Nick Cave

Midnight Man

On 9/19/2018 at 2:59 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fantastic news! CAVE 2020 IT'S HAPPENING

Imagine that, the Glastonbury 50th Anniversary Festival, with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds to close on the Friday night on the Pyramid Stage.

1 Jesus Alone
2 ***new song***
3 Do You Love Me?
4 Tupelo
5 From Her to Eternity
6 I Need You
7 Into My Arms
8 The Ship Song
9 ***new song***
10 Red Right Hand
11 Jubilee Street
12 Papa Won't Leave You, Henry
13 The Mercy Seat
14 There She Goes, My Beautiful World
15 Stagger Lee

16 The Weeping Song
17 Push the Sky Away
18 O Children

Stick that up your trumpet, Mumford and Sons!

Also, flip, missed off Deanna. 

Edited by DownboundTrain52

Gonna be brutally honest here, there's a big problem where Warren Ellis & The Lads are concerned, and it's that they have a enough huge jams to fill an ocean freighter, and I've never seen them before. So if they do headline, they'll have to pull double duty. Headline both Friday and Sunday nights so they can get all the jams in.

Latest from the Red Hand Files (exciting album news, plus good dog bants):

As I write this I am sitting in a studio with Warren in California working on the new record. It‘s a strange and wonderful thing and very different from what has gone before. We are under its spell. In the meantime I have been inundated with questions. The response to The Red Hand Files has caught me completely unawares, so thank you and everyone else very much.

To answer your question - we have two family dogs. A gentle moony dog with sad eyes and cancer called Otis and a psychotic little dachshund called Nosferatu, whose one great enterprise in life is to bite me. I think it is safe to say that I love these dogs considerably more than they love me. They are devoted to my wife and guard her from me with their lives.

• Like 1

Just seen this, if we get any new music in the next year or so I'm pushing the campaign to get him to headline for 2020.

All 4 of the track on the Distant Sky EP now have accompanying videos on his youtube as well now and all well worth a watch, the Jubilee Street that went up today is a beaut.

10 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Sorry if I’ve missed anything obvious, but is there any reason why he can’t do next year? When is the new album expected to be released?

No real reason I guess, he's had Skeleton Tree for a while now. No idea when the new album is due but they're seemingly hard at work on it.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Get the new album out before next June and sub The Cure. Hadn't thought about that but fuck me that'd be perfect. Don't think it'll happen and it'd be one dead field for the last few hours of that day, but oh well.

Naw, you couldn't have the world's two foremost elder gothsmen together like that, with one ranked beneath the other. I vote a Saturday night goth slot, with The Cure for 2019, Nick for 2020, and Siouxsie or Depeche Mode or NIN or summat for 2021.

22 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Naw, you couldn't have the world's two foremost elder gothsmen together like that, with one ranked beneath the other. I vote a Saturday night goth slot, with The Cure for 2019, Nick for 2020, and Siouxsie or Depeche Mode or NIN or summat for 2021.

On board 

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They haven’t even finished the Skeleton Tree tour yet. Don’t see serious work having gone into a new album (if it’s not a separate soundtrack) for release in 2019.

He's written recently in The Red Hand Files that he and Ellis have started work on it so make of that what you will (couple of pages back). Sorry to hear you didn't succeed by the way, am around to help in resales if anyone needs it.

I see Cave for 2020. Ideally as headliner but will take sub.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On board 

He's written recently in The Red Hand Files that he and Ellis have started work on it so make of that what you will (couple of pages back). Sorry to hear you didn't succeed by the way, am around to help in resales if anyone needs it.

I see Cave for 2020. Ideally as headliner but will take sub.

Thanks. Glad to hear you did! I don’t feel at all affected by it yet; still feel like I’m gonna be there by hook or by crook.

I saw about the Red Hand Files but  given the extensive touring, I can’t see the work having started in earnest yet. It is just Nick and Warren in the studio after all. And the tour will likely start a little bit after the album as well so I would imagine the tour kicking off in 2020 either way.

I am hoping there’s another successful arena tour and maybe Hyde Park in 2020 to set up the Glastonbury headline berth in 2021. Going straight in for a sub slot at Glastonbury at the start of the tour seems like a spurned opportunity to me.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Thanks. Glad to hear you did! I don’t feel at all affected by it yet; still feel like I’m gonna be there by hook or by crook.

I saw about the Red Hand Files but  given the extensive touring, I can’t see the work having started in earnest yet. It is just Nick and Warren in the studio after all. And the tour will likely start a little bit after the album as well so I would imagine the tour kicking off in 2020 either way.

I am hoping there’s another successful arena tour and maybe Hyde Park in 2020 to set up the Glastonbury headline berth in 2021. Going straight in for a sub slot at Glastonbury at the start of the tour seems like a spurned opportunity to me.

Yeah you'll get there no worries :)

I've been hoping to see him since I got into him when I was in sixth form about 5 years ago now (bloody hell), but he's never really come near enough or I've not had anyone to go with. My first Glastonbury was 2014 and obviously he hasn't turned up since. I missed out in the ticket sale yesterday so you can guarantee he'll be playing now..

• 4 weeks later...

C'mon gang, he'll never headline if we let this thread fall to page 7 all the time.

He was recently asked about Grinderman and whether they'll reform, I'd like that. They could sub him on the pyramid. Humorous Greatest Hits comment to round it off as well

“Many of you have asked about the reformation of Grinderman, although most not with the same lurid flair as you, so I sat with Warren [Ellis, bandmate] and we discussed whether it was a good idea,” replied Cave. “We both thought the world needed Grinderman, considering its current emotional climate.

“Warren wanted to wait until Trump got re-elected, in the hope he would invite us to play ‘No Pussy Blues’ at the presidential celebrations. I’m not sure if he was joking or not. I personally felt there was no urgency, and that the older we got, the better Grinderman would be – the more deranged, the more priapic, and the more morally dubious.”

He continued: “We both thought that Grinderman appeared to be a lot more popular now than when it existed, and we wondered whether that was simply the band passing into folklore, or whether the world had become, in the last years, more puritanical, less playful, and more hypersensitive, and that there were a lot of people out there, like you Marvin, who just wanted to listen to a band that fucked things up a bit.”

Cave added: “We both thought releasing a Best of Grinderman record was a good idea. We thought it should be a double album.”

20 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Cave added: “We both thought releasing a Best of Grinderman record was a good idea. We thought it should be a double album.”

Ha! :D

Saw Grinderman at The Garage *checks google* 8 years ago and they were ace! They do need to come back again.

Edited by cdm22

saw them this past Friday in Brooklyn and it slipped straight into 'gig of 2018 so far' spot for me. Incredible. Only my 3rd time - I admit I've become a fan only in the past decade, had for some reason been a bit meh about him previously - and had only caught his '09 and '13 Glastonbury sets previously. They took the risky step of booking a big US arena for a few select cities, and while they did have to curtain off the entire back upper deck, they still managed to pull a somewhat decent crowd

• 1 month later...

Red Hand Files today is my favourite so far. Genius stuff.

In response to Elettra of Berlin (Issue #8), you said you'd "freak the fuck out" if the world were about to end in 72 hours. Great answer. But would that be for the whole 72 hours? 

JAMES, SKIPTON, ENGLAND

Dear James,

Okay, good point. First off, I would investigate the person who was making the claim to see if they were a reliable source of information and not some lunatic on the street with a cardboard sign. If the person making the claim seemed credible, I would look at the reason why the world was going to end. If it was scientific in nature such as an impact event with an asteroid (which would make sense since we had been given 72 hours notice), rather than say, a random nuclear attack (where we would be given no such warning), or AI undermining us to the point of non-existence, or over-population, or all humans losing the will to live at the same time (a distinct possibility), or a catastrophic fungal pandemic, or extreme weather (all of which would happen incrementally, not in exactly 72 hours) then I would go to the appropriate channels and check out the science.

If there was a consensus among scientists, who, after all, are in the business of knowing stuff - stuff like, for example, climate change, the mother of all apocalyptic fears, where 97%of scientists ascribe the cause to humankind - I would probably take their word for it and not be so negligent as to deny their projection.

I would then proceed to do everything I could to stop it. I would make a call to my friend Bono. If even Bono couldnt stop it, and there was simply no hope - with annihilation absolutely and unambiguously inevitable - I would gather my family together, hold them tightly and speak some comforting words. I would take their hands and pray quietly for a moment, because collective prayer can have a calming effect, and I would pray to the possibility of a god, and that the afterlife was a Christian one (where my family and I may have a slim chance of getting in) and not a Muslim one (where we wouldn’t) or a Hindu one (where we may all come back as cockroaches) or a Jewish one (which, as far as I can make out, is pretty much bad news for everyone).

I would ring my mother. I would pet the dogs. I would then turn to my wife, look into her lovely eyes, push a strand of hair from her face and quietly tell her that I loved her, have always loved her and would continue to love her till the end of the world. Then, and only then, would I, with great force of meaning and extreme prejudice, freak the fuck out.

Love, Nick

• Like 1