Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

5 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Do you not see how you come across so condescending here? 

How come it was fine for people to say this about solar power on here, but not cool when it’s a different artist?

It’s just an observation. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How come it was fine for people to say this about solar power on here, but not cool when it’s a different artist?

It’s condescending either way. Just let people enjoy what they want without lame digs about them being in denial because they don’t agree with you. 

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think this is my least favourite album of theirs. It’s their solar power. As in the die hard fans are trying to convince themselves it’s still good in denial. 

Or maybe, just maybe they actually like it! It’s ok for people to like different things. Entirely fine that you’re not pushed, but as stated previously, I f*ckin’ love it! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

When did Solar Power become the low benchmark for an album? At least half of Solar Power is decent.  Chinese Democracy still exists let's not forget!

Nonetheless WE is at least 70% full of tracks better than most artists in this genre could produce. I do think there is an argument they could bring back Markus Dravs to produce the next one. But it's a good album and still one of the best I've heard this year. 

57 minutes ago, reflekting said:

When did Solar Power become the low benchmark for an album? At least half of Solar Power is decent.  Chinese Democracy still exists let's not forget!

Nonetheless WE is at least 70% full of tracks better than most artists in this genre could produce. I do think there is an argument they could bring back Markus Dravs to produce the next one. But it's a good album and still one of the best I've heard this year. 

Solar Powered doesn’t mean a bad album — but I think it’s created a new urban dictionary term for a divisive album that underperforms, and the diehard fan base thinks one day people will magically wake up and realise it’s genius… when they don’t seem that sure about the album’s quality either. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Solar Powered doesn’t mean a bad album — but I think it’s created a new urban dictionary term for a divisive album that underperforms, and the diehard fan base thinks one day people will magically wake up and realise it’s genius… when they don’t seem that sure about the album’s quality either. 

Tbh Matt, I think I've only ever seen you use it as a term.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Tbh Matt, I think I've only ever seen you use it as a term.

I don’t think it’s a term but it makes sense to me. I think solar power is a pretty unique release tbh

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think it’s a term but it makes sense to me. I think solar power is a pretty unique release tbh

I've just not read all that into Solar Power, she went into a different style a bit is all I see from it...which is fine? Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Also this album has been out less than a day so opinions are still fresh and might change.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

No harm, but it's a pretty poor correlation. Solar Power was a disappointing follow up to a strong album of the decade contender that was met with a collective shrug from both fans and critics (exceptions apply, of course). On the other hand, both critics and fans have generally seen WE as not quite a return to the form of the first three or four albums, but a clear step up from Everything Now. If anything, Solar Power was Lorde's Everything Now if we're going down that road.

Not liking the album is fair enough of course, but to say this is their Solar Power is just a bit ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I've just not read all that into Solar Power, she went into a different style a bit is all I see from it...which is fine? Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Also this album has been out less than a day so opinions are still fresh and might change.

I think it was rather unfortunate for Lorde as Pure Heroine and Melodrama were cult classics. It wasn’t that people expected her to have a gigantic follow up sales wise, but something with similar cultural impact. 

I see Arcade Fire in similar situations. Funeral, Neon Bible, The Suburbs are special albums to a lot of people so expectation is high with Reflektor, Everything Now, WE etc. It’s also probably why Tranquility was divisive for AM fans. 

Edited by Matt42

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it was rather unfortunate for Lorde as Pure Heroine and Melodrama were cult classics. It wasn’t that people expected her to have a gigantic follow up sales wise, but something with similar cultural impact. 

You talk as if Lorde is the first person in the world to release a disappointing album after a hit album but that happens all the time.

You should listen to the stone roses second album, one hot minute by red hot chili peppers, be here now by oasis, zooropa by U2, the great rock n roll swindle by the sex pistols