The National

Zoo Music Girl

5 hours ago, Benjsh said:

Casual fan of theirs and I really enjoyed it. Sounded class on the box. Crowd looked really tiny though which was a shame and a bit of a surprise. Didn't think it would be huge but surely bigger than that. 

I love the band but my worry was that there would be the 'Beck effect' so I got food and saw the avalanches and solange instead.  I wonder how many thought there would be that effect! I regret nothing though as I'm seeing the National in London and in Paris!

Edited by aidenlangan95

Was pretty disappointed with this set. Was one of the things I was looking forward to most. Got right down the front. Surrounded by people talking or pissing on each other. Left after I realised they'd started playing the 4th new song in a row. Took me a little while to get out of the pyramid field so I heard a lot of it. Was fine. 

I get that this is a massive promotional opportunity for them, but 5 songs from an album that comes out in 3 months? What's that about?

I love them but that many new songs in a subheadline set is odd, especially when the album isnt out for a couple months still. Still yet to see them play a festival slot that I enjoyed unfortunately but a large part of that is probably due to the crowd, obviously the majority of people there were waiting for Foos and the ones around me certainly made that known by moaning about how much they were bored by The National

Surely the best way to promote a new album would be to play all your hits on sure a big slot, to help put on the best best show they can? Then people can get home and delve into their back catalogue and then ultimately get ready for the new album. 

If The National fans weren't fully on board, then there really is not hope of grabbing a neutral festival goer. New material or not. 

This surely isn't rocket science logic - I was baffled by that setlist. 

First time I seen them, played it a lot over and over in my head for a few years. Unreal start! Too many new songs, for a sub headline set. Slightly disappointing after the fourth new track.

None the less. We just saw the fucking National, guys. 

I thought they were really good although there were too many new songs in the set which kind of dragged it on, I could see a non fan not enjoying it. I think a Park headline set would have been a lot better than the spot they had.

On 2017-06-24 at 9:37 PM, whoozyschmoozy said:

just seemed like some banter to me? I thought Matt was saying how he Bryce is always on the screen cause he's better looking or something? Are there other rumours that they're not getting on well or something?

Matt was crawling around on the floor emoting but the cameraman was on Bryce almost the whole time. So that was a little mostly good natured complaint. More at the camera man I think for missing the performance. BTW love them and loved their set. But yeah a lot of people around me were distracting with their inattention.

Edited by JacquelineS
Sorry phone auto correct gone wrong

I was really nervous going over to watch them. Due to the fact it my not live up to my own hype.

But I had a blast and when the gig finished I felt disappointed. Not because it was utterly brilliant but because it was just too short. 

Roll on September 

good gig, not great though, mainly down to song choice. had a non-fan with me who really enjoyed it, and Matt's performance in general.

was just outside the pit, to the right of centre and surrounded by people who knew the songs or at least were dancing away.

I liked the new songs in the middle, but Turtleneck at the end is a pretty awful song IMO. should have scrapped that and Guilty Party and put 2 catchier ones in the middle (Afraid of Everyone, Don't Swallow The Cap, Fake Empire, Conversation 16..), and finished on Terrible Love.

7.5/10

On 25/6/2017 at 1:19 PM, Neville Street said:

Does the catch up have Mr November in it?!?!

i'm outside the UK so can't watch it on iplayer, but downloaded a torrent of it, and Mr. November is on there. seems like it as the webcast that went out live. 720p HD video. someone will probably put it on youtube over the next few days.

• Upvote 1