The National

Zoo Music Girl

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah as much as it pains me to say I'm expecting a Beck level of non-interest from the majority of the crowd. Real debacle on whether to get up front with there being a good chance of it being populated by purely Foos fans or hang back and hope I'm in a small pocket of people there to actually see The National.

Anecdotal, but I know quite a few people who are really excited for both, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a great atmosphere and set from them, and I don't think there's as much disparity as there was between Coldplay and Beck.

Edit: The National have actually supported the Foo Fighters in the past too, so there is a bit more crossover than Beck-gate!

Edited by FrancisH

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm just shocked it's taken me this long.

Hooray! I hope your new enjoyment hasn't been coupled with the bitterness of a clash. Now tell me all your favourite songs and let me tell you why you're wrong.

2 minutes ago, mario man said:

How certain are we that they are pyramid sub though? I think they may be other sub, which would be a marginally better slot for them imo 

They won't be an Other sub that's for sure. Most people have them down as Pyramid sub, but there's still a few with some lingering hope for an Other headline set. They'll certainly be in one of those two slots, and there's been supposedly good information filling the Other Stage headliners for every night, so Pyramid sub seems to be the only available one.

8 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Hooray! I hope your new enjoyment hasn't been coupled with the bitterness of a clash. Now tell me all your favourite songs and let me tell you why you're wrong.

They won't be an Other sub that's for sure. Most people have them down as Pyramid sub, but there's still a few with some lingering hope for an Other headline set. They'll certainly be in one of those two slots, and there's been supposedly good information filling the Other Stage headliners for every night, so Pyramid sub seems to be the only available one.

So who are they clashing with do we think?

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

@Hugh Jass even though this has been posted on this thread a few times I'm presuming you won't have watched it yet as you hadn't listened to them before. Well worth 5 minutes of your time. 

Cheers Swedge, enjoyed that. Have added Alligator and High Violet to my list.

Clashing with Avalanches I can live with as I have a sneaky suspicion they'll be pish, a clash with Solange would be a kick in the nuts though.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Cheers Swedge, enjoyed that. Have added Alligator and High Violet to my list.

Clashing with Avalanches I can live with as I have a sneaky suspicion they'll be pish, a clash with Solange would be a kick in the nuts though.

The hope is that due to Dave the Rave likely having a two hour odd slot (and the Jacksons having much less) means that any clash with Solange will be minimal. 

Fingers crossed it'll just mean worst case scenario a quick jog from the Pyramid to WH to catch the majority of Solange. 

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The hope is that due to Dave the Rave likely having a two hour odd slot (and the Jacksons having much less) means that any clash with Solange will be minimal. 

Fingers crossed it'll just mean worst case scenario a quick jog from the Pyramid to WH to catch the majority of Solange. 

Here's hoping.

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

A new album? So this means they'll be playing a load of new songs that even the fans dont know, in the pyramid sub slot that is notorious for being incredibly difficult for a band to generate a decent atmosphere in.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Maybe it's time to insist on a silent disco style performance where you can only hear them via headphones issued at the inner circle barrier bit- we can then listen to them intently without letting the larger audiences disinterest distract us

Edited by Mr.Tease

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

This is a nice idea. Someone needs to put @fightoffyour's avatar on a flag as a reference point.

Haha yes!

great idea. I mean, I'm not gonna do it cause I can't be fucked to carry a flag around, but someone should.

regardless, inside the barrier, level with the left (facing stage) edge of the sound booth, big pocket of National fans / efesters

Just now, sheerin_lfc said:

Is it completely terrible for me to hope that something happens that means Foo Fighters have to drop out again and The National get bumped up a spot?

That just wouldn't happen. Florence got bumped up 'cause she could've headlined anyway - she was a bigger than usual sub. The National were being questioned as a sub by many in the first place (and still are) so I doubt Glastonbury would have them headline, unless Foos pulled out like the day before.

17 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i think they'd almost certainly try swap The XX or Biffy Clyro to headline Saturday and shift up whoever was 3rd on their days to the empty sub spot (presumably Katy Perry/Chic/Royal Blood), before they were forced to have The National headline.

Yeah bumping Biffy up would make the most sense for sure due to them being another rawk band, and I'm sure they'd jump at the chance.

I know bands have done it with less build up before but I just can't see the album coming out prior to Glasto. Surely just a first single and promo around it and then a handful of new songs, with a proper tour later in the year. I hope so anyway. Much as I'd love some new material I won't be as familiar with it as I'd like by the festival and would rather a hits heavy set in that line-up position. 

That said I'm still part of the Other stage Pyramid Deniers squad.

I can't really see them dropping an album out of the blue, if only because their label is in the middle of promoting Bryce and Sufjan's Planetarium to pretty much the same audience and a new National album would completely overshadow it. 

I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking there'll be a single soon, then an album August/September

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I know bands have done it with less build up before but I just can't see the album coming out prior to Glasto. Surely just a first single and promo around it and then a handful of new songs, with a proper tour later in the year. I hope so anyway. Much as I'd love some new material I won't be as familiar with it as I'd like by the festival and would rather a hits heavy set in that line-up position. 

That said I'm still part of the Other stage Pyramid Deniers squad.

Yeah I'd imagine so. They're clearly not touring the album properly this Summer so that indicates the album won't be out by this Summer in my mind. One or two singles out, road-testing maybe 3 or 4 new songs including those at the couple of festivals they're doing this Summer, album and proper tour in the Autumn/Winter, then their actual festival tour in support of the album in 2018.

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

regardless, inside the barrier, level with the left (facing stage) edge of the sound booth, big pocket of National fans / efesters

I'll be there.  (CrowdFear permitting. Though my mate is really good in crowds and at keeping me right.  Payoff might be having to stay there after tho cos she loves a bit of Sprinty Dave). After witnessing what happened to Beck and being in the only group around us that were even bloody watching, I'm not having that happen to me for The National.