Sziget 2014

Uncle Liam

Does anyone know how/where to get the CityPass? Is it website only? If so do the buses accept è-tickets?

You exchange the e-ticket for a CityPass wrist band at the airport. Follow the signs to the bus stops and you will see the exchange stand.

Hey guys!! COMING TO BUDAP. and think will come for two days, say mon & tues. Will be travelling eas. europe alone, so any other trance-house, raver heads wan catch up - do give me a shout! you can find me on couchsurfing.org with username: sakiiii (thats' four i's)...

My eng number on touch down is: 00447538066616.. so yeah be good to have some company!!?? Sid... ;)

Great time.

Manics, Placebo, Crystal Fighters, Stromae, Darkside all superb.

However, I'm done with Sziget. Going out on a high, it's a festival moving away from what I'm looking for really. I want more alternative rock and Sziget is giving me less and less every year. I'll probably be back for the Wednesday next year, but barring a line up consisting of Interpol, Foals, The National, British Sea Power, Idlewild, Doves, I Am Kloot, Arcade Fire, Editors, Slowdive, I Like Trains, M83, etc etc (which is not going to happen) I'm done.

It's been a blast.

I'll still hang around the thread to help out where I can.

Great time.

However, I'm done with Sziget. Going out on a high, it's a festival moving away from what I'm looking for really. I want more alternative rock and Sziget is giving me less and less every year. I'll probably be back for the Wednesday next year, but barring a line up consisting of Interpol, Foals, The National, British Sea Power, Idlewild, Doves, I Am Kloot, Arcade Fire, Editors, Slowdive, I Like Trains, M83, etc etc (which is not going to happen) I'm done.

It's been a blast.

We only managed to stay for 2x Crystal Fighters tracks. It was like sardines where we were stood!

Great time.

It's been a blast.

I'd agree with those sentiments. I had a great time and loved all of it, but this will most likely be my one and only Sziget. There were big parts where there wasn't any bands on that I wanted to see (especially on the Thursday, where there wasn't a single band of interest, for me!). It's not really a moan at the Sziget organisers, as they do a great job and I get that it's difficult to please everybody, but looking at this year's line up and that of previous years, the emphasis seems to be shifting towards more electronic artists, which doesn't really interest me.

Like I said, I think I'll do the Wednesday next year because there won't be much on elsewhere, and in the four years I've been Wednesday has mostly had what i'm looking for

2011; Interpol, Pulp, Hurts

2012: Glasvegas, Hurts, Placebo

2013: Joy Formidable, Flogging Molly, Nick Cave, Bat for Lashes

2014: Placebo, Skrillex (would've had London Grammar as well- although I'm not a huge fan)

Be interesting to see how expensive it would be to get out of Budapest on the Thursday morning. Likely to Pukkelpop or Lowlands.

i like the fact that the fest seems to going more electro. I dont really do festivals for music...at Glasto i saw maybe 3 acts over the whole weekend. i like milling about....meeting people,,,,seeing weird shit.

Like the sound of the B.my Lake fest too.

Did you guys get there on the monday or did you get moving in tickets for the Sat / Sun? And did you fly straight to Budapest? thinking if i do it next year, i may fly to Amsterdam first...then train it down to Budapest.

Edited by doobie ninja

We didn't get moving in tickets, so got there on the Monday afternoon and it already looked really busy by then, so I guess quite a lot of people got the moving in tickets. I flew direct from Amsterdam to Budapest (I live in the Netherlands). I was speaking to a Dutch friend, before I went, and he was saying that there is a Sziget train that runs from the Netherlands to the festival, especially for festival goers, which may interest you. He said it runs from Utrecht, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to get it from Amsterdam, but Utrecht is only a half hour train ride from Amsterdam.

To me, Sziget is the perfect festival and the Island is like an huge artwork under the sky. Obviously, if you're looking for alternative music and willing to spend the entire day under a stage waiting for your bands, maybe it's not the festival for you. But if you're looking for great parties, great mood, amazing atmosphere, people from all around the world and a quite good mix of almost all genres of music, Sziget is the festival for you! I'd also like to have back the lineup of years like 2009, 2010 or 2011, but next year will be my 7th Sziget in a row and I'm not even looking anymore at the lineup. I just hope I'll get bands I like but if there won't be no problem, I'll live the island! :)

DaveyGravy - so i take it camped in normal camping? i like the sound of siesta camping (its an extra 60 Euros). There are tonnes of options looking at the website, caravans, VIP, wooden hut and so on. I had heard of the train from Utrecht....think its 15hrs?

thetime - i think you can only buy them on the gate? i may be wrong.

I wana hear from people who after Sziget trasnfered to the B.My lake festival as it sounds / looks birlliant!!

Edited by doobie ninja

DaveyGravy - so i take it camped in normal camping? i like the sound of siesta camping (its an extra 60 Euros). There are tonnes of options looking at the website, caravans, VIP, wooden hut and so on. I had heard of the train from Utrecht....think its 15hrs?

I stayed in one of the caravans on the VIP camping. It was a bit pricey, all in, but sleeping in a proper(ish) bed was definitely a bonus, with being there for seven nights! That said, the caravans were far from luxurious! They were just old knackered caravans that I guess nobody wanted any more. Ours had a window held together with gaffer tape and several of the door handles on the cupboards fell off through the week. Ours was pretty level, but some of the others were at interesting angles, which might have made sleeping a bit interesting! Also, our '3 person' caravan meant two people sharing a double bed! On the plus side, it did have electric, which was handy for charging phones, and we had a working fridge! The swimming pool on the VIP campsite was also great as well, with temperatures getting up to the high 20's, low 30's most of the days, jumping in the pool was the perfect hangover cure!

I don't know anything about the B.my.lake festival, I'm afraid, but they were running a bus service from Sziget to B.my.lake, after Sziget finished, so I guess there must be quite a few people doing both. I don't think my body could take two solid weeks of festivals!

Edited by DaveyGravy