently I spent the whole gig facing the wrong way singing back at the crowd, mind.

I thought Turtleneck was great. Maybe not as a show closer, but just sounded so different from anything else they've ever done. All the other new material sounded ace as well. Hope this new album does big things for them because judging by the new stuff they've stepped it up a notch and shaken things up. The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness sounded huge - probably my favourite song they played.

11 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I'm almost at the end of it now and it actually looks so sick. Someone I was with told me this morning I was so annoying dancing so happily into them so maybe I did actually enjoy it. Think I just remember it being over too soon and there being too much new stuff and wrongly thought I hadn't enjoyed It. Apparently I spent the whole gig facing the wrong way singing back at the crowd, mind.

I spent a Cribs gig at Leeds fest many years ago, turned around singing back at the crowd; I was absolutely Will-2609ed on cheap lager at the time.

2 minutes ago, angelofharlem said:

Apparently the sound was not good for the National.  It appears that some of the speakers were turned off.  My friend was very annoyed about this!  Does seem a bit unfair that they would turn speakers off..not sure why they did this.

sound was perfect where i was. doubt there were any speakers turned off, it was too loud at times, the little riff in The System... was extremely loud.

16 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

sound was perfect where i was. doubt there were any speakers turned off, it was too loud at times, the little riff in The System... was extremely loud.

Oh thats strange..guess it depends where you are standing.  My friends were by the speakers further back and said they were turned off and that the sound was nowhere near loud enough! Did sound better further forward though.  They were also a bit disappointed by the choice of song to end the set, but apart from that really enjoyed them.

I was near the front for this (plenty of space in the inner circle)- crowd were great but setlist was disappointing. I could understand if the new album was already our but don't really get what they were thinking with this setlist. I still enjoyed it, the performance was great, but...

Edited by Mr.Tease

I was watching it back on the BBC and the crowd looked very small and I'd bet more than half were Foos fans. They could have easily headlined The Park on the Sunday night, they'd have had a smaller crowd than Elbow. But anyway, great to see them finally being rewarded with big slots and attention they've deserved for so long! 

I quite like The National but wanted to try Stormzy out for something a bit different and I like his record. Thought it was great.

Interestingly, my girlfriend who has only heard tracks in passing and didn't know what they were like at all said they were one of the highlights of her festival. Made me wish I could have caught them too!

Absolutely loved it, was just in front of the second barrier and had a bunch of guys behind me who were as into it as I was. 

Probably helped by how much gin I'd gone through during KP and RTJ but the sound was superb. Sure four new songs in a row was a bit much (and 5/12) for a big festival slot, but they all sounded great and a good chunk of the crowd wouldn't have known the difference. Took a few casual/non-fans along and they were all really impressed too. Roll on September!

6 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

omfg I Need My Girl sounding lush af on the coverage

Yeah - the high point of the set for me. Stood out from the rest of the set - the only ballad they played. And a really simple one for the crowd to engage in.

Nearly moved the song into my top 15.

I'm with the 'slightly disappointed' group though. I mean they still sounded great... because they're a fucking great live band. But when you think of the tunes they left at home.. Graceless, Squalor Victoria, Vanderlyle, Afraid of Everyone, Slow Show, Pink Rabbits, Don't Swallow the Cap, Abel - I mean for a twelve song set they could have squeezed in at least one or two more of them. Really didn't need 5 from the unreleased new album.

5 new songs from an unreleased album during a Pyramid stage set before a headliner is fucking dumb. I love The National, but that was a bad choice from them. More new songs then they played in a set over twice the length, to an on-side crowd at Latitude last year.

• Upvote 1