Jump to content
Zoo Music Girl

Arcade Fire

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Wish they did slightly longer set lists. 5 albums in and they ought to be doing at least 22 surely? 

I guess that because they'll be adding several new songs when the album tour starts maybe they only have a certain amount of old stuff rehearsed, but yeah I did think that the Sc**thorpe show was a bit too short with no opening act and such expensive tickets. Would rather they just played a bit longer with the same setlist every night. The Reflektor tour tended to go for a few minutes under two hours which I think is enough. 

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Enjoyable but, as I thought in Sc**thorpe, it's not quite on par with the other two for me. However they were both holes-in-one so it's understandable. 

This is my take so far, although I'm pleasantly surprised; wasn't fond of the live recordings I'd listened back too, but there's a lot of nice detail in the composition and production. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Avalon_Fields said:

Gates 5:30

TBA 6:30

Beak (Geoff Barrow, Portishead) 7:25

Arcade Fire 9:00

Thanks for this - where's it from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope I can get a ticket for Manc, the glasto blues have been hitting me so hard all week so this would cheer me up no end,

Feel like I'm too slow for twickets though, I click the notifications almost instantly and they're always held by the time I get through! :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That really is an absolutely phenomenal opening three for an album. Really hope the quality stays this high throughout. Either way, all three are immediately must haves for a live set which is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum is a lot more positive about them than most of the internet from what I can gather. Quite a backlash coming with this album I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Gates 5:30

TBA 6:30

Beak (Geoff Barrow, Portishead) 7:25

Arcade Fire 9:00

Cheers, hoping TBA is Win doing a DJ set! 

So 11pm curfew, 2 hour set aint bad..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bocumaroy said:

This forum is a lot more positive about them than most of the internet from what I can gather. Quite a backlash coming with this album I think. 

I think they got a bit of a reflektor backlash from people who wanted them to make funeral/suburbs again.

I think generally the response has been pretty decent to the singles but we will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jplewes said:

I think they got a bit of a reflektor backlash from people who wanted them to make funeral/suburbs again.

I think generally the response has been pretty decent to the singles but we will see.

Yeah definitely a bit of a backlash with Reflektor. A lot of it stemmed from non-musical things I think, and then people also weren't so fond of the album, but it's still pretty well thought of for its high-points, whereas from what I've read a lot of people think these new singles are 'the worst stuff they've ever done' etc. A lot of people in this thread seem to be pretty big fans so it might not be very representative of the general opinion, but I don't know, maybe it's different in other places. 

13 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

The Manchester Evening News

Nice one, should be fairly reliable then you'd think. Hadn't heard about a third act on the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Cheers, hoping TBA is Win doing a DJ set! 

So 11pm curfew, 2 hour set aint bad..

I think they might only playing until 10:45ish, as that's been the length of their longest festival sets on this tour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bocumaroy said:

Yeah definitely a bit of a backlash with Reflektor. A lot of it stemmed from non-musical things I think, and then people also weren't so fond of the album, but it's still pretty well thought of for its high-points, whereas from what I've read a lot of people think these new singles are 'the worst stuff they've ever done' etc. A lot of people in this thread seem to be pretty big fans so it might not be very representative of the general opinion, but I don't know, maybe it's different in other places. 

Nice one, should be fairly reliable then you'd think. Hadn't heard about a third act on the bill.

I think if they had led with Signs of Life or Creature Comfort no one would have minded so much. EN just sounds like such a disco banger that it's put a few people off (IMO).

For the record I like Everything Now, I think it's great fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna be keeping my eye on twitter for any afterparty shenanigans on Thursday.

Anybody up for an informal eFestivals meetup beforehand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shitting heck, I'm lucky to be seeing my favourite band. These are comfortably the most difficult Glastonbury blues ever.

Setting my odds for which songs are gonna make me cry if played:

In The Backseat: 1/5

Suburban War: 1/2

Afterlife: Evens (The lyrics can be interpreted as the end of a festival)

The Suburbs: 3/2

Everything Now: 2/1

Tunnels, Haiti, No Cars Go: 5/2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jplewes said:

I think they got a bit of a reflektor backlash from people who wanted them to make funeral/suburbs again.

I think generally the response has been pretty decent to the singles but we will see.

Yeah definitely. Once it came out and the hype wore off, there was a lot of delayed dissent about Reflektor (tho I know plenty didn't wait to stick the knife in) and everyone seems to love tearing down former icons in music so I think people are going straight into the new Arcade Fire era with pessimism. I already think Everything Now won't do as well critically but I'm not arsed as I'm truly loving it so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Gates 5:30

TBA 6:30

Beak (Geoff Barrow, Portishead) 7:25

Arcade Fire 9:00

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Simpo said:

Anybody up for an informal eFestivals meetup beforehand?

Me! 

Travelling alone to this one from Nottingham, ETA in Manchester around 2pm. Check in to Travelodge, should be about around 3pm. 
Then meeting the OH the next day then off to Blue Dot :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like it's going to be an improvement on Reflektor based on the singles so far but I wish they went a bit further away in direction from Reflektor rather than more immersed into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New single is a very decent Talking Heads pastiche, but overall I think this album doesn't really have the uniqueness that the others do. The other 4 records could only be Arcade Fire, this one just sounds like its influences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

New single is a very decent Talking Heads pastiche, but overall I think this album doesn't really have the uniqueness that the others do. The other 4 records could only be Arcade Fire, this one just sounds like its influences.

I agree, though I wouldn't call it very decent, I'm not liking the track at all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...