The National

Zoo Music Girl

I know there's a The National thread knocking around here somewhere but I'm buggered if I can find it! Anyway they sound incredible on Jools Holland tonight. Making me extremely excited for their gig on the 13th of this month :)

I'm pretty much obsessed with Alligator, Boxer and High Violet and love the new album, if obsession is not quite the word there yet. I think seeing them live could do the trick for that one. I never have seen them so far despite them being at Glastonbury twice when I was! I saw a tiny bit o their set in 2008 (I think) but had to leave it early and am forever gutted. Are they a good festival band? Am I right to be very excited about the upcoming gig? Are the pre-Alligator albums worth getting? I've been told not.

And to make it relevant I reckon they must be likely for Glastonbury 2014.

Edit: so many red wine typos...

Edited by RebeccaD

Everyone else shit so far, chat with Terry Pratchett notwithstanding.

My God they are so good! This is my first live experience of The National, albeit on TV and despite those few minutes at Glastonbury, but I can see how they come into their own live. I think I'm going to be blown away. And I'm not the type to build things up too much ;)

I've listened to it loads but it doesn't quite click like the other three. I think seeing it live is the answer.

I love 'I Need My Girl' and 'Pink Rabbits' though. And 'Dont Swallow The Cap'. It's a great album actually.

My favourites by them are 'Abel' and 'Mr November'. Any chance of these?

All fucking amazing songs. They have a ton, they're glorious.

But do you have anything pre-Boxer? I've been warned off it (by the friend that got me into them) and haven't got round to checing. I'd say I came to them at the same time as you then.

Argh fucking excited if I get Mr November or Abel. Or anything really. But gah. This is going to be one of those drunken threads you regret in the morning isn't it?

What the hell did I do I 2010 then? I saw Dead Weather.

They clashed with Dead Weather. I meant the reason I only caught the end as opposed to seeing their whole set was I was watching Dead weather. Caught the end of their set on way back to tent (Park Home) as they were on Other Stage.

Alligator is pre-boxer. I've seen that Russy bloke slag off Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers on here and he seems like a pretty big National fan. I think that's the one before Alligator. There's an eponymous debut but I haven't heard a thing from it, nor ever heard it discussed.

I won't regret it - I'm at work. (maybe it's worse that I know what I'm typing).

I meant pre-Alligator. I get those two confused.

That'll be why I didn't see them then. Thanks for clarifying. I think they are the kind of band who are better at a gig anyway.

He was one of the many championing them to play this year. (obviously!) I was quite surprised they didn't to be honest.

I think High Violet's my favourite album. The consensus tends to be Boxer or Alligator. Alligator's my least favourite (even though it's brilliant).

Reckon I'm Alligator, Boxer, High Violet, Trouble Will Find Me. And then the two unknown. I don't believe they can be that bad when those four are that good though.

They're like Nick Cave though in that I feel bad rating albums. Like rating your children or something. I imagine.

Amazed they didn't play this year but I know they would have clashed anyway.

I agree. Need their "own" atmosphere in a way.

Dead Weather were ace though. Got new double a side coming out and album planned for 2015 - consisting of all the double a side's they're releasing between now and then on vinyl for 3rd man records subscribers only initially.

I don't own any Dead Weather! Just went out of love for Jack White really but thought they were awesome. 2010 was my favourite Glastonbury. Just perfect from start to finish.

No Scottish dates on their current tour so here's hoping they are at Glastonbury next year

Yeah would have liked to have seen them this time round, November is a brilliant month for me for gigs anyway but The National at the Barra's would have been a wee cherry on top

I won't regret it - I'm at work. (maybe it's worse that I know what I'm typing).

Just realised you thought I was implying you were drunk - was on about myself. And I was. But I think it's a highly successful thread regardless :) References to being buttered aside,

The National were brilliant on Jools but there was some amount of nonsense on it tonight.

Would like to see them return in 2014 and headline somewhere, Were fantastic in 2010.

Sad Songs is a fine album and contains one of their best songs...

http://youtu.be/vMrMFA2fMYs

Thanks so much for posting this - I reckon it's ace! Really need to get this album. I love his voice so much; it's one of my favourites. Do they play much from it live these days, anyone know?

Ed209, I'm not sure I'd use the word 'dreary' but I do know what you mean. You do have to be in the right mood and I don't know how well those songs would go down third or fourth down on Pyramid for example. Park headline is an excellent shout for these I think. You seeing them in London?

• Upvote 1

Working in London for a couple of days next week. Have already managed to coincide it with the Arcade Fire / Reflektors gig but so so tempted to double it up with these guys on the Wednesday.

Never been to the Alexandra Palace before. What's it like as a venue?

Love Trouble Will Find me btw but Boxer is still top of a very lofty pile for me. :)