Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

They weren't big enough to headline in 07 or 08, theyd only had two albums out. Now definitely big enough, although I wouldn't be surprised if they're still winding down their tour around the time of 2015s festival.

the festival has often taken chances with headliners having only had one or 2 albums. They should have done so with arcade fire. This obsession with "mega stars" is shite

Would rate their smaller show at (ithink) hackney empire just before the suburbs came out as one of my favourite gigs ever. Managed to take my best mate as a surprise birthday present with him unaware of who it was until they walked on stage.

I'm not normally one for seated tickets at gigs but sitting (as those were the only tickets we could get) drinking red wine (as that was all they had) and listening to them play note perfect (despite the fact it was a warm-up gig) was pretty special.

Arcade Fire should have headlined Glastonbury in 2010 rather than Reading and Leeds. Their Reading performance at Glastonbury would have been hailed as one of the greatest headline performances ever, rather than being greeted by the non-plused faces of your average R&L punter...

Arcade Fire should have headlined Glastonbury in 2010 rather than Reading and Leeds. Their Reading performance at Glastonbury would have been hailed as one of the greatest headline performances ever, rather than being greeted by the non-plused faces of your average R&L punter...

The average R&L punter were seeing Pendulum instead tho.

• Upvote 1

The average R&L punter were seeing Pendulum instead tho.

I was watching Ash, I'll bet that Arcade Fire were excellent, but I do not regret my decision one tiny little bit, 1977 was the first album I ever bought, and the hemmed-in chaos of the FR tent that night will have been so much better than that enormous main stage field, with the ants on the stage.

I was at Pendulum then and they were amazing! One of the best festival performances! That was a very strong R and L day. Back to Glasto, I don't know enough Arcade Fire to say weather I'd want them to headline. I'm sure they are pretty damn good I just don't know enough material to have an opinion. The Suburbs had great succes so I think I'll start listening!

I think you over-estimate the average Pyramid stage punter.

Had they not signed up for Reading and Leeds in 2010, I think they would have replaced U2.

If they're not booked to headline in the next two years I'd be surprised.

RE: 'They're not big enough.' - Why would that matter? Smaller acts have headlined before and smaller acts will headline in the future!

RE: 'They're not big enough.' - Why would that matter? Smaller acts have headlined before and smaller acts will headline in the future!

Well it matters to some extent... safety of the crowd heading off to smaller venues, future ticket sales etc...

That said Arcade Fire are one of those bands on the edge of being able to do it but are most likely big enough and certainly deserve a chance. Hopefully the album does well so if they are picked, we don't end up with months of "Who the fuck is Arcade Fire?" elsewhere.

Edited by LondonTom

Had they not signed up for Reading and Leeds in 2010, I think they would have replaced U2.

If they're not booked to headline in the next two years I'd be surprised.

Yeah it'd be bloody weird if they're available and willing but not booked for 2014 or 2015.

I'm not even sure the 'big enough' thing is valid anymore. There was certainly some reason to think that at R+L '10 before The Suburbs was released but now there's no real doubt.

Well it matters to some extent... safety of the crowd heading off to smaller venues, future ticket sales etc...

That said Arcade Fire are one of those bands on the edge of being able to do it but are most likely big enough and certainly deserve a chance. Hopefully the album does well so if they are picked, we don't end up with months of "Who the fuck is Arcade Fire?" elsewhere.

Yeah okay, to an extent yes! :P

But most Pyramid acts get big crowds because... they're on the Pyramid. Even if people are indifferent to their music, they'll pop down because it's a Pyramid headline act and they're curious! And I think there's enough interest in Arcade Fire generally, they were playing arenas on the last tour.

If Basement Jaxx, Gorillaz and Mumford and Sons can headline the Pyramid, I'm pretty sure AF will be fine!

madness!

I cant think of any bands that formed this century that are a better fit for a headline slot than arcade fire.

that probably says more about the lack of decent bands the last decade plus has provided than it does regarding the merits of the arcade fire..

i cant help but just lump arcade fire in with flaming lips / polyphonic spree...they have their place, but not headliners on a main stage at glastonbury.

that probably says more about the lack of decent bands the last decade plus has provided than it does regarding the merits of the arcade fire..

i cant help but just lump arcade fire in with flaming lips / polyphonic spree...they have their place, but not headliners on a main stage at glastonbury.

Sorry I'm with Russy on this one I can't think of many bands that are more worthy than Arcade Fire to headline the Pyramid!

I'd have the polyphonic spree and flaming lips on that day as the subs

yeh thats true that is was a crap decade. I was racking my brains for ages trying to think of bands that had formed in the 2000s....it was a pretty shit decade!

I think arcade fire are a lot more accessible than flaming lips and polyphonic spree though. They have a fair few singalong anthem type songs

(certainly the current flaming lips music anyway, I dont think The Terror would go down too well with the masses at the pyramid stage :sarcastic: )

Edited by russycarps

Headlining your own Hyde Park show = big enough to headline

Can't get into Arcade Fire. have tried numerous times over the years, I can see they're talented, they've got something blahblahblah but it just doesn't click for me at all. I've given up on them, never going to try again, just not for me.