Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

I mean I can understand the principle of people questioning whether some bands are up to headlining Glasto, many of us did the same with the Mumfords last year (justifiably so IMO). But Arcade Fire have really earned this slot, fourth album in, selling out huge venues around the globe, with a reputation that's largely based around their live show. Plus as has been touched on already, their general ethos is quite Glastonbury (look up what they've done for Partners in Health in Haiti for example).

Gutted the year I am missing Glasto to go to the World Cup the year they headline, as you can tell from the screen name I'm a bit of a fan. But going to Primavera which should be good at least!

I remembered seeing them at the Sheffield Leadmill in 2005, from that point on I knew they'd headline Glasto one day. If anything I am surprised its taken this long, but then nothing they have released since Funeral is a stone cold classic IMO.

Just a really good, sound booking. Even if you're not a fan, you can't really have any complaints. I'm probably biased as I am a fan. There are a few acts that could potentially trump them on other stages (it's surely Mrs. Newsom's year), but I'll probably be there with bells on.

I think it's a great booking. I saw a part of their set at Reading in '07 and Rebellion (Lies) as the sun set was a highlight of the weekend.

I must admit to not knowing much of their stuff, I guess I now have a good reason to get acquainted with their albums. Where to start though?

I don't know about the Facebook backlash but my 95% of my Twitter feed were delighted with the announcement.

I think it's a great booking. I saw a part of their set at Reading in '07 and Rebellion (Lies) as the sun set was a highlight of the weekend.

I must admit to not knowing much of their stuff, I guess I now have a good reason to get acquainted with their albums. Where to start though?

I don't know about the Facebook backlash but my 95% of my Twitter feed were delighted with the announcement.

Start with their debut 'Funeral', that's still their best album IMHO.

Edited by Yesiamaduck
  • Upvote 1

They are a phenomenal live act and I've been really lucky to have seen them twice at the barrowlands

If anyone isn't sure the reading set Is an amazing set and a good indication of what to expect

Reflektor is an incredible album live,

Yeah, was a warm-up tour under a pseudonym. They sold out Hyde Park in 2011.

They did it to getting used to playing the new songs live, figuring out which way they should be played, how to pace the set etc.

And yeah, some of the new stuff is a blast live! Here Comes The Night Time should be a "moment".

The tour was an intimate one to promote (well it didn't really need any more promotion...) the album though

I'm undecided on the album too, although it does strike me as one that would be better live

Fair enough - not being a fan I didnt know that. Have listened to the new album & suburbs but just does nothing for me. I'd prob lsten to them in a mid afternoon slot lying in the sun with a cider. But headling - I'll be elsewhere.

Sold out Hyde Park with Mumford and son help ;)

PJ sold out HP also but arent considered big enough to headling Glastonbury by AF fans...

But hey each to their own I'm sure I can find something else to see elsewhere.

Edited by cornish hick

Yeah, was a warm-up tour under a pseudonym. They sold out Hyde Park in 2011.

They did it to getting used to playing the new songs live, figuring out which way they should be played, how to pace the set etc.

And yeah, some of the new stuff is a blast live! Here Comes The Night Time should be a "moment".

Reflektor and Joan of arc are as good as any of their back catalogue live, huge songs!

Reflektor and Joan of arc are as good as any of their back catalogue live, huge songs!

Was interested to hear they had a load of punk-influenced songs, but the beginning of Joan Of Arc is the only remnant left of them! Wonder if they'll ever re-appear...

I'm astounded that there could be any backlash about anything whatsoever at a festival with more stages than I can count hosting muscians playing for the best part of all day, for three days straight. I'm not familiar with AF so I'll listen to their stuff before the festival but if I choose not to go to that gig, it just means there are a hundred other gigs I have to choose from.

The very notion of a 'headliner' at a festival this large is a bit tenuous, I reckon. It's more about satisfying the ego of the band and the wallets of their management than it is about anything else. I for one am delighted that there will be a band I've never seen before who I can enjoy for the first time in such an amazing place.

(First post, that. Hello everyone!)

Good start. Bang on :)