Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

It just doesn't seem to have that timeless feel the other albums have. When I think of AF I think to the days of hearing Neighbourhood #1 for the first time and what a magical experience it was. This new record just doesn't elicit the same feelings. I do really love We Don't Deserve Love though. A beautiful track!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So is the general impression that the sound is fucked up on the leak? I've nothing against listening to leaks, but I don't want to have crappy versions of these songs to be my first impressions. Especially when I can just wait a few more days.

Seemed absolutely fine to me, but then I'm in no way an audiophile and maybe people are hearing things that I ain't. 

Didn't spot anything wrong with the leak but I also have broken all my decent headphones and was listening on some crappy earbuds so can't judge much. I just know the album bangs start to finish. Highlight the space below for a vaguely spoilery observation -

Quite cute how the end of it loops back round into the start - they've gone and made the Nonagon Infinity of 2017, have some original ideas fellas! :P But they did effectively replicate that album's trick of making the final moments of the album feel musically incomplete without going back to the start - can't leave it without at least hearing Everything Now proper one more time.

Caved and listened to the leak. Agree with the general consensus on here; it's just alright. Don't think it helped that the best tracks on the album were released beforehand, sans We Don't Deserve Love no other track stands out to me. Lyrically it's quite poor too, which is surprising as I reckon Everything Now and Creature Comfort are well up there in terms of best Arcade Fire lyrics. 

Could well be a grower, but right now I'd go Neon Bible>>Funeral>>The Suburbs>>Reflektor>>Everything Now

• Upvote 1

Probably worth letting it grow on you. The singles weren't hotly received at first and now they're quite well praised. And - though I wasn't around - from what I gather there were initial complaints about every album after Funeral and now Neon Bible and The Suburbs are hailed as flawless gems.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Probably worth letting it grow on you. The singles weren't hotly received at first and now they're quite well praised. And though I wasn't around; from what I gather there were initial complaints about every album after Funeral and now Neon Bible and The Suburbs are hailed as flawless gems.

I let the album loop and you know what? On second listen it does sound much better already. Not sure if it'll knock Reflektor off 4th spot, but I'm not as let down as I was initially. 

Edited by Johnkhutch

The albums really grown on me! Wasn't a fan of Good God Damn originally, but it works really well as one massive song with Put Your Money On Me and We Don't Deserve Love. If they split those three songs up on setlists I'm going to be upset.

Now listening to the album sounds like two EPs put together, especially with the use of Infinite Content and Everything Now slow. If Electric Blue and Creature Comfort had been swapped it would have been a clear split between dancey songs on Side A and songs on depression on Side B. In any case, it's definitely designed for vinyl - listening to Infinite Content twice immediately back to back is really irritating.

6 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Quite cute how the end of it loops back round into the start - they've gone and made the Nonagon Infinity of 2017, have some original ideas fellas! :P But they did effectively replicate that album's trick of making the final moments of the album feel musically incomplete without going back to the start - can't leave it without at least hearing Everything Now proper one more time.

Oh, Nonogram Infinity? Is that the album that ripped off what Pink Floyd's The Wall did 34 years earlier by having the end loop back to the beginning? Have some original ideas, fellas! 

That trick's as old as the hills!

Edited by fowls