Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Going to add my .02 re: the Birmingham show. None of the rare cuts ya boy was hoping for, but bought into the artistry of the whole thing quite a lot. The crowd was... patchy: not much more to expect on a Sunday, mind. Win came into the crowd (Afterlife?) and did a little crouchy thing right in front of me which was pree cool, allegedly finished that with a snippet from So Long, Marianne but I couldn't make it out :( anyway, we got loads of Sarah from our side so :heart_eyes: 

Not the best I've seen them, but still super enjoyable. I find that not much of the new material was that good live, Electric Blue was actually dead rubbish come to think of it. However there's very little that gets me quite as much as being in a big room/field/etc. with loads of people singing back all the oos and aahs from Tunnels, Rebellion, etc.

55 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Here's a troubling question for you - why are people who didn't like Everything Now so aggressive about not liking it? I put up a Facebook post before going to see them the other day referencing the album and ended up with some guy I don't even know responding with a 3 comment long wall of vitriol against it. And in other places people seem constantly compelled to moan about it at every opportunity. Seems people are still furious at the album for existing and furious at the notion that anyone could enjoy it. 

Great album, btw. 

I've no idea.  The marketing was a bit annoying, but it's got some right crackers on there.  I know there's this (highly debatable) idea that every album they do is their worse than the previous one, but even if this was true, the drop-off in quality from record to record is tiny.

Plus, the title track of Everything Now is better than anything on The Suburbs.  Yes, including Sprawl 2 - come at me :D

Agree with Stu

its not their best body of work, but live the EN tracks sound incredible, I’ve said it on here before, i’ve Always seen Arcade Fire as a live experience, they do it better than most so I’ve never really looked at the albums too closely individually.

highlight last night for me was creature comfort, topped rebellion ( lies) Whitch has always been my favourite track of theirs live.

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Here's a troubling question for you - why are people who didn't like Everything Now so aggressive about not liking it? I put up a Facebook post before going to see them the other day referencing the album and ended up with some guy I don't even know responding with a 3 comment long wall of vitriol against it. And in other places people seem constantly compelled to moan about it at every opportunity. Seems people are still furious at the album for existing and furious at the notion that anyone could enjoy it. 

Great album, btw. 

Memes innit.

1 hour ago, blue6field said:

Agree with Stu

its not their best body of work, but live the EN tracks sound incredible, I’ve said it on here before, i’ve Always seen Arcade Fire as a live experience, they do it better than most so I’ve never really looked at the albums too closely individually.

highlight last night for me was creature comfort, topped rebellion ( lies) Whitch has always been my favourite track of theirs live.

Yeah, they really come alive live. Adding to that, I'd still place Everything Now as one of my top albums of 2017.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Going to add my .02 re: the Birmingham show. None of the rare cuts ya boy was hoping for, but bought into the artistry of the whole thing quite a lot. The crowd was... patchy: not much more to expect on a Sunday, mind. Win came into the crowd (Afterlife?) and did a little crouchy thing right in front of me which was pree cool, allegedly finished that with a snippet from So Long, Marianne but I couldn't make it out :( anyway, we got loads of Sarah from our side so :heart_eyes: 

Not the best I've seen them, but still super enjoyable. I find that not much of the new material was that good live, Electric Blue was actually dead rubbish come to think of it. However there's very little that gets me quite as much as being in a big room/field/etc. with loads of people singing back all the oos and aahs from Tunnels, Rebellion, etc.

Birmingham didn't hit the heights of the Wembley shows, but to be expected. Felt a lot busier round the back of the standing area than Wembley, and more static (again, to be expected on a Sunday).

Glad someone else heard the Leonard Cohen bit - thought I imagined it following the show.

Normal Person was a beast! Can give or take Neon Bible and Rococo.

Creature Comfort will be a live banger for years to come.

Edited by fingers_mark

13 hours ago, Meerkat said:

Been looking for the full set somewhere online for ages! Seen them on this tour and thought they were brilliant. My young stupid self missed them for Kaiser chiefs of all people back in 2014.

Do you mind me asking if you could send a link to the full set?

I'll try to remember to send you the link to the torrent I got it from when I'm home from work!

right so how come manchester didn't get Berny coming on to do Temptation then ffs. 

That would have literally been the highlight of my entire life. 

(I know the answer is he can't sing and so it probably would've been rubbish, but still...) 

Edited by the wonderwhy

9 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

right so how come manchester didn't get Berny coming on to do Temptation then ffs. 

That would have literally been the highlight of my entire life. 

(I know the answer is he can't sing and so it probably would've been rubbish, but still...) 

Unless it's The Killers or Brandon Flowers in town, he can't be arsed. Fair enough really.

3 hours ago, Rylbld9 said:

I've preferred EN to Reflektor pretty much since it was released. There's a handful of iffy songs (Peter Pan, Chemistry, Good God Damn and arguably the Infinite Contents) but all the other songs are bangers.

One day something clicked with the Infinite Content songs and all of a sudden I went from hating to loving them.

14 hours ago, Rylbld9 said:

I've preferred EN to Reflektor pretty much since it was released. There's a handful of iffy songs (Peter Pan, Chemistry, Good God Damn and arguably the Infinite Contents) but all the other songs are bangers.

Nowt wrong with Peter Pan, it's a choon.  Good God Damn has its moments and is a good album track. 

Chemistry, however, is pants.

15 minutes ago, evilduck said:

I think Chemistry and Peter Pan are the only two that I actively skip. It's a bit of an up and down album for me, like Reflektor. I don't hate it, but I don't think I love it either.

Reflektor and Everything Now best bits combined would have made one cracking album.

2 minutes ago, Retro P said:

One of the few EN tracks I like and fancied hearing live, it’s kinda half good half shit though. 

It went from being my least fave to being in my top five on the album.

Don’t think I’d fancy it being played live though. Even the supposedly well liked album tracks went down poorly so a divisive cut like PP would be a misstep.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It went from being my least fave to being in my top five on the album.

Don’t think I’d fancy it being played live though. Even the supposedly well liked album tracks went down poorly so a divisive cut like PP would be a misstep.

Don’t wanna pick on that album constantly but I’d struggle to pick a top 5, PP Creature Comfort and Everything Now slot into the back catalogue nicely though I think. The album is different to what they’ve done before so credit for that, still a fantastically creative band nigh 15 years on.