Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

13 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Arcade Fire at Leeds Festival 2005 has to be one of my favourite ever festival/gig moments.

Up there with one of my favorites as well. Their 2007 set before the Chilli Pepper's snoozfest was good but not on a par with 2005 in the NME tent.

Tried to see Arctic Monkeys that year but it was about 15 rows deep outside the tent when i got there.  

Arcade Fire at the Leadmill Sheffield in 2005 were just incredible. I remember halfway during the set Win got a bottle of wine and presented it to a couple on the front row as he'd been told it was their wedding anniversary. Plus when they used to walk through the crowd during their sets. They'd play every single gig like it was their last. 

Bit harder to do that these days, but it's been pretty special seeing a band from when they were that size becoming such a huge band. And knowing it was so utterly inevitable that's what would happen. Still producing plenty of good stuff and a cracking live act so can't ask for much more really. 

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think Everything Now is up there lyrically with the best they've ever done.  These two line in particular really get me in the gut

and

and I work from home so I see my daughter more, but I still get something in my eye at that last line!

Every inch of space in my heart is filled with something I'll never start

Is a personal favourite. I've loved the song from first listen, can't wait to see them again in July...maybe even sooner, who knows? Oh and it's got the classic Win "Wooo".

15 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Arcade Fire at Leeds Festival 2005 has to be one of my favourite ever festival/gig moments.

The whole set was incredible, opening with Wake Up and featuring No Cars Go (which pre-dates Funeral, let alone The Suburbs) but coming to the end they'd over ran their time and had already been told to get off the stage with still Power Out and Rebellion unplaced.

I'm there with one of my best friends and we're just wondering which one they're going to finish with before they're thrown off the stage. Power Out kicks in and we turn to each other, slightly disappointed, but thinking "fair enough". The set ends, it looks like they're leaving. Then...nah, fuck it, Rebellion kicks in! What a moment. What a moment.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arcade-fire/2005/little-johns-farm-reading-england-63d48e4f.html

Here's an excerpt from our very own eFestivals review:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/leeds/2005/review-arcadefire.shtml

I was so so gutted that Sleater Kinney (The Woods tour) clashed with AF that year. Had to leave halfway through the set. One of those decisions I'll never regret but wish I never had to make in the first place. Definitely the worst clash I've ever experienced.

Edited by fowls

1 minute ago, arcade fireman said:

I really like Everything Now...except for those panpipes. They're just a bit too much...The song is already laced with sugar! 

I like the panpipes but every time I hear it I can help but think of the opening song in Matilda

I think Everything Now is okay, but kinda filler by AF standards. I get that thematically it's probably the lead single (from the sounds of the info available at the mo), but for me Creature Comforts is so much more striking. It has the fierce defiance of Funeral era mixed with the punk angst of the Joan of Arc intro. 

I thought Creature Comforts was such a happy bouncy pop tune until I started listening to the lyrics... Dark.

3 minutes ago, fowls said:

I was so so gutted that Sleater Kinney (The Woods tour) clashed with AF that year. Had to leave halfway through the set. One of those decisions I'll never regret but wish I never had to make in the first place. Definitely the worst clash I've ever experienced.

Ouch. That's a horrible clash but seeing a bit of both is probably the right call. 

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Windowsill + In The Backseat would be fantastic - hope all the upcoming setlists have gems like that for you guys. Apart from (ATB), they're not allowed to play that if I'm not there. Sorry

Another corker of a setlist. In the Backseat is a great song to close on, not sure If i'd rather hear Suburban War or Intervention. 

4 hours ago, reflekting said:

Another corker of a setlist. In the Backseat is a great song to close on, not sure If i'd rather hear Suburban War or Intervention. 

Suburban War for me! Hoping it sticks around for a while

Sounds Of The City is just the umbrella name for the run of gigs at Castlefield Bowl every summer.

Not listened to Beak> yet, but they're a Bristol band that Arcade Fire seem to like. (as Scruff says!) Win has done a remix of their forthcoming single Sex Music. The "Win Butler Knight Rider Remix" no less!

22 hours ago, fowls said:

Yeah that's an insanely bad clash, don't think I've ever come up against anything that bad. Turned out to be the right decision for you though, it'd have been a 10+ year wait to for another chance to see S-K.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Only just got round to listening to Everything Now - finally - well worth the wait. Hopefully this album isn't 25 minutes too long :-) 

Looks like a 10 song record, with 3 "extras".

3 hours ago, Lord Rooster said:

Just bagged myself two tickets to the Edinburgh gig.  Score!

There still appear to be more available via See for anyone local or who can manage the trek at such short notice!

Thanks for the info! Managed to get myself tickets thanks to you!

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

https://www.pscp.tv/jolspencer/1BRJjWLmQdoxw

They played another new one, Signs of Life, tonight. Can hear it in the link above. They also brought Tunnels back and dropped The Suburbs, must be the first time in ages they've not played that.

I like it but I was expecting it to go somewhere else at the end