Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

Already pre-ordered the album so will hopefully get tickets in the pre-sale. Wouldn't have minded doing a couple of dates but doesn't really fit in so Manchester on the Sunday it is. Already booked a hotel for the night, £24. Only a bus ride home but fancy making a weekend of it.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

They've definitely started to become a band that are cool to hate, but I think this time round it may be kind of justified. I fully believe that they've got a great album(s) left in them and look forward to whenever it comes, but I'm 100% certain this ain't it. In years to come I think the Reflektor/Everything Now disco era of the band will be looked back on as when it went a bit wrong. Sure hope they move away from it next time. 

I'll report back on if I still have this opinion after I've actually listened to the album though as it's starting to sound as if I've already made my decision :lol: 

My prediction is it'll be middle of the road Arcade Fire - not bad, not great.  Fans will like it just fine, people who hate the new sound won't. So far every album has had a distinctive sound, but this one sounds like a mish mash of previous sounds that don't quite fit together - which would be fine if the lyrics weren't so repetitive and formulaic (or if the album was longer). Even Everything Now (by far the most developed track so far) has an "every X has a Y" repetition to it. It'll be fun, and  it's good to see the songs in the live set, but don't think I'll be raving about this album for years to come.  It almost feels like these songs are meant to be played live and the record release is incidental. 

But after four amazing albums I'm happy to see them come up with a fun throw away record that they enjoy performing. They have plenty of longevity in them and I doubt this will be the last time they change their sound drastically.  

As for Reflektor, that tour was when the band honed their showmanship, and crafted stage presence to match the music.  Win in particular seemed to enjoy performing in a way he didn't before.  I can't believe so many here see it as a low point!

Edited by fowls

13 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

isn't that, like, partly the point though? 

Either way I think the lyricism is great. Especially on Signs of Life. Really connect with it 

Yeah, it works *really* well on Creature Comforts. I don't think repeating the same trick on SoL and EB is all that great, they sound half written and don't have the context to back them up - the way it works so well on CC shows up how it doesn't work on the others if anything.  Besides, Arcade Fire were never the type to repeat the same trick on every track.   I don't think it makes much of a difference live though - SoL and EB are dancers, the lyrics are irrelevant.  Reckon they'd make great remixes.

On the bright side, I love SoL for keeping up the tradition of the band making fun of their fans!  

Edited by fowls

25 minutes ago, cloudb said:

Unsure of what to do for this tour.

Have seen AF at least once on each of their tours but have no interest in paying £125 for 2 tickets.

Decisions, decisions.

They sounded better in Manchester recently than they did on their last couple of tours, if that helps?

Plus seeing them in the round will probably be a lot of fun. 

9 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Eurghhh I was hoping to pick up some spares nearer the time. Looks like it's now or never though if you want tickets. This wasn't even in place for the Castlefield Bowl gig so fuck knows why they've brought it in now.

Screenshot_2017-07-21-11-05-45.png

I know it's shit for some they've released tickets so early, but surely this is a good thing as it cuts down on touting? 

6 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I know it's shit for some they've released tickets so early, but surely this is a good thing as it cuts down on touting? 

Its a shite anti touting measure IMO. If you are going to attack touting go full trottle and do it Glastonbury style. Also allow for refunds. Ticketmasters no refund policy is bollox if buying tickets so far in advance. Also it prevents tickets being bought for presents and for peoples teenage kids etc etc. They need to employ a better system

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Ticketmaster have done things in the past where you can return your ticket to the pot if you're unable to go, and it's sold out. This was the case for Radiohead's TKOL tour, so this information may have depreciated somewhat - but that was also a ticket requiring ID. I'd suggest purchasing through a vendor with a history of this kinda thing, at least. As in, not AXS.

10 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Its a shite anti touting measure IMO. If you are going to attack touting go full trottle and do it Glastonbury style. Also allow for refunds. Ticketmasters no refund policy is bollox if buying tickets so far in advance. Also it prevents tickets being bought for presents and for peoples teenage kids etc etc. They need to employ a better system

It worked reasonably well for Radiohead - not perfect and it did mean that whatever tickets did make their way onto the secondary market cost a lot more at times. But that's only because the supply of secondary tickets on the market was less meaning far more tickets were bought by actual fans in the first place.

You can buy tickets for people, just put their name as the "lead booker" on the ticket. Teenage kids isn't ideal as they might not have photo ID except for a passport, but then you're talking about a narrow window as young teens would likely be accompanied by parents anyway. Putting photos on the ticket is fine for an annual event that you register for and the cost is absorbed into the 240 quid ticket price. Less practical for gigs that can pop up now and then and where it'd make a much bigger difference to the ticket price. 

The system isn't perfect but it's much better than scores of tickets being bought by touts. And they're bringing in this fan to fan resale portal aren't they? That combined with this could work quite well if its done right, as you could sell them back to the portal and another fan could buy named tickets.  

26 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I think it's a good idea, just think they need to make it easier to sell tickets. You should be able to return them to the ticket company until x amount of time before the gig. 

If the likes of Ticketmaster simply have you register with a photo then every time you buy a ticket with them it would come with your photo and details on it. Im sure thats not hard for them to employ. 

Radiohead this year did not work in that I know loads of folk who bought on the black market and the bouncers/security did not bother checking tickets on the way in. So whats the point?

If booking with your credit card do you not have to be the "lead booker"? Teenagers dont have credit cards usually and so cant be lead bookers if thats the case. 

Also the way its set up with booking so far in advance it doesnt allow for peoples circumstances to change. People should not have to take out ticket insurance when buying a ticket so far in advance of a gig IMO. Its just a personal bug bear of mine that they "lock you into a gig" nso far out from the date of a gig.