Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

I’m still in awe at the gig 4 days later.

I’ve listened to nothing else but Arcade Fire since then. 

I’ve ordered the last 2 albums of theirs I needed on vinyl to complete the collection.

Thinking of emigrating to Canada. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I’m rewatching their 2014 headline set, my very first Pyramid headliner ^_^ I only knew about three of their songs back then, wish I’d taken the time to research them properly! What do you reckon the chances are of them headlining again?

A tough one.  They're in dire danger of falling into "too small to headline Pyramid, too big to play any of the other stages, because they headline everywhere else" territory.  They're probably a little smaller than in 2014 and were quite small to be topping the bill even then.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

A tough one.  They're in dire danger of falling into "too small to headline Pyramid, too big to play any of the other stages, because they headline everywhere else" territory.

Yeah agreed, if Everything Now was a bigger success do you think people would be predicting then for next year? Or would it still have been too soon since their last visit

Just now, The Clearest Blue said:

Yeah agreed, if Everything Now was a bigger success do you think people would be predicting then for next year? Or would it still have been too soon since their last visit

Too soon and they're not touring.

I think The Suburbs was peak time for Arcade Fire to headline popular festivals, really. They were the top of the world, all the indie rock bands picked up weird instruments and fell in behind them. Reflektor tour was the chance for all the festivals that missed out to have the second bite of the cherry. I think they were naturally always headed for the category S2H described in his post and they're probably gonna be an act like The Cure that will headline festivals off the back of a strong legacy and devoted following but the popular affairs will turn to someone more commercially viable when it comes to repeating headliners.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Too soon and they're not touring.

I think The Suburbs was peak time for Arcade Fire to headline popular festivals, really. They were the top of the world, all the indie rock bands picked up weird instruments and fell in behind them. Reflektor tour was the chance for all the festivals that missed out to have the second bite of the cherry. I think they were naturally always headed for the category S2H described in his post and they're probably gonna be an act like The Cure that will headline festivals off the back of a strong legacy and devoted following but the popular affairs will turn to someone more commercially viable when it comes to repeating headliners.

That’s a shame, it would be dreamy to see them at my favourite festival again. Any festival that they headlined would definitely draw my interest that’s for sure. Perhaps if they’re next album is spectacular, but as has been said it seems they’re output is diminishing with each attempt. Although I liked EN, it can’t be argued that it’s as good as previous albums.

18 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

That’s a shame, it would be dreamy to see them at my favourite festival again. Any festival that they headlined would definitely draw my interest that’s for sure. Perhaps if they’re next album is spectacular, but as has been said it seems they’re output is diminishing with each attempt. Although I liked EN, it can’t be argued that it’s as good as previous albums.

There’s plenty of argument about it being better than certain albums of theirs. The Suburbs is their most successful but you wouldn’t find a majority saying it’s their best. They can put out their best ever album next and it will be their least successful. Just the way it goes as certain bands grow into maturity.

Edited by dentalplan

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There’s plenty of argument about it being better than certain albums of theirs. The Suburbs is their most successful but you wouldn’t find a majority saying it’s their best. They can put out their best ever album next and it will be their least successful. Just the way it goes as certain bands grow into maturity.

Well at least I managed to find and download a decent version of their 2014 set then :D

27 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Well at least I managed to find and download a decent version of their 2014 set then :D

Been looking for the full set somewhere online for ages! Seen them on this tour and thought they were brilliant. My young stupid self missed them for Kaiser chiefs of all people back in 2014.

Do you mind me asking if you could send a link to the full set?

Been banging all the live sets I could get my hands on in work today; Glastonbury 07, Reading 10, the Terry Gilliam film of the MSG Suburbs show, Earl's Court 14, some Mexican fest from the Reflektor tour. That show has really rekindled my interest in them, such an exceptional band other than the supreme boo-boo of Everything Now.

Here's a troubling question for you - why are people who didn't like Everything Now so aggressive about not liking it? I put up a Facebook post before going to see them the other day referencing the album and ended up with some guy I don't even know responding with a 3 comment long wall of vitriol against it. And in other places people seem constantly compelled to moan about it at every opportunity. Seems people are still furious at the album for existing and furious at the notion that anyone could enjoy it. 

Great album, btw. 

Add me to the glowing-report-from-Glasgow list - before the show I did joke about Jim Kerr being the special guest but was still surprised when he was introduced.  Ideal for the Glasgow crowd!  Fantastic staging and production, wish I'd gone more than once on this tour now.