Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

13 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Stage set up mattered a lot. It was 360 configuration. If they had set it up as a regular end stage they wouldve had most sold out dates.

How many people do you reckon thought “360? Nah, not having that, I’ll just wait five years for the next tour”?

58 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Stage set up mattered a lot. It was 360 configuration. If they had set it up as a regular end stage they wouldve had most sold out dates.

but the 360 configuration did reduce the capacity. a normal 3 date run at wembley arena is 37500 not 34800

16 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Remove 3-4,000 seats a night and you have a sell out.

I think I see the disconnect here - Yes, in the US an end stage concert can potentially block out several thousand seats that would be usable with a 360 setup. But that doesn't really apply to anywhere near the same degree to most Arenas in the UK.

UK Arenas are primarily designed with end stage concerts in mind - so a lot of them tend to be mostly U shaped with just a small removable/retractable lower tier at one end. As a result the only seats out of commission are the ones that would've been within the actual footprint of the stage.

So running a show in a 360 configuration doesn't really free up many seats behind the stage and as a general rule can be assumed to be similar capacity.

13 hours ago, incident said:

I think I see the disconnect here - Yes, in the US an end stage concert can potentially block out several thousand seats that would be usable with a 360 setup. But that doesn't really apply to anywhere near the same degree to most Arenas in the UK.

UK Arenas are primarily designed with end stage concerts in mind - so a lot of them tend to be mostly U shaped with just a small removable/retractable lower tier at one end. As a result the only seats out of commission are the ones that would've been within the actual footprint of the stage.

So running a show in a 360 configuration doesn't really free up many seats behind the stage and as a general rule can be assumed to be similar capacity.

Well there ya go. Its not that I was assuming all arenas are built the same, its that you figure most end up with losing seats due to end stage. Since here theyre used for true multipurpose ( basketball and hockey mostly on top of concerts )  so you cant just make a U shape venue because of what its going to be used for all the time so there woyld be the seats lost when putting a stage up. So  over here you gain more when its 360. The U shape design and end stage consideration at a sports venue has only just been coming into use here the last couple years. Banc of California Stadium here in LA where the Mls team LAFC play was designed with that purpose so they can have end stage concerts and have every seat available. You can have 25,000+ at a concert with standing on the pitch with the way that stadium is. A handful of NFL stadiums are a U but they still arent built in a way where seats arent lose when putting a stage in there. The only genius move like that recently was The Weeknd performing his super bowl halftime show because of how that stadium was they couldve set the stage up and not infringed on anything at all. And there was less prep time tk get it ready during the game as normal time they have to put the stage onto the field and all. But yeah, good insight on seeing what I was missing, thanks.

Edited by Suprefan

On 4/29/2022 at 11:19 PM, broken monkey said:

What a gig! After an awful day personally (family bereavement), we needed something spiritual like this. Nothing like an Arcade Fire show to reinvigorate and lift the soul. 

Also, great to just bump into fellow efesters in the merch queue. (Matt and Jack, we owe you a drink at Glastonbury.)

It was great to meet both you and your wife mate and I'm really pleased you had a great evening after what must have been such a tough day.  It was a special gig! 

On 5/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, aidenlangan95 said:

I think the UK and Europe market was far stronger for the Everything Now tour compared to the US. 

A lot of the reports of half empty arenas was from the US. Saying that, they didn’t sell out any of the UK shows from what I remember.

Fair point - I went to the Esch show in Luxembourg and it was not just sold out but so busy they couldn’t get everyone in the door before the band were on stage… and then a few months later the Seattle show, where the floor was sold out but much of the seating was empty (and I was able to roll up and buy a decent seat on the door).