The National

Zoo Music Girl

I really really love alligator and boxer. They are incredible. I can play them any time and in any mood. High violet I also like but I don't think it's as consistent as those 2. The are great live but I don't like Matt berninger as a front man at all, not that it makes much difference.

This is the first tour I haven't tried to get tickets for though as I can't get into the new one at all. I dunno why.

Sad songs for dirty lovers may as well be by a different band, it's dung.

I really wish I'd seen them when they headlined jp in 2008 but I went with a friend to see the verve instead. They were ok in 2010 in the sun but miles better at their own gigs. Disappointed not to the going this month after reading this thread but I assume they will play loads off the new one so can't justify the expense really

Alligator my fave!

Working in London for a couple of days next week. Have already managed to coincide it with the Arcade Fire / Reflektors gig but so so tempted to double it up with these guys on the Wednesday.

Never been to the Alexandra Palace before. What's it like as a venue?

Love Trouble Will Find me btw but Boxer is still top of a very lofty pile for me. :)

I'd say do it if you can get a ticket :) I'm ecstatic to be seeing two of my favourite bands in one week!

Personally I like Ally Pally as a venue, it's pretty big but it has a nice feel to it. I think they have a decent cider too, which is important! The only problem with it for me is that it's such a total mare to get to. Thought of that though and have booked the following day off.

I really really love alligator and boxer. They are incredible. I can play them any time and in any mood. High violet I also like but I don't think it's as consistent as those 2. The are great live but I don't like Matt berninger as a front man at all, not that it makes much difference.

This is the first tour I haven't tried to get tickets for though as I can't get into the new one at all. I dunno why.

Sad songs for dirty lovers may as well be by a different band, it's dung.

I really wish I'd seen them when they headlined jp in 2008 but I went with a friend to see the verve instead. They were ok in 2010 in the sun but miles better at their own gigs. Disappointed not to the going this month after reading this thread but I assume they will play loads off the new one so can't justify the expense really

Alligator my fave!

So you've seen them a few times then?

I totally agree with your assessment of Alligator, Boxer and High Violet. Echoes my sentiments exactly. I do like the song Jokers posted above though so going to give Sad Songs a go.

I would say watch them on Jools if you haven't already - the new songs seem way better live. Looks genuinely exciting.

I was there at JP in 2008 and then left early. Still kicking myself but I didn't like them as much then. Gutting though.

If you thought they were good last night, you are going to love them 'properly' live. I thought they sounded 'thin' last night but again the BBC hardly ever gets the sound levels right. Have seen them live a few times now and they are much more powerful, one of my favourite live bands - Matt can get very emotional/angsty and the Dessner twins are excellent, in fact they are all a 'class act'.

Yes, fairly sure we will get Mr November and Abel next week. One of my favourite moments was at a small venue at Warwick Uni a few years ago when Matt came into the crowd and sang Vanderlyle without mic on his own. For ballad type songs it's hard to chose between Nick's Love Letter in France and that one live - so I'm not going to. We are really looking forward to seeing them again.

Have a wonderful time tomorrow evening - I am not green with envy at all.

I'd say do it if you can get a ticket :) I'm ecstatic to be seeing two of my favourite bands in one week!

Personally I like Ally Pally as a venue, it's pretty big but it has a nice feel to it. I think they have a decent cider too, which is important! The only problem with it for me is that it's such a total mare to get to. Thought of that though and have booked the following day off.

I'm almost convinced!

When you say it's a mare to get to. Do you mean for you personally or in general? I'll be at the mercy of public transport and will need to get back to Hendon after the gig. Doable? I'm not from round these parts you see! :)

I'm almost convinced!

When you say it's a mare to get to. Do you mean for you personally or in general? I'll be at the mercy of public transport and will need to get back to Hendon after the gig. Doable? I'm not from round these parts you see! :)

Well I suppose I meant for me really :P

Hendon is north London though, so I'd say it will be easier to get to there. Neither are areas I know well, sorry! I think the quickest way back is to get a bus to the nearest tube. Definitely doable, just takes ages! I'll be using public transport myself but haven't looked into it. Still, I've been at least three times before so can't be that bad.

Check out the venue and Transport for London websites - that should help.

Well I suppose I meant for me really :P

Hendon is north London though, so I'd say it will be easier to get to there. Neither are areas I know well, sorry! I think the quickest way back is to get a bus to the nearest tube. Definitely doable, just takes ages! I'll be using public transport myself but haven't looked into it. Still, I've been at least three times before so can't be that bad.

Check out the venue and Transport for London websites - that should help.

Thanks, I think I'm going to go for it anyway and see what happens :)

I saw them at Oxegen 2011, shite crowd as it is a more mainstream festival but i loved it

Was very surprised they weren't announced for 2013, they were strong rumour on here as well

I fully expect them to be there next year

The question is, where would people place them??

I think 4th on the Pyramid or 2nd or 3rd on the Other

Gonna second sad songs being one of their best, and available being one of their best songs. I was so surprised and happy when they played that in Bristol 2 years back.

Their debut self titled isn't too bad, it's worth a listen but nothing special. What you are really missing out on is the Cherry Tree EP- Cherry Tree and Wasps Nest are great. Also check out the Virginia EP if you haven't (bsides from Boxer)

Ahh this is at Alexandra palace isn't it, that's another reason I didn't get tickets. Horrific venue!

I'll second that. It's bloody awful. Got great views over London outside though.

I'm off to the Apollo in Manc, nearly forgot about it until the tickets turned up today. Think I ordered them in April.

All the wine please

i walk to and from the gym every day (about forty minutes there, forty minutes back) and then spend like 2 hours at the gym, so i usually listen to a large portion of one bands particular discography each time on my iPod. i did The National a couple of weeks back after giving them not much of my attention (think i'd given both High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me one listen each. hadn't listened to the rest) and i absolutely loved them. haven't got a favourite as i was listening to them all in quick succession so it was hard to pick out where one album ended and the next begun (although i think Alligator stood out for me, especially when i heard Abel. had no idea The National did songs like that until then) but i was instantly won over. REALLY hope they do Glastonbury next year. honestly can't see them going down particularly well at a festival (thought them being third on the main stage at Reading and Leeds a couple of years back was bizarre) but fuck it

/end story of how i like The National now

Their debut self titled isn't too bad, it's worth a listen but nothing special. What you are really missing out on is the Cherry Tree EP- Cherry Tree and Wasps Nest are great. Also check out the Virginia EP if you haven't (bsides from Boxer)

Awesome - thanks for tips! Will do both. I think I'll probably get the first album too for the sake of completion.

I think Abel is probably one of my favourite songs of all time. It took me a long while to get Alligator after the other two and it just blew me away. Really hope I get to see it live.

New album is all about Graceless - other favourites are obviously Bloodbuzz Ohio, Lemonworld, Mistaken For Strangers (favourite song of theirs) and Apartment Story.

First listened to them back in 2006 but I think it was only a handful of Sad Songs tracks.

Very excited to see them at the Ally Pally, especially after being quite let down at Glastonbury '10.

Are they a good festival band? Am I right to be very excited about the upcoming gig? Are the pre-Alligator albums worth getting?

Yes, yes and yes.

All the older National stuff is absolutely worth checking out. The albums are maybe not as cohesive as Alligator onwards, but there are some damn great songs on them - Bitters & Absolut from the debut, the whole first half of Sad Songs, Wasp's Nest and About Today from the Cherry Tree EP. About Today is among my favourite National tracks ever. Don't pay any attention to people warning you off - have a listen to them all and decide for yourself!