The National

Zoo Music Girl

i'm not liking the look of that new date in brooklyn in june with then nothing til edinburgh on 10th july. hopefully they'll flesh out the start of july with some euro gigs and give me hope for glasto.

Posted this in another thread but I think it looks like a one off considering they're in Europe for 2-3 weeks before it and again throughout July.

You specifically because you're good on the rumours and that :)

Cheers! Thought they were an SR, hence the widespread disappointment. My friend has a theory that they are only after stage headline slots now and that does seem to be the case. Maybe that's why they didn't play last year, but they're much bigger now.

Appreciate they're not headlining the Neil Young thing, but that seems a special case.

Yeah they seem to flit about quite a bit, so I wouldn't worry too much about the US date. Am I right in thinking the Manchester show next week is a stand alone European show in between Asian and US legs of the tour?

I believe it is, yeah, so you may be right. Just depends how many standalone dates like that they want to do I guess. Their touring schedule is punishing!

That makes sense - plus Neil saying he now doesn't think Pixies are headlining Other means (as we stand) Metallica, Massive Attack and A.N. other. Pixies to sub National on Other?

Unless National want main stage and are subbing AF (but that would surprise me after Leedsfest the other year - maybe that's why they want to headline smaller stages).

Not sure Crazy Horse (esp live) is the best way to get into Neil Young if you don't really know any of his stuff. Like Yorkies it's not for girls :ninja: .

It's very self indulgent long guitar jams. (8 minutes of feedback heaven at the end of Walk like a Giant last year). Brilliant if you know the stuff, but I could see it becoming tedious if not.

But yes, 60 quid for that and the National I reckon is well worth it. Any other decent bands that day would be a bonus.

The fact it hasn't sold out says more about the music-buying public of today than anything else.

Surely they wouldn't put Pixies and The National as a top 2 on Other on the Friday and make it clash with Arcade Fire? I'd imagine all 3 have quite a big crossover in terms of fans. I think they'd fare better subbing Arcade Fire than they did on the main stage at R+L as I think quite a lot of people would want to see both acts.

Headlining Other on the Saturday would be ideal for me, though Metallica obviously looking really likely for that.

I can't do 5. top 10 in no order

Start a war

England

Bloodbuzz Ohio

Karen

Ada

Conversation 16

Slow Show

Vandelyle Crybaby Geeks

Abel

Graceless

Heavenfaced

Pink Rabbits

All the Wine

I should live in Salt

Mr November

Turns out I can't do 10. That' my top 15.

YOU MISSPELLED VANDERLYLE!

Not a bad top 15. My top 20 will crap all over it though.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

but then just you wait for my top 83; you'll be embarrassed by your top 20

I await your top 83 with bated breath. I could read The National lists until the cows come home.

Oh strike me down now!

Top 20 is cheating! At least 15 has a 5 in it!

I made up the game (well, kind of) so I am changing the rules. I may try for a 15 though. I'm very bored at work today so may even do it this afternoon instead of saving it for my Manchester Megabus experience. Oh the life of me.

I was bored at work so I've banged that Sydney gig on you tube on. After this I have a productive afternoon of work I've brought into the office with me.

TWFM - Queen is Dead - Boatman's call - Generation Terrorists - Never mind the boll#cks - Station to station. And when everyone else disappears I have Uncut Lou Reed special to read.

The upside of not giving a shit cos you're leaving and there's fuck all to do.

Sydney gig is SO good. You'll be gutted you're not going to Manchester!

Is there an other band that divides opinion on songs so much?

Usually people can at least agree that are few songs are clearly outstanding, but here there's not even agreement on Mr November, Abel and Fake Empire being some of their top songs (just the obvious choices).

It's because The National are WIN.

• Upvote 1