Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

1 hour ago, Johnkhutch said:

Going into this expecting it to be the whole album played live, I was very surprised and even a tiny bit disappointed with the lack of tracks from the new record, especially seeing as they didn't play the best 3 non singles on the album. 

The first tour dates now the album's out will be very interesting. With Tunnels not getting played in Belfast in June, it shows that nothing's 100% safe, sans Wake Up.

Pretty sure Reflektor and Afterlife are mainstays going forwards. I'm totally happy with that though, they still bang. 

I really enjoyed that with the exception of Peter Pan. Still need to give some time to digest but I'm struggling to pick through all the negative opinions. The singles they released all slot in very well.

The one perplexing element was the loop part. It didn't seem to be very seamless and the album seems to crash off at the end before the prelude version picks up from scratch. 

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Funeral - 13 years old

Neon Bible - 10 years old

The Suburbs - 7 years old

Reflektor - 4 years old

Everything Now - come on guys its not even out yet wtf are you rating it against all these albums for?

And with that, music reviewers around the world wept.

59 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/arcade-fire-everything-now/

Because we all know it's one of the two reviews we've been waiting for regarding this album (I'm sure Fantano's is on the way). 

I completely agree with this review to be honest, having a great song open your album and a couple of great songs close your albums does not excuse the utter shit that is the rest of the album.

Hoping they only play the singles from the albums and We Don't Deserve Love on the tour next year and then the rest classics.

Actually really liking it so far, on my 3rd run through the record now.

• Everything now
    • Signs of life
    • Electric blue
    • Put your money on me
    • Creature comfort 
    • Good God Damn
    • Chemistry
    • We don't deserve love

^ all sound decent to my ears.

there's only 10 songs really, not 13. So 8/10 ain't bad!

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

And with that, music reviewers around the world wept.

Sure man but journalists have had a legit copy of the album for like a month or more, and people have already noted an improvement on the leak this morning. Assigning it a final rating graded on a curve with historic releases before there's even a proper copy out  just seems a bit ridiculous to this guy.

Edited by dentalplan

kneejerk review is that i personally think it stinks. and really wanted it to be...not bad. they haven't made an album i considered bad before. it's boring and really insincere, just like the marketing for it. 

you can switch up your style, you can look for other things to do with your sound but for christ sake make me believe you actually care. 

just one miserable prick's opinion but it's not for me. 

that said, i really like put your money on me :)

First listen....,

really like it, the singles are all really strong, 

really liking infinite content and we don't deserve love

chemistry is great fun.

weakest on the first listen is Peter Pan.

solid 7.5 out of 10

Have listened to it two times now. Can't stand all the Abba and disco-vibes, and Infinite Content and Infinite_Content is awful beyond belief in my opinion. I didn't expect much after they released Everything Now, but will probably listen a bit to Creature Comfort.

Kudos to them for trying new things and not just repeating past glories, though.

In the interest of balance and positive vibes... All I can say is the sun is shining in Liverpool and that record just made my commute to work feel like I was going somewhere far more exciting and fun. There is not a lot more you can ask of an album, so! On first listen, I'm a big fan. 

Also worth noting that having heard some radio plays of the singles, I thought they sounded infinitely (content) better through headphones where I was able to hear all the lovely undertones in full force. 

I think Peter Pan, Chemistry, Infinite Content (and Infinite_content) are the worst tracks they've ever made and it kills the album, particularly as that's the run of tracks.

That being said EN, Creature Comfort, Signs of Life, PYMOM and WDDL are all good.

6/10

Still got tickets :)

• Upvote 2

First full listen done. I like it. Some skippable tracks on there but I love Put Your Money On Me, We Don't Deserve Love, Creature Comfort and Everything Now. 

Signs of Life is growing on me, as is Electric Blue. Chemistry reminds me of I Love Rock n Roll during the chorus (probably just me) but to be honest, I don't mind it.

Gunna give it another listen now.

First impressions are that it's very much a rollercoaster of an album.

The opening run of Everything Now, Signs of Life (not quite as much) and Creature Comforts is superb, the dip starts at Peter Pan then falls into a crater with Chemistry and the Infinite Contents. picks up again at Electric Blue, then the final run of Good God Damn, Put You Money On me and We Don't Deserve Love is superb again.

Not much mention of Good God Damn on here, I think it's a potential slow burning favourite.

Okay, here we go. Only listened to Everything Now from the new LP, so, from a massive AF fanboy with no priors, a clean slate... here are my first impressions. LIVE!

Intro is fine, does what it needs to. Everything Now still bangs, I'm well into the panpipes. Strong opener, imo. Hope it doesn't do a Reflektor on me and plummet. Okay, Signs of Life. It's okay, distinctively post-Suburbs AF though. Would slot into the first half of Reflektor, like. Win going full Craig David reciting the days of the week, lol, okay. There's a lot going on but not much texture, if you get me. Creature Comfort now... oh, wait, I have heard this. Regine's vocals are so wispy and cutting, wicked. Nailed that. Not wholly sold on the current direction of Win's though - sometimes it works well but sometimes it doesn't at all. I love the way he spits out 'Creature Comfort' sometimes - but the whole "attitude" thing is gonna drag on, int it. Good tune though. 

Peter Pan... okay. Interesting start. Didn't really go anywhere. Instantly forgettable. Chemistry, now. Win's vocal range has been about half an octave this whole record, hasn't it? The directness of the lyrics doesn't work so well when the music behind it is boring - so Chemistry hasn't really grabbed me. Infinite Content. This isn't very Arcade Fire in sound. I mean, good on them for not sticking to their old formulae, but it's the delicate nature of some of those early tunes, those lush soundscapes, the finding something new every time. That's not going to happen here - not in the wordplay, not in the music. I mean, I know that that's the point. The 2nd version is a bit better, bringing it down for the last bunch of tunes, I assume...?

Electric Blue. Hurrah, a Regine tune. Hard to pull lyrics out of this one, so it'll be one to return to immediately. But in terms of Regine-lead tracks, it's waaaay down there. Her vocal doesn't sparkle, she's not at the forefront, and the sound behind it takes 80% of the song to develop any depth. It's the first tune I've listened to so far that I reckon will reward repeated listens, though. Good God Damn. The title doesn't fill me with hope. Look, Win moving outside of the limited vocal range he's used for most of this record, excellent! But this "cool" vibe just does not connect with me, at all. I imagine there's a bit more to this lyrically, but I'm never one for picking words up until a fair few listens. Another in the "to come back to" pile, when I'm not at work. (Lol, like I'm working anyway.)

Put Your Money On Me: yes, this is more like it. Those intricacies I love; hearing Win inhale his breath sharply, noticing that little change of drum beat, letting the vocals do their thing in front of complex but subtle soundscapes. I actually don't feel the chorus that much but the development of the main body of the song is grand. Take that back - Regine coming in - totally ABBA esque - just raised it a few notches. Wish they carried that momentum a bit more but this is sick. These ABBA comparisons are so easy to make but they're very true. We Don't Deserve Love bursts into life. Gorgeous. THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. Absolutely dead on. Everything Now (continued) - okay, I see where they've gone with this. Yeah, it's a nice end to the album, actually. This is done well. 

On the whole, pretty good. The starting few tracks are strong, but the clear drop off in quality from Peter Pan, through Infinite_Content, is really, really naff. Electric Blue and Good God Damn still need reassessing for me, but from then, the remainder of the album is stellar. I can see a lot of these tunes being growers, and a lot being skippers - which doesn't happen very much for me, really. This is kind of how I feel about Reflektor, too.

It's going to hinge on the setlists whether or not I give the tour a go this time. I can see myself just finding a festival in Europe somewhere they're headlining next year, and sticking with that, tbh. Especially as I'm a skint young lad. Will give it another go in a couple of days and see how it goes.

• Upvote 2

I agree that Peter Pan and Chemistry are probably two of the weakest tracks AF have produced, but they're not worst songs ever by any stretch of the imagination. I just think we've just been spoilt in the past and these just feel like filler tracks in comparison to the rest of the album. 

April 2018 feels like a lifetime away, hate having to wait that long to see them again!