Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, Jugtanion said:

Maybe it was because it was the first time I'd seen AF, but I couldn't fault that 2014 set. Reflektor's keyboard breakdown was incredible, the Suburbs was beautiful. I remember it, but I was absolutely spannered mind!

Was my first time too, mate. There's absolutely nothing I could fault about the set, but it just doesn't seem to have left that much of an impression on me. Same with Massive Attack on the Sunday which I can't really remember anything of. Loved both at the time but just can't recall either now, very well.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Was my first time too, mate. There's absolutely nothing I could fault about the set, but it just doesn't seem to have left that much of an impression on me. Same with Massive Attack on the Sunday which I can't really remember anything of. Loved both at the time but just can't recall either now, very well.

Is that since that drone fell on you at that Muse gig?

Arcade Fire at Leeds Festival 2005 has to be one of my favourite ever festival/gig moments.

The whole set was incredible, opening with Wake Up and featuring No Cars Go (which pre-dates Funeral, let alone The Suburbs) but coming to the end they'd over ran their time and had already been told to get off the stage with still Power Out and Rebellion unplaced.

I'm there with one of my best friends and we're just wondering which one they're going to finish with before they're thrown off the stage. Power Out kicks in and we turn to each other, slightly disappointed, but thinking "fair enough". The set ends, it looks like they're leaving. Then...nah, fuck it, Rebellion kicks in! What a moment. What a moment.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arcade-fire/2005/little-johns-farm-reading-england-63d48e4f.html

Here's an excerpt from our very own eFestivals review:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/leeds/2005/review-arcadefire.shtml

Told to get off stage so Babyshambles can set up - The Arcade Fire were having none of it. When the music is this great and the atmosphere so uplifting the last thing you need is Pete Doherty ruining it all. Just when you think The Arcade Fire are about to leave 'Rebellion (Lies)' kicks in with a sudden energetic burst and without sounding too clichéd, the crowd went wild! Stomping drums, poetic violins, perfect vocals to accompany great lyrics - The Arcade Fire really do have it all. 

The crowd hopped up and down along time to 'Rebellion (Lies)' bass line and the stage was doused in a warm red light when Win Butler began orchestrating the rest of his band with his fantastic voice. A few drum sticks flew into the audience, then the drum kit itself, and then finally the drummer. The band was so animated it was like watching an epileptic perform Punch and Judy under Strobe lighting. Lapping up the atmosphere I realised this was the reason I go to festivals.
review by: Scott Johnson
Edited by fightoffyour

5 hours ago, bocumaroy said:

Sprawl II and Haiti should be the most untouchable imo. Need maximum possible Regine. 

Haiti is a lot better for Regine vocals live, although she definitely nailed Sprawl II at their Reading and O2 gigs on the Reflektor tour. 

10 hours ago, reflekting said:

It's a great song on record but Regine really didn't do herself any favours back in 2014. 

Nor did whoever decided to bury the synths in the mix.  Was exactly the same in the MEN on the Suburbs tour. There is no way the acoustic guitar should be louder on that track.  The synths should be louder than the drums.  So disappointing.

3 hours ago, reflekting said:

Haiti is a lot better for Regine vocals live, although she definitely nailed Sprawl II at their Reading and O2 gigs on the Reflektor tour. 

To be honest I've never really noticed any issue with Sprawl II although it does get mentioned a fair bit. Win is consistently far worse for it, I think. 

In The Backseat is Regine's best lead vocal though.

3 hours ago, reflekting said:

Oh man I've just found this. What a horror show. No Dave, just no!

I like how he begins with an anecdote about butchering it earlier, before proceeding to butcher it. 

Edited by bocumaroy

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Arcade Fire at Leeds Festival 2005 has to be one of my favourite ever festival/gig moments.

Mine too!  Remember them having to set up their own gear.  It was a great afternoon with Arctic Monkeys earlier in the Carling Tent. 

Seen them a couple of times since and at Glasto 2014 but nothing compares.  Hopefully Scunny will change that. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

I've heard win call themselves the arcade fire

Yeah, maybe it's just because it stands out but it feels like he says that every time he refers to the band. I normally don't like band names with the 'the' prefix but I actually prefer it in this case. 

Edited by bocumaroy

I think Everything Now is up there lyrically with the best they've ever done.  These two line in particular really get me in the gut

And every room in my house is filled with shit I couldn't live without

and

Daddy, how come you're never around?
I miss you, 

and I work from home so I see my daughter more, but I still get something in my eye at that last line!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 hours ago, Battlescar said:

Mine too!  Remember them having to set up their own gear.  It was a great afternoon with Arctic Monkeys earlier in the Carling Tent. 

Seen them a couple of times since and at Glasto 2014 but nothing compares.  Hopefully Scunny will change that. 

You've a better memory than me but yes I was also at the Arctic Monkeys set. Just before they really peaked but it was still rammed.

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Just got an unexpected ticket for Edinburgh on Thursday :o:D

Likewise for Sc**thorpe. Sound as a pound!

Edit: Should have figured that would happen...

Redo: Likewise for That Place We Do Not Speak the Name of Near Doncaster. Sound as a pound!

Edited by DownboundTrain52
---