Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

17 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

And yeah, I wasn't sure whether the smoke machines had exploded! Not sure what it was like in the seats, but the standing area was a complete white out for a good 10 mins.

I was in the upper tier and I didn't even notice this smoke haha.

12 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Surprised at how many people remained seated throughout. We were dancing all the way through the gig, which was fantastic. 

I actually only stood up for Wake Up at the end when everyone else around me did. I usually can't face not being stood up and haven't bought a seated ticket for about 5 years, but with a combination of being knackered, sober and on my own I was happy just sat down taking it all in. Made for a nice change although I wouldn't want to do it too often.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If that’s the last arena show they do in this town then they’ve sent it off spectacularly.

Hmmm, you think they'll be dropping down to smaller venues next time? I know there were a lot of empty seats but there were still plenty of people there. Hmmm, interesting thought. Maybe Manchester Central will be an option although I never seem to see gigs announced there. The Apollo seems too big a drop even if they did two nights.

4 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Hmmm, you think they'll be dropping down to smaller venues next time? I know there were a lot of empty seats but there were still plenty of people there. Hmmm, interesting thought. Maybe Manchester Central will be an option although I never seem to see gigs announced there. The Apollo seems too big a drop even if they did two nights.

Yeah I agree. I know they're not as big now but the academy sized gigs they did as The Reflektors and the ones last summer all sold out straight away from what I remember. They might be struggling a bit with arenas but I think they're still a level above the big academy sized bands like The National, The War on Drugs, LCD etc

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I agree. I know they're not as big now but the academy sized gigs they did as The Reflektors and the ones last summer all sold out straight away from what I remember. They might be struggling a bit with arenas but I think they're still a level above the big academy sized bands like The National, The War on Drugs, LCD etc

Yeah agreed, they definitely are. It may just be a case of playing the arena but  charging a bit less to get it full.

Castlefield Bowl is what, 8k? And that went immediately. But I guess that was on its own and not part of a full blown tour so people from all over the country probably came for it.

5 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Manchester Central is an awful venue.

I saw The Prodigy there and didn't have a problem with it, but that's the only time I've been there so can't give too much of an opinion on it.

All crossed for 'Headlights'. Got it spinning now. Love it at the end when Regine loses her shit. Also a fan of the apocalyptic/classic Arcade Fire lyrics.

Read somewhere that they were trying to sound like New Order. Don't think they really managed it - but it works anyway!

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Not necessarily. I just overheard it as a topic of conversation on the way in. I think they could continue doing arenas and just cutting Brum and maybe Glasgow off but they might choose to bring a different sort of stage show to a different sort of venue anyway like they did with Reflektor.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not necessarily. I just overheard it as a topic of conversation on the way in. I think they could continue doing arenas and just cutting Brum and maybe Glasgow off but they might choose to bring a different sort of stage show to a different sort of venue anyway like they did with Reflektor.

Ah yeah, a smaller arena tour didn't even cross my mind for some reason. That's defo the way to go (as long as it isn't Manchester that takes the hit :lol:).

15 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah agreed, they definitely are. It may just be a case of playing the arena but  charging a bit less to get it full.

Castlefield Bowl is what, 8k? And that went immediately. But I guess that was on its own and not part of a full blown tour so people from all over the country probably came for it.

I saw The Prodigy there and didn't have a problem with it, but that's the only time I've been there so can't give too much of an opinion on it.

I'm not sure about other bands their size, but they seem to come to Manchester awfully often. I think they do that arena on every album, that's not normal is it?  I mean, it's a big world, surely there are plenty of cities missing out because they seem to like coming to the home of Joy Division + The Smiths.  Not that I'm complaining as such, but I've seen them there twice and also went to Castlefield.  They could probably fill the arena in the future, just so long as they don't go to the well as often.

Any Brummies here?  Do they visit you as often?  

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not sure about other bands their size, but they seem to come to Manchester awfully often. I think they do that arena on every album, that's not normal is it?  I mean, it's a big world, surely there are plenty of cities missing out because they seem to like coming to the home of Joy Division + The Smiths.  Not that I'm complaining as such, but I've seen them there twice and also went to Castlefield.  They could probably fill the arena in the future, just so long as they don't go to the well as often.

Any Brummies here?  Do they visit you as often?  

They didn't actually play here on the Reflektor tour at all, so I didn't see them until last year cos I couldn't get to Blackpool on a school night when I lived two hours from there.

Tbf, Manchester is usually second on the list for every band, it's not an Arcade Fire thing. London if they're only doing one city but if they're doing two it tends to be London and Manchester. That's literally the main reason I came to uni here haha.

They sold 12000 tickets last night which is still a good amount of tickets to shift. They shouldn’t have opened the upper tier though. Was surprised they didn’t swap the upper tier tickets for lower ones and curtained it off. When it’s in the round can sell close to 20000 though at Manchester Arena so that’s why it looked a bit quiet. 

As for the band, they were incredible. Really liked the stage set up and the interaction was fantastic. Snap up a ticket if you’re able to for one of the dates 

Think they would've sold a lot more if the tickets were a bit more reasonably priced. For lots of people £70 is an awful lot of money, and I know it put off all my group who are big fans, I got paid the day tickets were released so got one spur of the moment. I think a lot of younger fans were completely priced out.

31 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Think they would've sold a lot more if the tickets were a bit more reasonably priced. For lots of people £70 is an awful lot of money, and I know it put off all my group who are big fans, I got paid the day tickets were released so got one spur of the moment. I think a lot of younger fans were completely priced out.

Agreed. 

Didn't hear it myself but the MEN reported Win saying they wouldnt be back for a long time so I'm assuming they'll be having a break after this tour.

14 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Agreed. 

Didn't hear it myself but the MEN reported Win saying they wouldnt be back for a long time so I'm assuming they'll be having a break after this tour.

He said "you might not see us for a while so look after each other". So that's pretty vague. Even if they go straight into working on the next album followed by a tour after its release, that will still be a while until they're back in Manchester.

Edited by Odessa

6 hours ago, Dan R said:

Who paid 70 quid? I paid less than 60 

Fantastic gig last night, got in to see the end of the support act as well so that was good.

The stage set up for them being in the round was fantastic, loved the light and all the smoke at the end of the main set (thought something had broke).

Think the ticket price certainly effected the attendance. Wish they'd play Liverpool in the future instead.

Not sure where I'd rank the gig against the other times I've seen them but it would be in the top 9.

34 minutes ago, John_P said:

Fantastic gig last night, got in to see the end of the support act as well so that was good.

The stage set up for them being in the round was fantastic, loved the light and all the smoke at the end of the main set (thought something had broke).

Think the ticket price certainly effected the attendance. Wish they'd play Liverpool in the future instead.

Not sure where I'd rank the gig against the other times I've seen them but it would be in the top 9.

Current top five:

1. Castlefield 2017

2. Camden Roundhouse 2013 (Reflektors)

3. Manchester GMex 2010

4. Leeds 2010

5. Glastonbury 2014

Its only second time I have seen AF - first one was at Glastonbury when they headlined. Last night was fabulous. In the twenty odd years I have been going to the Arena there are not many concerts, if any, that were better - fantastic set, amazing stage set up, a band that absolutely gives a shit, and a crowd that was up for it big time. Where I was sat in the first tier, to the side, which turned out to be prime seats, every one was stood up and bopping from minute one.  Absolutely brIlliant. If I could I would defo see them again in next few days. 

• Upvote 1