Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

They headlined Reading/Leeds and their own show at Hyde Park, their last album went Platinum in the UK, they're critically acclaimed, are heavily involved in charity work and are very good. More than worthy of headlining, in fact exactly the type of band Glastonbury should be giving a chance to.

yeh thats true that is was a crap decade. I was racking my brains for ages trying to think of bands that had formed in the 2000s....it was a pretty shit decade!

The Fratellis! :P Third album on the way, shoo in for the headline spot !! ;)

As much I think Arcade Fire deserve the headline slot and are sizeable enough to do it. I wanna be selfish and have them headline the other stage to a more appreciative crowd! (Or put Jessie J or someone of that ilk headlining the other stage to draw off those with poor taste, that would better.)

Played the Arena and GMex in MCR on their last tour plus the Arena in 2007. Also the SECC in Glasgow and Edinburgh Castle.

I saw them at the MEN a couple of years ago and I'm telling you they would storm a Glastonbury headline slot.

I can't believe we're having to try and convince people of this!

yeh thats true that is was a crap decade. I was racking my brains for ages trying to think of bands that had formed in the 2000s....it was a pretty shit decade!

Strokes, The White Stripes, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Foals, Bon Iver, The National, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Foals, Coldplay, The Coral, LCD Soundsystem, Dizee Rascal, Elbow, The Libertines, Sufjan Stevens, Fleet Foxes, Amy Winehouse, Adele are some of the bands I can think of (I probably like about half of that list), and I know I've forgot loads.

Strokes, The White Stripes, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Foals, Bon Iver, The National, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Foals, Coldplay, The Coral, LCD Soundsystem, Dizee Rascal, Elbow, The Libertines, Sufjan Stevens, Fleet Foxes, Amy Winehouse, Adele are some of the bands I can think of (I probably like about half of that list), and I know I've forgot loads.

Out of all those acts, the only ones that weren't formed before 2000, are broken up/dead, too small to headline, have refused to play are Arctic Monkeys and The Killers, arguably Dizzee as well, depending on what your thoughts are on him headlining (it's a no from me).

Played the Arena and GMex in MCR on their last tour plus the Arena in 2007. Also the SECC in Glasgow and Edinburgh Castle.

i know they played the secc & edinburgh castle..sizeable gigs...but then runrig / ocean colour scene / paul weller & a load more acts sell those type gigs out as well.

i just don't believe there is a big love affair with that band up here.

compare that with a list of bands formed in any other decade though and it's pretty appalling...

also some of those were formed in the 90s anyway

compare that with a list of bands formed in any other decade though and it's pretty appalling...

i agree...rather sad to see the 'cream' of the 21st century so far...meagre pickings for youngsters to get excited about , perhaps its no wonder then the NME has turned to being more like a celebrity gossip magazine than a guitar music mag.

Edited by Northernsoul45

"Guitar music mag"?

indie rock / guitar music...was always the case when i first bought the NME, early 90's..nirvana.pearl jam/manics/suede/britpop years...they did start dropping some dance music in later in the 90's when the prodigy / chem brothers/leftfield /underworld crossed over, but still was guitar music centric.(of course not too heavy so you had raw / kerrang / metal hammer catering for the ROCK/metal market.

i did used to buy melody maker / nme / kerrang & metal hammer most months (in fact i bought the NME every week from the age of 14 up til i was around 29/30

i know they played the secc & edinburgh castle..sizeable gigs...but then runrig / ocean colour scene / paul weller & a load more acts sell those type gigs out as well.

i just don't believe there is a big love affair with that band up here.

I'm from MCR and live in Glasgow and I know loads of AF fans in both cities. I've no idea where you're going with this one. Even if fans of Arcade Fire got the bends when going north of Walsall would it affect their ability to headline Glastonbury?

I'd say if we totted up all the headline sized acts still going there'd be more bands that started/rose to prominence in the 00's than any other decade, and the other decades have the benefit of reforming especially for the headline slots. Besides, everyone is obsessed with having dinosaurs headline anyway.

Yes, but they came to prominence in the 2000's. Who knew The Strokes in 98? I think The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem and Sufjan Stevens are some of my favourite artists ever. Up there with anything I liked in the 90's.

I think every generation has good bands. If you think music is crap at the moment, then you're not looking hard enough. There should always be someone somewhere doing something great. They might not always be popular mind.

There was one year, 2009 I think which had The Horrors - Primary Colours, The XX- The XX, Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz which I thought were all amazing. The last PJ Harvey Album is as good as any I've bought.

Arcade Fires - Funeral is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, but they came to prominence in the 2000's. Who knew The Strokes in 98? I think The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem and Sufjan Stevens are some of my favourite artists ever. Up there with anything I liked in the 90's.

I think every generation has good bands. If you think music is crap at the moment, then you're not looking hard enough. There should always be someone somewhere doing something great. They might not always be popular mind.

There was one year, 2009 I think which had The Horrors - Primary Colours, The XX- The XX, Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz which I thought were all amazing. The last PJ Harvey Album is as good as any I've bought.

Arcade Fires - Funeral is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

The reason dinosaurs headline year after year is cos the new stuff coming through is crap. You've mentioned a load of bands who have been around for way longer than the 2000s. PJ harvey, white stripes, arcade fire. They are from last century.

The band of the moment, mumford & sons, flopped this year.

Compare that with radiohead who headlined in 1997 at a similar point of their career.

albums of the year this year? bowie, nick cave....who is there to replace guys like that?

the bloody horrors!?

Edited by russycarps

The reason dinosaurs headline year after year is cos the new stuff coming through is crap. You've mentioned a load of bands who have been around for way longer than the 2000s. PJ harvey, white stripes, arcade fire. They are from last century.

The band of the moment, mumford & sons, flopped this year.

Compare that with radiohead who headlined in 1997 at a similar point of their career.

albums of the year this year? bowie, nick cave....who is there to replace guys like that?

the bloody horrors!?

Arcade Fire were formed in 2001, Funeral was 2004. They're a band from the 2000's. First White Stripes single was 1998, but White Blood Cells was 2001 and Elephant 2003. They're much more a band of the 2000's than a 90s.

Couldn't care less about Mumfords. I hate the current trend for bands reforming. With an older festival audience that appear less prepared to take chances, who want things they know, you end up with lots of these types of bands. With Arctic Monkeys and Mumfords, Glastonbury at least tried to offer us some headliners that are current (although I personally don't like either).

I like to think that when you look at a Glastonbury line-up, it kind of capture the essence of the music scene at the time. Happy Mondays 1990, Oasis 95, Radiohead 97, White Stripes 05, but I don't think it does anymore.

In my opinion Arcade Fire are the best of the big bands at the moment, and they would be the first headliner I've seen on the Pyramid since 2005.

As for best albums this year, Boards of Canada (yep another 90's band), Mount Kimbie, Fuck Buttons, none of them are going to be massive but so what. Bowie and Cave are exceptional. Artists like that don't come along very often. You'll disagree, but I think Arcade Fire are up with them (Bowie is certainly desperate to share the stage with them).