Queens of the Stone Age are exclusive to Download. When The Horrors last played Bestival (2012), it was in the Big Top and they weren't headlining it, so I don't see why they'd be a main stage headliner. The time before that (2009) was in the Big Top in an afternoon slot, to about 30 people.

QOTSA were exclusive to download last year. Would think them very unlikely to return to download this year

The fact they've held off announcing the Sunday headliner until now would suggest a contractual issue, maybe until an act had finished a run of shows as to not affect their sales? Apart from Prince, who else has finished touring this weekend? I'm flummoxed.

If I were a betting man I'd plump for Dolly. With Prince as an outside bet.

The fact they've held off announcing the Sunday headliner until now would suggest a contractual issue, maybe until an act had finished a run of shows as to not affect their sales? Apart from Prince, who else has finished touring this weekend? I'm flummoxed.

Or it could be the case that they were trying to book an act for a while & failed & now they've had to book an alternative, hence why it wasn't announced with the other headliners.

I'm pretty sure that was the case with the Friday night headline slot last year when RDB was trying to persuade Arcade Fire, couldn't, so ended up booking FatBoy Slim instead.

this isn't that late on to be announcing the last headliner is it? i didn't go last year so wasn't keeping track very well but i'm sure Fatboy Slim was announced much later? (although i really have no idea)

i really hope it isn't late because the initial act fell through. always so disappointing to hear that

Dolly's doing a big European tour this summer, but there's a Glastonbury-sized gap during the UK leg. I doubt she'd be persuaded back for Bestival, but who knows...? (Except I'm pretty sure Rob's already said it isn't her.)

Chase & Status seem the most obvious shout, but when you put them in with Foals & Outkast it's not really up to Bestival's usual curveball standards is it?

Can't think who else it'd be, mind.

yeah Foals and Chase & Status were the two acts that immediately came to my mind to headline Bestival this year before anything had been announced… and so for it to actually be those two would be disappointing, as Bestival has always been one to throw in the unexpected

i'm hoping it's a big pop act or something similar and not necessarily a dance act - i know Bestival has tended to have a dance / electronic act headline the past few years but it doesn't need to become the norm / expected

I've done my workings-out, and reckon that these are the contenders, in order of likelihood. Although if the plural "headliners" means we're expecting a group, then ignore the solo acts:

1. Chase and Status

(2. Tinie Tempah)

3= Portishead

3= Depeche Mode

(5. Skrillex)

6. Duran Duran

7. Pixies

(8. Kylie)

9. Pet Shop Boys

------ I don't think any of the following lot are likely at all:

10= Basement Jaxx

10= The Black Keys

10= Scooter

10= Vampire Weekend

14= Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

14= Nine Inch Nails

(14= Janelle Monáe)

17= The Strokes

(17= Lionel Richie)

19 The Chemical Brothers

20 Prince & 3rdeyegirl

21 Pulp

(22 Morrissey)

(My workings-out are based on availability, likelihood of being asked to headline, and likelihood of agreeing to play.)

Edited by smogo

RdB has already said it isn't Prince so he's the equally least likely of all acts. Probably equal with Scooter actually.

I'd have Portishead as second favourites after C+S. Skrillex and Tinie Tempah are nasty ones I hadn't thought about, that 'headliners' thing might cross them off though, along with Kylie who was actually probably a decent shout.

Major Lazer followed by Portishead would be awful in my opinion. Major Lazer are the perfect act to warm up the crowd for a party (a bit like Chic last year), Portishead are great & I'd love them to be there but they're hardly the type of act that make you want to party/dance.

If it is Portishead, it would make much more sense for Major Lazer to go on after them.

How have Depeche Mode made joint third when they're not doing any shows this Summer?

Have they actually said they're not doing any shows this summer? If so, I missed that, and based their ranking on the fact that they're active at the moment and that Rob has said he'd love to have them headline.

RdB has already said it isn't Prince so he's the equally least likely of all acts. Probably equal with Scooter actually.

Prince is HIGHLY unlikely, but he is at least playing a lot at the moment, unlike Pulp and Mozza, and although Rob's ruled him out, Prince is so unpredictable that who ever really knows for sure what his plans are?

Scooter are probably very, very unlikely, but they are doing a bunch of festivals in Germany this summer. I would personally love to see them at Bestival, so there is admittedly a bit of wishful thinking in ranking them relatively high.

Edited by smogo