The National

Zoo Music Girl

They would be the best headliner the JPT has ever seen (even topping Suede last year) and it is the perfect setting for them. Their performance at the inaugural Radio 6 fest might be the best gig I've ever been to but I think they get lost in a field in the daylight. Put them up against Radiohead and make people choose. Most will get it wrong and I won't get too crushed down the front!

1 minute ago, jimmyt said:

You guys are missing the point - they'd be better on the JPT (or The Park) than in a huge open space. Of course they could sub the Pyramid but I want magic (not FM) and atmosphere. Plus, a headline slot means El Vy can play about 4.30pm on the Other/Park too. 

We'll yeah they'd be better sure, but it's not realistic. Nick Cave would be better in there too. 

Also don't wish a Radiohead/National clash on me you monster.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We'll yeah they'd be better sure, but it's not realistic. Nick Cave would be better in there too. 

Also don't wish a Radiohead/National clash on me you monster.

Now you're talking! JPT headliners of The National, Nick Cave and Gomez (weird current revisited obsession) would make it the best line up ever, even if Oldplay and Adele are top in the Pyramid field.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

considering they're the biggest rumour for Latitude at the moment i'd bet that they'll be an exclusive there unfortunately - hopefully we'll get em come the new album

How come Neil hasn't got them listed as such, then? I'm not doubting you (and the Latitude line up rumours are thin, to say the least) but if they're such a "big" rumour I'd have thought they'd get a mention.

Just now, jimmyt said:

How come Neil hasn't got them listed as such, then? I'm not doubting you (and the Latitude line up rumours are thin, to say the least) but if they're such a "big" rumour I'd have thought they'd get a mention.

i'm not sure. the 'info' has just been a couple of random posters on here saying that they're one of the headliners, so maybe Neil hasn't seen this or doesn't buy in to it. then again the only current headliner rumour on the Latitude page is Sigur Ros from ages ago so he probably just hasn't been paying much attention to it

I have a strange roundabout theory that puts The National in the mix, based on a pattern in the Longitude lineup, ever since Longitude started.

In 2013 the Longitude headliners were Phoenix, Vampire Weekend and Kraftwerk. Both Vampire Weekend and Phoenix played Glastonbury that year.

In 2014 the Longitude headliners were Massive Attack, Disclosure and Ben Howard. Both Massive Attack and Disclosure played Glastonbury that year.

In 2015 the Longitude headliners were Hozier, Alt-J and The Chemical Brothers. All 3 of those headliners played Glastonbury that year.

In 2016 the Longitude headliners are Kendrick Lamar, Major Lazer and The National. Major Lazer have been ruled out because they're playing this festival: http://www.electricforestfestival.com/experience/lineup/, and Kendrick Lamar is potentially not playing based on BST exclusivity. This leaves The National, and it would be quite unusual if none of the Longitude headliners play Glastonbury this year. Based on this pattern they've got to be playing.

I'm onto something, I know.

Edited by Acid_Haze
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I have a strange roundabout theory that puts The National in the mix, based on a pattern in the Longitude lineup, ever since Longitude started.

In 2013 the Longitude headliners were Phoenix, Vampire Weekend and Kraftwerk. Both Vampire Weekend and Phoenix played Glastonbury that year.

In 2014 the Longitude headliners were Massive Attack, Disclosure and Ben Howard. Both Massive Attack and Disclosure played Glastonbury that year.

In 2015 the Longitude headliners were Hozier, Alt-J and The Chemical Brothers. All 3 of those headliners played Glastonbury that year.

In 2016 the Longitude headliners are Kendrick Lamar, Major Lazer and The National. Major Lazer have been ruled out because they're playing this festival: http://www.electricforestfestival.com/experience/lineup/, and Kendrick Lamar is potentially not playing based on BST exclusivity. This leaves The National, and it would be quite unusual if none of the Longitude headliners play Glastonbury this year. Based on this pattern they've got to be playing.

I'm onto something, I know.

I like it! I kind of hope they're not at Latitude, unless I don't get a Glastonbury ticket, and then I might consider doing that... but it's in school holidays so might be tricky for me to get holiday. They do day tickets for Latitude right? Also when in hell is that announcing?

1 minute ago, Acid_Haze said:

In 2016 the Longitude headliners are Kendrick Lamar, Major Lazer and The National. Major Lazer have been ruled out because they're playing this festival: http://www.electricforestfestival.com/experience/lineup/, and Kendrick Lamar is potentially not playing based on BST exclusivity. This leaves The National, and it would be quite unusual if none of the Longitude headliners play Glastonbury this year.

if we get any of the Longitude headliners then i'm definitely hoping for Kendrick's BST exclusive to be bollocks and to get him over The National, but you may be right. subbing Radiohead is a good shout, even if that may all be a bit too mopey for them to actually go ahead with. could easily see them taking third as well though

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

The National only headlined Latitude a couple of years ago didn't they?

2011, so it's a fair gap. would be Latitudes first repeat headliner but i guess they've gotta take that dive at some point and The National are huge favourites there so it makes sense for it to be them

56 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

2011, so it's a fair gap. would be Latitudes first repeat headliner but i guess they've gotta take that dive at some point and The National are huge favourites there so it makes sense for it to be them

Maybe it seems closer to me cos I saw them headline the year before as well (that was in the Uncut tent) - then they headlined the year after on the Obelisk. Must just seem like the are there every year! How time flies.

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

Maybe it seems closer to me cos I saw them headline the year before as well (that was in the Uncut tent) - then they headlined the year after on the Obelisk. Must just seem like the are there every year! How time flies.

yeah i found that rebooking weird - being boosted to headliner in a year despite having released no new material/still touring the same album. they may have risen in popularity but surely plan A must've fallen through that year in order for them to be rebooked

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

if we get any of the Longitude headliners then i'm definitely hoping for Kendrick's BST exclusive to be bollocks and to get him over The National, but you may be right. subbing Radiohead is a good shout, even if that may all be a bit too mopey for them to actually go ahead with. could easily see them taking third as well though

Tbh as far as this pattern suggests, we could get both

36 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

But it was great : )

I think they have played 4 times over the years so along with British Sea Power they are definitely Festival Favourites

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I like it! I kind of hope they're not at Latitude, unless I don't get a Glastonbury ticket, and then I might consider doing that... but it's in school holidays so might be tricky for me to get holiday. They do day tickets for Latitude right? Also when in hell is that announcing?

Yes, they do day tickets - was about 80 bones for Portishead last year. They are announcing in March.