Rock Werchter 2014

Guest Dead throne

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm not much into camping so that part of the experience doesn't intrigue me. I guess I march to my own drummer. I want to experience the music and be with my friends (maybe even meeting some new ones). To me, that'st the main thing.

I'm also planning sightseeing and other activities before and after the festival. I'm not sure if it would work out but I see that the The Ommegang Pageant goes on in Brussels about this time so perhaps that could be something to see a day or so before going to RW.

For those that have attended, how good is the wifi? Do the vendors that sell t-shirts and other such items take credit cards and cash?

Edited by shadeswv

If you're staying at a hotel I'd order now but in Leuven, not Brussels. I don't know how these package deals RW has work, but I've been going for five years now and always stay in Leuven. There is a free shuttle bus that goes all day from Leuven and until about one hour after the last band plays. There are no shuttle busses or trains that late to Brussels so you'd have to take a taxi, witch is quite expensive...but as I said, maybe the RW hotel package has some kind of transportation between Werchter and Brussels, I don't know. But I love Leuven, it's a beautiful little city :)

The clothing stalls do not accept credit cards. There is an ATM on the festival site but i'd recommend you use one in Leuven as there is only one ATM at the festival site and the cue can be a bit long.

And the Wifi, I don't really know anything about it. I just use 3G...but it's not like I'm browsing on Facebook all day as my time goes in drinking beer, listening to music and goof around with good friends :)

From what I recall when I was looking at the packages this year, RW had hotel packages in both Brussels and Leuven. I looked them up and even though the offers have expired, you can read about them here:

http://www.deboeck-incoming.com/Default.aspx?Culture=en&PageID=215&AdminPreview=true&AdminModuleID=1

This is what I thought was a nice touch:

"- Each day 1 transfer by coach from your hotel to the Rock Werchter Terrace and back. We drop you off close to the Main Stage. So no queue or long walking distances for you!"

The issue with booking things now is that I am still in the process of getting everyone together and deciding who is going.

The packages in Leuven were done by another company:

http://www.travel2dance.nl/party/rock_werchter_2013

I had e-mailed some of the hotels listed in the De Boeck package, including NH Hotel in Brussels and they did confirm they had some guests this year that attended RW 13. They don't show on the page anymore but I had printed them out before and you can seem them using Google's cache, but I digress.

The thing about credit and debit cards from the USA is that we have magnetic strips and the chip and pin system is over in Europe. In most cases, it should not be an issue. However, in automated machines and kiosks, it can be. It sounds like I should have some cash on hand and maybe have some of it exchanged before the trip. When I went to Canada, I exchanged some currency at a bank. That could be an option as well, although I don't want to roam around to much to do so. Keep in mind that using my debit card in a foreign ATM is likely to rack up some high fees.

I don't care so much about the wifi so much at the event. Any serious browsing or uploading of photos we might want to do can be done back at the hotel. Perhaps I will consider the Leuven option, but I will see what available packages are available when the time comes.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.

I mean you don't need loads of cash on you at any time since they use vouchers/tickets system for beer/drinks and food. Another tip is to buy any merch you want as soon as possible since they tend to run out on merch and sizes pretty quickly!

I know some banks will have a fee when you exchange, but allow you to exchange back to your currency for free when you get back as long as you keep the original reciepe left.

Some updates, confirmed by the festival through Twitter/email this week:

- The organisers don't know themselves yet when the first name will be announced

- Ticket sale will definitely start later than last year

Viewing that the ticket sale only starts when every festival day has at least one confirmed name, we can now be sure that we won't have a batch of headliners by the start of November (not surprising, viewing that bands like Arctic Monkeys, QOTSA, Placebo, ... still have November/December gigs lined up in Belgium).

I've been said that none of the June/July festivals are going to announce bands until november/december (Wertcher, Greenfield, Nova Rock, Hurricane, Southside, Rock The Beach...) Because all of them are negociating with Rage Agaisnt The Machine and they are trying to sign them and waiting the approval for announce them once they are signed... Let's see if that's true and let's see who pay more for them and who announce them first.

I've been said that none of the June/July festivals are going to announce bands until november/december (Wertcher, Greenfield, Nova Rock, Hurricane, Southside, Rock The Beach...) Because all of them are negociating with Rage Agaisnt The Machine and they are trying to sign them and waiting the approval for announce them once they are signed... Let's see if that's true and let's see who pay more for them and who announce them first.

So when do we think we'll get the first announcement and tickets on sale?

When tickets go on sale can you get the package deals at this time?

Oh and any chance of one of the headliners being Foo's? And what bands will be likely to return next year that were on the lineup, if any!

So when do we think we'll get the first announcement and tickets on sale?

When tickets go on sale can you get the package deals at this time?

Oh and any chance of one of the headliners being Foo's? And what bands will be likely to return next year that were on the lineup, if any!

They don't pay attention to these surveys for the headliners, last year they did the survey while all of them were already booked. They only use it to get inspiration for the smaller acts.

Late December? No way. They will make sure they're all announced by the start of December, so they can get the ticket sale started way before Christmas. I'm still saying early November, possibly after the Belgian Arctic Monkeys/QOTSA gigs.

Is the Arctic Monkeys/QOTSA gig in November not sold out? Why do you think they are waiting for that gig? They could announce other bands even if AM/QOTSA are playing RW14 or not. My guess is they are waiting for an answer from a certain band or an artist....the rumor has it it's Rage Against the Machine....but who knows.