The National

Zoo Music Girl

Just now, Mardy said:

Saw Solange on Thursday. Superb. Absolutely excellent show.

Good to hear, all the footage I've seen from her current show has been properly next-level. Have we ever seen another artist up their game like this? Like pre-A Seat At The Table she was just a fun soul influenced electropop singer, and then out of the blue she came back with an album and show that's just magnificent, so above and beyond what she was doing before.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Solange + Avalanches. I'm going to the Manchester show in September so I had to prioritise, but it fucking stings.

A couple of weeks ago I was really excited for the line-up this year, because while I don't find it that strong overall, Anderson .Paak, Solange, The National, At Tribe Called Quest, and The Can Project are all super unmissable. Left with only two of them now, I do feel let down, especially when there's no real Friday headliner for me and The National have been given a baffingly shit slot for them.

You not a flaming lips fan?

Just now, russycarps said:

You not a flaming lips fan?

Gonna be watching the Flips. I've seen them before and found them enjoyable, but at the same time I find their wacky bullshit a bit uninteresting. They've got a tendency to write a couple of good tunes, and then just pad the rest of the album out. They may well win me over on the night, but I reckon they're one of the most overrated bands of all time.

Also Transmissions From The Satellite Heart is clearly their best album by a long way.

40 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Gonna be watching the Flips. I've seen them before and found them enjoyable, but at the same time I find their wacky bullshit a bit uninteresting. They've got a tendency to write a couple of good tunes, and then just pad the rest of the album out. They may well win me over on the night, but I reckon they're one of the most overrated bands of all time.

Also Transmissions From The Satellite Heart is clearly their best album by a long way.

Fair dos. 

I do wish that they would play stuff from transmissions and before though. It irks me that they've completely binned off half their career.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Good to hear, all the footage I've seen from her current show has been properly next-level. Have we ever seen another artist up their game like this? Like pre-A Seat At The Table she was just a fun soul influenced electropop singer, and then out of the blue she came back with an album and show that's just magnificent, so above and beyond what she was doing before.

Very true, but Losing You was the song of the year. I had high hopes for the record and she smashed them. Avalanches/National/Solange is an absolute nightmare. They were the big 3 alongside Radiohead.

Had to bump this thread from the depths of God knows where while sat watching the Sydney gig on YouTube yet again. Having been buzzing for Avalanches for the best part of 9 months, I'm in danger of dropping them for these, despite having tickets for Manchester.

Do you reckon we will get Pink Rabbits? It passed me by on the album but having seen @Will-2609 wax lyrically about it, along with that Caitlin Rose cover mentioned,  I've become rather obsessed with it. To the point I spent two hours of today listening to the original and cover, one after the other.

well for their last semi-proper set, they played for about an hour at a pre-US election gig back in November and they did, so I'd say there's a decent chance.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2016/washington-park-cincinnati-oh-43fad7bb.html

Don't Swallow the Cap

Bloodbuzz Ohio

Sea of Love

I Need My Girl

This Is the Last Time

Pink Rabbits

England

Fake Empire

Mr. November

About Today

Terrible Love

I'd imagine it'll basically be the same at Glastonbury, but with The System Only.... replacing something, About Today i'd guess.

11 hours ago, Badlands said:

Had to bump this thread from the depths of God knows where while sat watching the Sydney gig on YouTube yet again. Having been buzzing for Avalanches for the best part of 9 months, I'm in danger of dropping them for these, despite having tickets for Manchester.

Do you reckon we will get Pink Rabbits? It passed me by on the album but having seen @Will-2609 wax lyrically about it, along with that Caitlin Rose cover mentioned,  I've become rather obsessed with it. To the point I spent two hours of today listening to the original and cover, one after the other.

It's hard to say really because they haven't played any proper shows in a while, and won't play any before Glastonbury. Last year it was a mainstay, so I'm pretty hopeful, but if they play a lot of stuff from the new album it may be in danger of being dropped, unfortunately.

10 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

well for their last semi-proper set, they played for about an hour at a pre-US election gig back in November and they did, so I'd say there's a decent chance.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2016/washington-park-cincinnati-oh-43fad7bb.html

Don't Swallow the Cap

Bloodbuzz Ohio

Sea of Love

I Need My Girl

This Is the Last Time

Pink Rabbits

England

Fake Empire

Mr. November

About Today

Terrible Love

I'd imagine it'll basically be the same at Glastonbury, but with The System Only.... replacing something, About Today i'd guess.

Unfortunately I'd imagine we'll get a few more new songs.

I'd like to think they're not stupid enough to waste their 1hr slot by roadtesting a few songs that won't be out for a few months that basically no-one will know.

I know they did new ones last year but that was in headline/long sets.

as Win Butler said, SHUT UP AND PLAY THE HITS!

Edited by ghostdancer1

14 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I'd like to think they're not stupid enough to waste their 1hr slot by roadtesting a few songs that won't be out for a few months that basically no-one will know.

I know they did new ones last year but that was in headline/long sets.

as Win Butler said, SHUT UP AND PLAY THE HITS!

Is that the Win Butler who is playing a few new songs that won't be out for a few months that basically no one will know in festival sets? ;)

Edited by fowls

2 minutes ago, Jobseeker said:

Have you listened to it through yet? 

On listen 3 now. Very good. Big departure in a lot of ways. Very electronic and innovative.  Not as bleak and poignant as Trouble Will Find Me. Love Nobody Else Will Be There, Born To Beg and Empire Line to death. Turtleneck might take a bit of persuasion...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dog Burger said:

On listen 3 now. Very good. Big departure in a lot of ways. Very electronic and innovative.  Not as bleak and poignant as Trouble Will Find Me. Love Nobody Else Will Be There, Born To Beg and Empire Line to death. Turtleneck might take a bit of persuasion...

Where do you live?

I'm coming over right now.