Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

1 hour ago, blue6field said:

Seems to be a real split on opinions in this album!

I've always viewed them as a live act, rather than an album and singles band

I think they'll nail this tour completely! The best of the 5 records, plus 4 or 5 of infinite content, should be one of the best shows of next year

Interesting, I've always felt they were a band who did 'proper' albums (i.e. theme, running order, not front loaded) as well as obviously a great live band.

You are right - the shows could be great. But I do think it's what? 4 years since the last album? Is this really the best they've come up with in 4 years, being that they are clearly a fantastic band... i.e. 2 or 3 good tunes. 

Diminishing returns for me. That's not to say the gigs won't be great, but you can garauntee the some newer stuff will see people head to the bar I reckon.

Edited by Yokel Again

1 hour ago, Yokel Again said:

Interesting, I've always felt they were a band who did 'proper' albums (i.e. theme, running order, not front loaded) as well as obviously a great live band.

You are right - the shows could be great. But I do think it's what? 4 years since the last album? Is this really the best they've come up with in 4 years, being that they are clearly a fantastic band... i.e. 2 or 3 good tunes. 

Diminishing returns for me. That's not to say the gigs won't be great, but you can garauntee the some newer stuff will see people head to the bar I reckon.

I had a copy of funeral when it came out, skipped through it and thought ok, it's not bad.

saw a MTV live show of them from some small venue in San Francisco and thought I need to see theses guys live! Listened again to funeral and heard it totally different!

Caught them at the Barrowlands late that year and remains still the best show I've ever seen!

always a live band for me

Edited by blue6field
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, blue6field said:

I had a copy of funeral when it came out, skipped through it and thought ok, it's not bad.

saw a MTV live show of them from some small venue in San Francisco and thought I need to see theses guys live! Listened again to funeral and heard it totally different!

Caught them at the Barrowlands late that year and remains still the best show I've ever seen!

always a live band for me

Of course, they are a great live band, don't doubt it one bit, seen them 4 times I think... all great, esp. Hackney empire pre-the Suburbs.

They used to do great albums too, was my point really. :-) 

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

Of course, they are a great live band, don't doubt it one bit, seen them 4 times I think... all great, esp. Hackney empire pre-the Suburbs.

They used to do great albums too, was my point really. :-) 

I know what you mean, I was only saying it from how I've always viewed them, but then I'm the same with most bands, I always hear the albums differently once I've caught the live show,

3 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

Have seen they're advertising this album on prime time TV slots - saw an advert on Channel 4 last night. Can't even remember the last time any sort of rock band advertised their album like this. Just a shame so much of the album is disappointing...

Nah, loads of major rock bands get that treatment, usually with Zane Lowe's voice over it. I remember The Suburbs being pushed on every other ad break.