The Psychedelic Music of Glastonbury

Dave The Hedgehog

King Gizzard, Goat, Toy, Gaslamp Killer Experience is a bit weird - have a listen to them.

There's a real dearth of quality rock'n'roll this year. Too much candy-ass shite like Foo Fighters, Vaccines, Peace etc.

Agreed.

I wouldn't even mind that much that the headliners and the main stage is so dominated by poppy girly dancey rubbish but they're not even giving much of a go lower down the bill.

I know times have changed from the days of yore and decent music is rare as rocking horse shit in the charts having long since been replaced by 'rudimental' and what have you but glastonbury is such a big deal that it has the power to be a taste-maker and a trendsetter, it doesn't need to do what radio 1 tells it to and lets be honest, watching some guy on doing samples on a synth just isn't as fun when all said and done*.

*Neither is being told to bounce or wave your hands in the air like you just don't care.

Edited by mattiloy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

I wouldn't even mind that much that the headliners and the main stage is so dominated by poppy girly dancey rubbish but they're not even giving much of a go lower down the bill.

I know times have changed from the days of yore and decent music is rare as rocking horse shit in the charts having long since been replaced by 'rudimental' and what have you but glastonbury is such a big deal that it has the power to be a taste-maker and a trendsetter, it doesn't need to do what radio 1 tells it to and lets be honest, watching some guy on doing samples on a synth just isn't as fun when all said and done*.

*Neither is being told to bounce or wave your hands in the air like you just don't care.

I agree for the most part. I don't mind synth, but it seems even compared to last year it's a really commercial line-up. Very Radio 1 oriented, which is a shame. They have shunted everything that isn't MOR out to the Park - not the worst thing in itself, but where are the quality bigger acts that actually have some credibility?

Catfish and the Bottlemen? Please.

gaslamp killer, he's great

I just could not get into the Gaslamp Killer record at all. Has he released anything recently?

Really enjoying Jane Weaver, worth checking out. Playing a couple of sets too

Heard a track on 6Music last night, and really enjoyed it!

Anyone know what The Zombies are like these days? Oracle & Odyssey is one of my favourite albums but that was a while back and haven't heard much of them since.

Can't wait for King Gizzard, loving 'God is in the Rhythm' if you haven't heard it already. Playing twice just in case you sleep through the first one too

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what The Zombies are like these days?

Sounded great!

Colin Bluntstone looks like a smiling maniac. In the sort of David Lee Roth way. Except Bluntstone is more likely to appear in the newspaper with "before turning the gun on himself" written somewhere under his picture.

Edited by The Nal

• 2 weeks later...

Saw King Gizzard last night in London. Small, sweaty Scala.

Fucken awesome, can't think of any other way to describe it. That groove they lay down and don't leave for the entire set, what a rhythm section!

They were awesome at both Park & Williams Green. So much so I nearly went and saw them at the Crow's Nest as well!

Sounded great!

Colin Bluntstone looks like a smiling maniac. In the sort of David Lee Roth way. Except Bluntstone is more likely to appear in the newspaper with "before turning the gun on himself" written somewhere under his picture.

really? I had to walk away

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I seem to remember this topic was a good one at turning me onto a few psych bands playing that maybe I hadn't heard of before so would have missed otherwise. 

Only recently been turned onto Night Beats despite being told apparently I saw them at Levitation festival in Austin!

What about any others?

36 minutes ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

I seem to remember this topic was a good one at turning me onto a few psych bands playing that maybe I hadn't heard of before so would have missed otherwise. 

Only recently been turned onto Night Beats despite being told apparently I saw them at Levitation festival in Austin!

What about any others?

Look no further than Ozric Tentacles on the Glade stage Saturday afternoon. Instrumental psychedelic/progressive rock music. They have a 90 minute set too, from memory.

They are one of them bands where it all blends into one of you get me so individual tracks are hard to recommend but have a go at their album Jurassic Shift. Pure class. I will be down the front with a spliff and a cider or 3 wearing a straw hat. Should be ace!

Also Tame Impala on the Pyramid Saturday sub but they are more mainstream - still elements of psychedelia though but I assume you know them.

Just now, alframsey said:

I just started a thread hoping to get some recommendations, then I saw this. I'll definitely be catching Tame Impala and White Denim who have some elements of psych rock,. I'll give that Ozric Tentacles a listen now too.

Good lad. Ozrics for the win.

35 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

Look no further than Ozric Tentacles on the Glade stage Saturday afternoon. Instrumental psychedelic/progressive rock music. They have a 90 minute set too, from memory.

They are one of them bands where it all blends into one of you get me so individual tracks are hard to recommend but have a go at their album Jurassic Shift. Pure class. I will be down the front with a spliff and a cider or 3 wearing a straw hat. Should be ace!

Also Tame Impala on the Pyramid Saturday sub but they are more mainstream - still elements of psychedelia though but I assume you know them.

I really appreciate this. I was literally searching for some Pych rock especially after no Flaming Lips added when the poster dropped today.