The National

Zoo Music Girl

• 3 months later...

saw El Vy this past wednesday at the 930 Club in Wash DC (if you ever get a chance to be in DC, it's honestly one of the best venues in America...) - i must admit that I'm trying to, but just not that into the album, and wasn't blown away by the gig itself, just glad that i saw them once as I do like The National a lot...Berninger entertaining as usual though w/ his banter, as in explaining how they came up with their 'cover song' "She Drives Me Crazy" (FYC) in a taxi in Brussels

On 16/11/2015, 11:51:15, Vanderlyle said:

This El Vy album is pretty damn good.

Got tickets for the show at Electric Ballroom on the 9th and can't go anymore. If anyone has tickets for the show on the 10th and wants to swap then let me know :)

If you've got a pair and are happy to just sell them, shoot me a PM

I saw this headline and thought, wow, good on The National, they've had a go at everyone's least favourite fascist propaganda rag: http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/nov/18/the-nationals-attack-on-the-daily-mail-is-hopelessly-wrong

But it turns out they've failed to say anything at all about Rothermere & co, so they go back down in my estimation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tuned in to that Q+A last night and although the bad news is there will be no new record ... like you've just said they are still heavily touring. No plans to tour ELVY in festival season. The good news is that matt was clearly ignoring questions about glastonbury (at one time he even muttered 'not answering that one'). It wasn't an overly busy feed so I'm 100% sure he was reading them. I see that as either they are in talks/on lineup or still annoyed about not being there last year.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to make of this. The Tinderbox festival is run by the same company as the Hurricane and Southside Festival (both on the same weekend). So a deal to have them play all those 3 festivals seems likely. They're playing the Tinderbox Festival on thursday, so they could do the Hurricane Festival (north of Germany) on friday, Southside Festival (south of Germany) on saturday and then play Glastonbury on the sunday. But this would mean 4 gigs in 4 days. On the other hand, Hurricane and Southside Festival released some bands last week so couldn't have they announced The National, too, if they would play? Fingers crossed it's finally happening, although I'm not so sure...

Hurricane and Southside Festival just announced a big load of bands and The National weren't one of them. So it's looking a bit better for us here...

Another bit that makes me think this might actually be happening: so far they're playing the Tinderbox Festival on June 23rd and they just got announced for the Down The Rabbit Hole Festival in the Netherlands from June 24th-26th. So far I thought they were booked for the Hurricane and Southside Festivals in Germany on the same weekend (since it's the same promoter as the Tinderbox Festival) , but now this would now mean 4 gigs in 4 days and the route so far seems to be Denmark, Netherlands and, all things considered, Glastonbury now seems the more likely option.

• 1 month later...

Okay so as we all know The National have been massive teasers over the last few years, consistently playing just over the pond in Europe around the time of the festival. Not sure if the Netherlands festival has been well documented but yesterday I got the below from their mailing list. I think it's very interesting that it says UK (although they could just be making a terrible faux pas and mean Ireland):

"We’ll be playing a few additional shows this year in New Zealand, Australia, UK & Europe, dates are below. Visit http://americanmary.com/#tour for ticket information.

3/19    Auckland, New Zealand, Auckland City Limits
3/25    Byron Bay, Australia, Byron Bay Bluesfest

6/11  North Adams, MA, USA, MASS MoCA (benefit for Hawthorne Valley and MASS MoCA)
6/23  Odense, Denmark, Tinderbox
6/24-26  Beuningen, Netherlands, Down the Rabbit Hole

7/12  Pistoia, Italy, Pistoia Blues Festival
7/14  Lisbon, Portugal, Super Bock Super Rock
7/17  Dublin, Ireland, Longitude Festival"

Also as I don't have a ticket and Radiohead and LCD also look likely it figures these guys would be there too...

Discuss. Got to be other headliners if there surely. I still think not being booked as such put them off previously. 

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Someone had to

True dat. Would be glorious. LCD and new order as my other headliners and Cave aside it's my perfect festival line up basically.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

neither radiohead nor the national will be at glastonbury festival this year.

nor will pj harvery or sigur ros.

What makes you so sure? Other than general contrariness? 

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

neither radiohead nor the national will be at glastonbury festival this year.

nor will pj harvery or sigur ros.

Yep, the line up is:

Coldplay, MUSE, Adele, Rihanna playing a Neil Young tribute set, David Cameron in the leftfield, no booze on site and anyone having a good time to be thown in the river  (that everyone else has pissed in)?