The National

Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

They could feasibly get a longer set as a sub, if the Foos get their seemingly endless set length, and there's 1 less act on the Pyramid than in previous years. Speculative, of course.

Hoping something like this could happen, although seems unlikely that The National would get a longer set than others - not exactly a super special sub, are they? The smallest one this year by a large margin. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Hoping something like this could happen, although seems unlikely that The National would get a longer set than others - not exactly a super special sub, are they? The smallest one this year by a large margin. 

Yeah, by this I mean more in the 75-90 minute bracket than the 60-70 minute one. Extra couple songs, nowt mental.

On 21/04/2017 at 0:43 PM, lazzareo said:

My intro to The National and my main favourites over the last few years started and grew to something like this over time, although they are a band where songs grow on you and faves change frequently.  But if I had to pick a Top 15 of my faves (order is my introduction to the songs rather than where they rate from 1 to 15):

1. England
  2. Runaway
  3. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks
  4. Abel
  5. All The Wine
  6. About Today
  7. Start A War
  8. Fake Empire
  9. Mr November
  10. Humiliation
  11. Pink Rabbits
  12. Heavenfaced
  13. Demons
  14. Lean
  15. Graceless

On 22/04/2017 at 1:54 PM, Will-2609 said:

As a selection of my favourite tracks to try out, hit up Pink Rabbits, Lit Up, Slow Show, Fake Empire, Karen, All the Wine, Mr November, Apartment Story, Bloodbuzz Ohio, Lemonworld, Conversation 16. Not really sure on the chances of them all being played but they're all brilliant songs.

Got a great playlist together now as a result of everyones suggestions, thanks for all your replies. Favourite track changes daily! I know everyone listens to music differently but lyrics can be as important to me as the music itself and these guys have really hit a nerve with a lot of theirs (in a good way). Really looking forward to seeing them live now, they've become one of my 'must see's' of the week. See you there - I'll be the guy miming the lyrics incorrectly then belting out the chorus ;)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Well...took a while to crack High Violet. Much longer than boxer for some reason. it's getting really good! Alligator up next I guess!

Alligator always seems like Boxer's younger less regarded brother but honestly it's fantastic, especially secret meeting, Karen, Abel and Mr November of course

3 hours ago, McCor said:

Just listening to "the essentials" playlist on iTunes.

Heard Pink Rabbits for the first time ever about 30 minutes ago, been on repeat since. Can't believe I've not had this song in my life until now!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to City Middle on headphones- surely I can't be the only one who appreciates this masterpiece? 

29 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Listen to City Middle on headphones- surely I can't be the only one who appreciates this masterpiece? 

City Middle is an underappreciated masterpiece actually. I forget it until I listen but those lyrics are some of my favourites. "Parking your car you said I'm overwhelmed..." Gorgeous.

32 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

City Middle is an underappreciated masterpiece actually. I forget it until I listen but those lyrics are some of my favourites. "Parking your car you said I'm overwhelmed..." Gorgeous.

Yep, I love everything about that song- the lyrics, the music, the vocals

The line that led me to The National was the droll delivery of "when I walk into a room I do not light it up", thanks to 6Music making Demons song of the week when it came out.  Imagine my glee when I grabbed the album the next day and discovered my now-favourite use of the f word in a song ever immediately follows it. 

Frustrating to be so late to the game but also satisfying to have a back catalogue to delve into.  I did an album a month so I didn't get too full too fast.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently 'warming up' again for The National - I had an amnesty from them last 12 months after over indulging previously! Still can't believe they are on the line up!!!

Moving through the albums again in prep of glasto, I've Started on Alligator, now onto Boxer.

The outcome is that I have a collection of songs that I want them to play (from these 2 albums), which is fairly different to my wish list 12 months ago - such is the strength of their work. As per latest soundings, from these two I want them to play:

Daughters of the Soho Riots

All the Wine

The Geese of Beverley Road

Mr November (of course)

Brainy

Squalor Victoria 

Slow Show 

Guest Room (my favourite National song)

Gospel

I'll surely add to this list after listening again to HV & TWFM...