Latitude 2014

Gingerbond

I would most certainly not hold your breath for the almighty Mozfather.

In an ideal world anybody out of The Flaming Lips, Bjork, Massive Attack, Posrtishead, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, PJ Harvey, Iggy & The Stooges, The Cure, Primal Scream or Jack White would suit me. Either Patti Smith, Bob Dylan or Yoko Ono would be my pick for the legends slot

I would most certainly not hold your breath for the almighty Mozfather.

In an ideal world anybody out of The Flaming Lips, Bjork, Massive Attack, Posrtishead, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, PJ Harvey, Iggy & The Stooges, The Cure, Primal Scream or Jack White would suit me. Either Patti Smith, Bob Dylan or Yoko Ono would be my pick for the legends slot

Would take most of them especially bjork, the cure, portishead, nick cave and jack white.

Although bjork a 100% no.

I'll go with this for now:

Obelisk Arena:

Friendly Fires The Flaming Lips Manic Street Preachers

Bombay Bicycle Club Bat For Lashes Goldfrapp

Tame Impala Neutral Milk Hotel Johnny Marr

Passenger Deerhunter Dexys

London Grammar MS MR Savages

Special Guest: Lou Reed

Word Arena:

Warpaint Keane Boards of Canada

Flying Lotus Patti Smith Four Tet

Polica Mount Kimbie Gold Panda

Come now, why must you say things you know will hurt me? Do I kill your lovely dreams with cold, calculating, cruel reality? No, I never do that.

And you kids pack it in with The Vaccines talk now, it's absurd.

Haha only saying that as she's said the london date will be the last in Europe on this tour, although saying that she's playing in Berlin after it.

I'll go with this for now:

Obelisk Arena:

Friendly Fires The Flaming Lips Manic Street Preachers

Bombay Bicycle Club Bat For Lashes Goldfrapp

Tame Impala Neutral Milk Hotel Johnny Marr

Passenger Deerhunter Dexys

London Grammar MS MR Savages

Special Guest: Lou Reed

Word Arena:

Warpaint Keane Boards of Canada

Flying Lotus Patti Smith Four Tet

Polica Mount Kimbie Gold Panda

That looks a very viable line up. I can see Goldfrapp playing with a full Orchestra just as the sun sets.

He played 3rd on the bill under Iggy & the Stooges & Morrissey at Hop Farm 2011 so I don't think he's an ego maniac. I'd argue he doesn't have the mainstream appeal or live reputation to headline Latitude.

Fair enough. I think I'd read that he had an ego so I thought he'd find himself above it. Didn't know about Hop Farm.

How about Bastille as a headliner? Now I love there album and there crowd at reading/Leeds will be huge.

Newish, mainstream, getting bigger and bigger.

If they release another album by then or To early?

To early in my opinion. Album was only released in February and don't think we will get the FATM one album headliner again. I would have thought a slot around 3rd on the bill may be likely.

And you kids pack it in with The Vaccines talk now, it's absurd.

You should be prepared for the possibility. FR will always boot acts up the bill as part of a long term picture; Foals headlining Latitude and Vaccines and Bombay in big slots at last year's R+L. It's just whether they think Vaccines still fit with Latitude, if not I suppose they'll move Friendly Fires up instead.

You should be prepared for the possibility. FR will always boot acts up the bill as part of a long term picture; Foals headlining Latitude and Vaccines and Bombay in big slots at last year's R+L. It's just whether they think Vaccines still fit with Latitude, if not I suppose they'll move Friendly Fires up instead.

I definitely don't reckon The Vaccines will headline Latitude ever. They've just not had the critical success necessary, they're just an indie pop band, here today gone tomorrow, fair enough they're big with the kids now, but they don't have the musical credibility or the wide enough appeal. Latitude is clearly going for a more musically discerning audience and a broad spectrum of ages, The Vaccines would appease a lot of 16 year olds, but there's a big older crowd that would be put off the festival unless one of the other headliners is a belter.

I'm glad that Friendly Fires seems to have caught people's imagination as a possibility, when I floated the idea with my friends they said I was being stupid. The intelligentsia of efests wins again.

I definitely don't reckon The Vaccines will headline Latitude ever. They've just not had the critical success necessary, they're just an indie pop band, here today gone tomorrow, fair enough they're big with the kids now, but they don't have the musical credibility or the wide enough appeal. Latitude is clearly going for a more musically discerning audience and a broad spectrum of ages, The Vaccines would appease a lot of 16 year olds, but there's a big older crowd that would be put off the festival unless one of the other headliners is a belter.

I'm glad that Friendly Fires seems to have caught people's imagination as a possibility, when I floated the idea with my friends they said I was being stupid. The intelligentsia of efests wins again.

Florence critical acclaim and discerning audience?

I disagree about The Vaccines. They'd be a crap booking but I maintain they're possible. I wouldn't have said so before this years headliners were announced but it appears they may be trying to appeal to a wider audience now, including 16 year olds.

Plenty of indie bands get booked for Latitude but the ones that don't get booked like Kasabian or Beady Eye would obviously be nowhere near; it's not clear whether Vaccines fall into that bracket or the one with the likes Maccabees, Bloc Party, Foals, etc. My criteria would usually be whether they get played on 6music, which they do. But ulimately, if it's one or the other, I'd still say Friendly Fires are more likely as they're gonna be hot property next year with a new album and undeniably fit in at Latitude.

• Upvote 1

Florence critical acclaim and discerning audience?

Perhaps not so much any more, but the festival has grown since then, her first album runs rings around anything The Vaccines have ever made, and she got herself a Mercury Prize nomination, while I'm against most any type of awards, and the Mercurys have had some real rotters among their picks, take a look at the nominees for as long as Latitude's been going and look at the line-ups....

I disagree about The Vaccines. They'd be a crap booking but I maintain they're possible. I wouldn't have said so before this years headliners were announced but it appears they may be trying to appeal to a wider audience now, including 16 year olds.

Well we'll agree to disagree, but I'd like to go on record as having stamped a big fat ixnay on The Vaccines ever headlining Latitude, unless they undergo a radical change.

Friday

Obelisk Arena: The Vaccines // Bombay Bicycle Club // Editors // Frightened Rabbit
BBC Radio 6 Music Stage: Modest Mouse // Palma Violets

Saturday

Obelisk Arena: Pixies // The Flaming Lips // Neutral Milk Hotel // HAIM
BBC Radio 6 Music Stage: Everything Everyhing // Peace

Sunday

Obelisk Arena: Jack White // Manic Street Preachers // Tame Impala // Johnny Marr
BBC Radio 6 Music Stage: Crystal Castles // CHVRCHES