2014!

Guest Flaminglippy

It's the reason why they cracked the site open this year in my opinion , they at a crossroads 25 quid increase in ticket price or raise the capacity , if they had managed to secure one current headliner this year along the lines of example, the vaccines or the couteeners it would of sold out in may , I'm not sure it really did sell out this year I would say it was just time to pull the plug and make the claim .

Next years headliners will be summat like this......

Kids night tinie or example

Thugs night the courteeners or the vaccines

Old farts night. Suede or stereophonics

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next years headliners will be summat like this......

Kids night tinie or example

Thugs night the courteeners or the vaccines

Old farts night. Suede or stereophonics

Are these significantly bigger acts than this years?

This was my first time at KC but it would seem to me the main limitation is the size of the main arena - if you book a band that will attract many more people to the main stage, is there room for them?

Of the 3 headliners, we only saw Primal Scream - & were right at the front so hard to judge how busy it was further back - was there room for many more?

Personally the joy of festivals is as much about discovering new bands as seeing "big" names so I am not sure making it bigger would make me more likely to go again.

I'm a big fan of the courteeners but i really wouldn't book them for KC, i think the crowd they would pull would have a huge impact on the family friendly feeling of the festival.

I also feel having attended my first KC this year is that the size and the numbers are just about right, one aspect i think could be improved is perhaps have a larger second stage, the calling stage was really quite small and several times people were stood outrside trying to see in

I think the size of the festival and the size of the headliners is just right, would agree about the second stage being slightly bigger.

Kendal really has got a cracking little festival a couple of tweeks here and there is fine, expanding it too much and I think it would change the atmosphere of the festival.

Miserable git !

without the family friendly option you would alienate a percentage of the crowd, just cos your too old for your 18 to 30 holidays now no need to get on your high horse. Only a couple of years and you can blag youre way on to the over 60s trips !

Benidorm calling ?

Ive called for the courteeners to headline over the last few years but having watched the crowd reaction in March id agree they probably would attract a large rowdy crowd.

I can see the crowd increasing again next year, they played with it last year but it backfired because they were let down by others, poor toilets, not enough for kids to do, layout problems. Thats why they kept the capacity as it had been and set about trying to rectify what was wrong about it. Looking at the feedback which was mostly positive its now a balancing act of how many to increase by without comprising what they put right.

This is the article detailing the future plan from last year

http://www.cwherald.com/archive/archive/crowd-capacity-increase-is-music-to-festival-organisers%26%238217%3b-ears-20120405389911.htm

Crowd capacity increase is music to Kendal Calling ears Tuesday, 10 April 2012

CAPACITY at the Kendal Calling music festival, which takes place at Hackthorpe, near Penrith, is to be increased by 5,000 to almost 20,000.

This year’s festival from 27th to 29th July at Lowther Deer Park will have a maximum of 13,000 ticket holders, along with up to 2,000 staff and artists.

The event is now site-managed by live events company Ear to the Ground, which successfully applied to Eden Council’s licensing committee for a new premises licence which will allow for a capacity of 19,999. The increase is to be phased in over a period of three years.

Councillors were told the aim of the application was to “future proof” the event, which this year is being headlined by Dizzee Rascal, Maximo Park and James.

Kendal Calling was founded by Andy Smith, of Kendal, and Ben Robinson, of Brough. They have now set up a new company, Lakeside Creatives Limited, in which Jon Drape, production director and founder of Ear to the Ground, is a shareholder. The festival, which has taken place at its current home since 2009, is now also organised in partnership with The Warehouse Project, of Manchester.

Mr. Drape, in an address to councillors, said Ear to the Ground was a well- established events management company and he personally had 15 years of experience in the sector.

He had been brought in by the festival organisers following an accident which took place at the site during the setting up phase of the festival in 2010. That accident, which involved a crane driver being electrocuted, is the subject of a multi-million pound damages hearing which is due to take place this summer at London’s Civil Appeal Court.

The current site capacity of 14,999 was granted as a variation to the event’s 2009 premises licence in 2010. “We have no intention of suddenly increasing the capacity. One of its huge draws is that it’s a small festival and has won national awards for being the best small festival in the UK,” said Mr. Drape.

However, in order to improve the quality of services which could be expected at the event, extra revenue was required. In order for that to be achieved this year, the number of ticket holders is to increase from 10,000 to 13,000 and there has been a slight increase in ticket prices.

Licensing officer John Bell said the only change which was being applied for was an increase in capacity. The 3am finish times of the event would remain the same.

An improved traffic management plan is to be put in place following some difficulties experienced on the Friday last year, when the majority of festival-goers arrived. There will also be improved noise regulation following a complaint at Askham which was logged last year.

I can see the capacity growing next year, not to 20k tho, i think around 17k will be more likely.

I agree that for Dizzee the main stage was really busy/probably at full capacity but there was still plenty of standing space at the top bar so i cant see them changing that any time soon, specially as it doesnt get full until late afternoon.

I agree that the 2nd stage could do with getting bigger, maybe another open air stage rather than a tent? but then you run the risk of the smaller acts feeling like theres nobody watching them.

Like afew people on here have already said, there was plenty of camping space this year, more than any other time ive been in the past, which was quite nice in some ways but I can see the organisers walking round the site thinking "we could easily have got another 2-3k in here".

Only real gripe I had was that the path through the main campsite and the arena entrance didnt seen to work well as naturally people take the path of least resistance through the campsite to get to the entrance, this lead to alot of tents near the arena being damaged.

There also seemed to be alot of empty 'prime real estate' under the trees between chai wallah and the dance tent that could have been used for other things.

I also think, although a great improvement on past years, the general flow of the arena still isnt ideal with too many things hidden away slightly.

Hot Chip / Nile Rogers & Chic

Belle and Sebastian / Inspiral Carpets

Chase and Status / Joy Formidable

Could easily fit another 2k in and make Calling Out a little bigger and put Dub Pistols, DJ Yoda and Of Monsters and Men in there to headline.

So back to a hypothetical question that was asked at some point earlier this year then, what's everyone's opinions of how the festival should move forward, would you be happier to keep the festival the size it is and get similar acts to this year or would you increase capacity by 2 to 3k considering they have a licence for 20k plus on site and try to attract bigger acts with the extra ticket sales revenue ? Considering how empty the quiet and family field was there's always that option plus you never know if there's adjacent field they could use as well for tents.

Not that fussed by hot chip but I could see travis or franz playing saturday night not sure if the flaming lips could drag the crowds in on sunday night following on from the primals, james and blondie. Id be happy enough with them but the mainstream crowds would be scratching their heads at what to singalong to.

personally I think that they will go for a mix of main stream + oldie headliners like past years something along the lines of...

example/tinie temper/rudimental/professor green

vaccines/cribs/bastille

blondie/steriophonics/some old manchester indie band with sing along tunes

Like Cn says another 2k plus a tenner on the ticket shouldnt be an issue.

Not that fussed by hot chip but I could see travis or franz playing saturday night not sure if the flaming lips could drag the crowds in on sunday night following on from the primals, james and blondie. Id be happy enough with them but the mainstream crowds would be scratching their heads at what to singalong to.