The National

Zoo Music Girl

On 06/04/2017 at 1:32 PM, fightoffyour said:

Yes full attention needed. Stick with it. It may take some time to get into it, but once it clicks you'll be glad. It will also take longer to get in to some (perhaps slower) songs, but these will ultimately become your favourites. And you'll never look back.

This. Thanks to this thread I have purchased Alligator, Boxer and High Violet and have been listening for a couple of weeks. Simply wonderful. So thank you once again efesters. I think that England is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. 

Where do I go next?

19 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

This. Thanks to this thread I have purchased Alligator, Boxer and High Violet and have been listening for a couple of weeks. Simply wonderful. So thank you once again efesters. I think that England is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. 

Where do I go next?

Trouble Will Find Me, then the Virginia EP and Cherry Tree EP. After that, your down to the first 2 albums that most people don't really like.

20 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Where do I go next?

Had a similar thing happen, ive religiously stuck to high violet and trouble will find me but boxer and alligator are brilliant having now give them a proper listen

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Trouble Will Find Me, then the Virginia EP and Cherry Tree EP. After that, your down to the first 2 albums that most people don't really like.

Onwards we go. Will do. Cheers

• Upvote 1

Starting to make my mind up now and if these guys clash with the Avalanches/Solange which is almost certain, I will probably be on the West Holts stage unfortunately. On paper I prefer the national but the fact it'll probably be the only chance to see the avalanches and the fact that the national have been put in such a shitty slot makes me think seeing them at another time might be better. Maybe I'll get tickets to primavera next year and they'll headline with a new album under their belt :) that could happen actually...

Edited by Acid_Haze

11 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sad songs for dirty lovers is alright but not a patch on what came after but the eponymous debut is better left undiscovered. 

I like them both, prefer the debut actually. There's a handful of good songs between them for anyone who wants to delve deeper I would recommend checking out Available, Cardinal Song, Slipping Husband and 90-Mile Water Wall off Sad Songs and Pay For Me, Cold Girl Fever and John's Star off the self-titled debut. Plus 29 Years lyrics are featured in Slow Show.

Of those, Available is most likely to be played live, but still highly unlikely to feature in their Glastonbury set.

Edited by fightoffyour

11 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

Starting to make my mind up now and if these guys clash with the Avalanches/Solange which is almost certain, I will probably be on the West Holts stage unfortunately. On paper I prefer the national but the fact it'll probably be the only chance to see the avalanches and the fact that the national have been put in such a shitty slot makes me think seeing them at another time might be better. Maybe I'll get tickets to primavera next year and they'll headline with a new album under their belt :) that could happen actually...

I'd like to see Avalanches so is the consensus third down West Holts Saturday? If so I should be able to do both hopefully? If not I'll have to go The National. Been wanting to see them at Glastonbury ever since I fucked up my last two opportunities to do so.

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I like them both, prefer the debut actually. There's a handful of good songs between them for anyone who wants to delve deeper I would recommend checking out Available, Cardinal Song, Slipping Husband and 90-Mile Water Wall off Sad Songs and Pay For Me, Cold Girl Fever and John's Star off the self-titled debut. Plus 29 Years lyrics are featured in Slow Show.

Of those, Available is most likely to be played live, but still highly unlikely to feature in their Glastonbury set.

Ahem...

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'd like to see Avalanches so is the consensus third down West Holts Saturday? If so I should be able to do both hopefully? If not I'll have to go The National. Been wanting to see them at Glastonbury ever since I fucked up my last two opportunities to do so.

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. Was all geared up for my Avalanches/Solange Saturday but The National are probably my second favourite band behind Radiohead (that are currently active) so the opportunity to see them at Glastonbury is too good to pass up. Gutted though, Avalanches in the (hopefully) sunshine will be a moment. 

EDIT- And yeah, to take your point on timings: Foos will likely get the same 2.5 hour set that they were scheduled for in 2015 meaning the Pyramid sub would actually clash with 3rd down on WH. Means I should be able to catch most of Solange after the National though which is at least something. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. Was all geared up for my Avalanches/Solange Saturday but The National are probably my second favourite band behind Radiohead (that are currently active) so the opportunity to see them at Glastonbury is too good to pass up. Gutted though, Avalanches in the (hopefully) sunshine will be a moment. 

EDIT- And yeah, to take your point on timings: Foos will likely get the same 2.5 hour set that they were scheduled for in 2015 meaning the Pyramid sub would actually clash with 3rd down on WH. Means I should be able to catch most of Solange after the National though which is at least something. 

Ah okay. That's a shame if so, so I hope not.

So is the consensus that due to pyramids longer headline set for foos, it will be pyramid sub and west holts 3rd down that will clash directly.

So in this case The National and Avalanches

if so this is deeply upsetting to me as they were prob two of my top 5 must sees on the 1st poster

17 minutes ago, internetjef said:

So is the consensus that due to pyramids longer headline set for foos, it will be pyramid sub and west holts 3rd down that will clash directly.

So in this case The National and Avalanches

if so this is deeply upsetting to me as they were prob two of my top 5 must sees on the 1st poster

I'm refusing to believe it until we know it's true.

I listened to both versions of Terrible Love today and I'm still baffled they chose the album version over the alternate one, I much prefer the alternate one. 

Currently listening to Trouble Will Find Me after doing the the four big albums back to back and despite always thinking High Violet was my favourite I think I might have Boxer and Trouble Will Find Me ahead of it now. 

Been going back to Boxer in recent weeks, I think I like it much more now. I listened to it on a long train journey (excellent place to listen to music in my view; window seat, watch England's green and pleasant lands roll past, absorb tunes, had some real music epiphanies on board Branson's trains)  and really got to grips with it. I think I'd dismissed a lot of it because it starts much stronger than it ends, but I'd overlooked Slow Show and Apartment Story, which are brilliant.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

As are mistaken for strangers, Start a war and racing like a pro. 

Was a fan of Mistaken For Strangers anyway, big tune, only one I would've asked to be added to the setlist at Latitude. Start A War is great on the album, not sure how well it would work life, I definitely don't see it going down well before the Foos. Racing Like A Pro I'm not all that fussed about, can file that one with Ada and that last song (forgot the name). Guest Room is pretty sweet.

Never warmed to the alternate Terrible Love, the album one is fire tho.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Guest room is ace. Not bothered about Gospel either, but I do like Ada. wasn't that fussed on green gloves but it's grown on me. Squalor Victoria has gone the other way. 

Still like it, but others have overtaken it over the years.

Err actually just giving Ada a fact-finding listen after I posted that, it's pretty great really. Saw some live footage of Squalor Victoria and it looked like a good time (Sydney Opera House I think), but I find the recorded version a bit pedestrian.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Even if we ignore the obvious Mr November,  there are still Karen, Lit up, Abel and All the wine as 4 sure-fire belters. Never mind the slow-growers of geese of beverley Road, Secret Meeting, Daughters of the Soho Riots and looking for Astronauts. 

Forgot about Abel actually, proper banger. I can't bear Karen though, painful.