Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

46 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Talking Heads: 3

Arcade Fire: 2

However...and again, in my opinion, assuming the general public will only listen to the Radio 1 of their time...but Arcade Fire are just better. Their two mega hits are as good as Psycho Killer and Road to Nowhere and Once in a Lifetime, despite being big, is shit. It's their Everything Now. Arcade Fire's first three albums decide the war. They win. 

Talking Heads are more like 6 - the ones you've mentioned but also Naive Melody (I DJd a wedding last night and it was specifically requested), And She Was, and Wild Wild Life. I'd bet most folk would know Burning Down The House as well. I feel like Arcade Fire have plausibly 2 or 3 on this sort of scale but I'm not sure what they objectively are. Power Out and Rebellion? (Everything Now is a dud and I don't think anyone enjoys it without thinking of Abba or wondering if the pan pipes are somehow taking the piss.) 

Funeral is a mighty artistic statement yeah but I don't think it blows fear of music and/or remain in light out of the water. 

Edited by Johndenis
Clarification

8 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Talking Heads are more like 6 - the ones you've mentioned but also Naive Melody (I DJd a wedding last night and it was specifically requested), And She Was, and Wild Wild Life. I'd bet most folk would know Burning Down The House as well. I feel like Arcade Fire have plausibly 2 or 3 on this sort of scale but I'm not sure what they objectively are. Power Out and Rebellion? (Everything Now is a dud and I don't think anyone enjoys it without thinking of Abba or wondering if the pan pipes are somehow taking the piss.) 

Funeral is a mighty artistic statement yeah but I don't think it blows fear of music and/or remain in light out of the water. 

I disagree. I listen to a wide range of stuff, I'm 43 and I've never heard of those songs. Not dissing Talking Heads, clearly a good band, but not massively in the public consciousness and AF of course are current, which is always an advantage. I was thinking Rebellion and Wake Up as my two... Of course, I could go down the rabbit hole and pull out way more, but I think that most people who listen to mainstream radio have heard these.

5 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I disagree. I listen to a wide range of stuff, I'm 43 and I've never heard of those songs. Not dissing Talking Heads, clearly a good band, but not massively in the public consciousness and AF of course are current, which is always an advantage. I was thinking Rebellion and Wake Up as my two... Of course, I could go down the rabbit hole and pull out way more, but I think that most people who listen to mainstream radio have heard these.

Give the ones I've mentioned a listen, there is not a chance a 43 year old music fan has never heard them. Naive Melody especially, its a massive song. You might not recognise the song titles. Talking Heads are a bit like New Order that way ("Temptation" should probably have been "up down turn around" 😂

16 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Give the ones I've mentioned a listen, there is not a chance a 43 year old music fan has never heard them. Naive Melody especially, its a massive song. You might not recognise the song titles. Talking Heads are a bit like New Order that way ("Temptation" should probably have been "up down turn around" 😂

I'm definitely down for this. They're one of the bands that I've just never delved into. Will report back. 

1 hour ago, Johndenis said:

I'm just shy of 40 and I do an online radio show and I've never heard of Naïve Melody like.

44 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You would’ve 1 million percent heard it when you listen to it. 

I've honestly never heard that before but I do really like it, it's also getting a lot of love on YouTube comments section. I'm wondering how I've not came across it before mind. 

3 minutes ago, Bucketsquad said:

I've honestly never heard that before but I do really like it, it's also getting a lot of love on YouTube comments section. I'm wondering how I've not came across it before mind. 

It features in the film Wall Street with Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen and it’s also the music to the end credits to the film.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It features in the film Wall Street with Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen and it’s also the music to the end credits to the film.

I've not heard a great deal of Talking Heads but the lad I do the show with likes them a lot and every time he plays some or I come across some like on here I always think i'm going to check them out more. I'm putting in on my to do list for this week 😁

1 minute ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Strongly recommend watching Stop Making Sense...briliant live film that's in the Library of Congress for it's cultural significance.

Cheers mate I'll check that out. I've been making notes of links of stuff to watch and listen too from this board and it's getting quite substantial already 😂

49 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Strongly recommend watching Stop Making Sense...briliant live film that's in the Library of Congress for it's cultural significance.

Best music film ever made, in my humble opinion!

watched so many times over the years I can almost quote every line

12 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

It's on now - you can rewind about 30-40 mins to find the start (23:50)

Spent the last few hours watching and rewatching bits of this amazing set, thanks to whoever first shared it.

It’s just disappearing now, I have just gone to the beginning of the stream, which is -12hrs and it’s part way through their set.

Makes me 1. Hope they get added, 2. Determined to hunt them down in Europe this summer if they are around at all. Too long since 2014!!!!

29 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Spent the last few hours watching and rewatching bits of this amazing set, thanks to whoever first shared it.

It’s just disappearing now, I have just gone to the beginning of the stream, which is -12hrs and it’s part way through their set.

Makes me 1. Hope they get added, 2. Determined to hunt them down in Europe this summer if they are around at all. Too long since 2014!!!!

They're meant to come in May for some intimate dates but then come back properly next year

• Upvote 1