Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

7 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

See I liked Everything Now but I don't go back and listen to it the same as the first four.

They lost me on this one at End of the Empire. They really needed a great record to have me justify the cost of their upcoming tour tickets.

Totally agree. I’m guessing this tour wont be cheap. I’m still gonna go I’ll just moan about it. 

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m getting very concerned with the trajectory of this band after everything now and this. It’s like they’ve run out of ideas and only know how to do Arcade Fire by the numbers. The creativity of the first few releases isn’t there anymore.

Was The Suburbs a creative album? Soms great songs, but not very creative.

Oh, and I think this oen is good as well. Pretty focused album, but I may be in the minority of loving End Of the Empire. Race and Religion is the standout though. 

7 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

The leaked link had tickets at £57 including fees. Which I think is right

Yeah that does seem about right I paid the same for ghost recently. Tickets prices have definitely shot up this year I think. I was surprised the Glastonbury ticket price didn’t go up more.

CDBA51FD-1495-42B5-80FA-FFE88505C112.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Nearly £30 for a single album? Oof! Think I might have to get the CD instead, given the so-so reviews.

I'm a completionist, I've got every other AF album on vinyl so I need to get this one, regardless of reviews.

There are a few bands where I have every album on wax and will always buy the new release - Radiohead, Blur, The National, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis...

Sounds fairly decent on a first listen. Age of anxiety pt 1 and 2, and unconditional 2 are the highlights for me. Hoping it will grow over time, and I think keeping it to a tight 40 minutes helps it as a whole. 

Some of the lyrical issues remain however. It’s all too direct and on the nose and has a bit of an old man yelling about screen time vibe to it. The “Unsubscribe” bit in end of an empire particularly stinks. 

Just now, zero000 said:

Sounds fairly decent on a first listen. Age of anxiety pt 1 and 2, and unconditional 2 are the highlights for me. Hoping it will grow over time, and I think keeping it to a tight 40 minutes helps it as a whole. 

Some of the lyrical issues remain however. It’s all too direct and on the nose and has a bit of an old man yelling about screen time vibe to it. The “Unsubscribe” bit in end of an empire particularly stinks. 

Idk this “hey kid you’re going to escape ur small town” vibe is getting a little bit old now.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I'm a completionist, I've got every other AF album on vinyl so I need to get this one, regardless of reviews.

There are a few bands where I have every album on wax and will always buy the new release - Radiohead, Blur, The National, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis...

Yeah, I'm the same for certain bands, but I only started buying vinyl about 10 years ago, so I only have the first few AF albums on CD.

Also, new albums from Peaness and Belle & Sebastian out today, so I can't afford to get them all on vinyl!

11 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Yeah the lyrical content isn't it. They're still bashing all this stuff then still promote their place in a new playlist on Spotify or Amazon Music. I know that's unavoidable in the music industry these days but don't go on about it if you're not resisting it

I love it, but have the advantage of having heard half of it live, which is obviously where Arcade Fire are at their very best.

Look forward to the postie bringing me my vinyl copy later on, so I can blast it out loud.

First listen, I liked it! Better than the first listen of EN

Think it will translate well live, They are and always be a live band for me! They have so many classics that their shows are always of a very high standard!

12 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Yeah the lyrical content isn't it. They're still bashing all this stuff then still promote their place in a new playlist on Spotify or Amazon Music. I know that's unavoidable in the music industry these days but don't go on about it if you're not resisting it

Yeah fair point. I did wonder, seeing a photo of Winn and Regine holding the “I’m high on capitalism’ image of the zine to promote buying expensive versions of the album to get into a pre-sale (though I guess that is a way of not relying on Spotify or Amazon… promoting on Facebook).

is Winn self-aware of that in his lyrics? Does he ever try to justify it with links to charity etc?

Edited by DJL

19 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Yeah, I'm the same for certain bands, but I only started buying vinyl about 10 years ago, so I only have the first few AF albums on CD.

Also, new albums from Peaness and Belle & Sebastian out today, so I can't afford to get them all on vinyl!

I'll give the new B&S a whirl on Spotify this afternoon then make a call on whether to purchase.

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Around that time it was leaked on the national indoor arena website and that was the price as well. 

prices for them seem to be 55.70/64.20 and 78.50

thats what i saw on the NIA website

I very much enjoyed the album but I went with the mind set it won't be like the early stuff as EN showed us the turn and The Lightning reaffirmed their new direction whether it is intentional or not. I too think the subject matter and lyrical delivery can be a little grating but they leaned into it a little on Reflektor but was blended a tad better between the guise of love songs.

I purposely avoided any other contact with this album other than The Lightning and I have to say I really think there are some real top quality tracks on this record. I enjoyed the middle section but the flaws of their previous miss steps are very evident but I think End of Empire 1-111 has a Bowie kind of build I think will grow with time but Sagittarius A to Lightning 2 are the lows. On the other hand I think Age of Anxiety, Rabbit Hole, Lookout Kid, Race & Religion are up their with the highlights of EN and Reflektor and that is on first/second listen.

Its obviously not Funeral but it was never going to be but I really think we have 4 or 5 songs here that could stick about and hang out with their best in set lists to come.

• Upvote 2

On first listen I'm enjoying it, but definitely agree that there's just something missing? The production almost feels just a bit too clean/polished and yeah, the lyrics aren't great.

I think it'll grow on me with more listens and let's be honest, the songs will go up an ante live.