Nick Cave

Midnight Man

16 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Hi Quark,

I may be a little late with this but start with the Lovely Creatures best of album and the just take it from there. Take a track that you like and then check out that album and so on, it will be a great journey.

Yup, made a start on that and seeing how we go!

21 hours ago, russycarps said:

Sensational gig. Proof indeed that not only could they headline Glastonbury, but they'd also be one of the greatest headliners of all time. 

While the duet with Kylie was the low point musically for me, it was a masterstroke from a marketing perspective. The gig is being reviewed all over the mainstream media, even in rags like the sun. If she hadnt been there the gig would have passed with barely a murmer I bet. I hope they now keep up the momentum and announce a few more big dates and then headlining glastonbury will be a formality. 

Seeing them play loverman was a huge moment for me, as it was the song that got me into the band. At glastonbury in 1994 I'd never even heard of nick cave and had no real clue about music. I was only really into rave music back then but that song and the rest of the set changed everything for me. 

Of course there are loads of songs I wish they'd played but that's always the case when you have a back catalogue like that. Would have liked to see higgs boson blues and skeleton tree. That was so joyous at the o2. 

What a day! 

I may have to screenshot this - a happy Russy :)

Really don't think he's got the tunes to carry a Pyramid headline spec folks - irrespective of whatever gothy theatrics/unusual percussion he can conjure. West Holts on the other hand would be perfect for him.

Loved Jubilee St. have to say the other night. Had a sultry groove. Chewn of the night by a mile. Stagger Lee outstays its welcome as ever however. A panto dirge.

4 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Really don't think he's got the tunes to carry a Pyramid headline spec folks - irrespective of whatever gothy theatrics/unusual percussion he can conjure. West Holts on the other hand would be perfect for him.

Loved Jubilee St. have to say the other night. Had a sultry groove. Chewn of the night by a mile. Stagger Lee outstays its welcome as ever however. A panto dirge.

Jubilee Street is the best song I've ever seen live I reckon. Thought the same both times I've seen him.

Cave on West Holts, though? Surely not a fit at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I realise I'm late to the party but I only started posting again yesterday, the Vicky Park gig was fucking brilliant. We were right next to the photo pit stage right where Cave popped up during Deanna. Was a fantastic gig. And Patti Smith was also brilliant as per.

I also loved the kid on stage at the end that tried to grab Nick for a selfie and Nick just pushed him away and nearly knocked the phone out of his hand! 

I'm now on 3 Nick Cave shows and can't wait til they tour again. The Bad Seeds were on superb form and are so good live.

Anyone who says they couldn't headline at Glasto is an idiot. They wouldn't book them, but if they did it'd be fucking brilliant. Other headliner would work better though.

Needs to refresh his set a bit I think. Was the same at Primavera as at Manchester on the Arena tour last year. Why does he still play one of his weaker tunes - Red Right Hand? And everything off Push the Sky Away needs dropping. 

From Her to Eternity was a triumph though. And it's cool that at 60 years old he's risen to arena level. 

29 minutes ago, Declan said:

Needs to refresh his set a bit I think. Was the same at Primavera as at Manchester on the Arena tour last year. Why does he still play one of his weaker tunes - Red Right Hand? And everything off Push the Sky Away needs dropping. 

From Her to Eternity was a triumph though. And it's cool that at 60 years old he's risen to arena level. 

Drop Jubilee Street? Bold shout.

Definitely time to ditch Red Right Hand, although I can see why they keep it in a festival set as kind of one of the "greatest hits", as far as they have them. But the PTSA numbers are some of the strongest and best in the live set currently. Higgs Boson, Jubilee Street and Push The Sky Away all highlights for me when played.

50 minutes ago, Declan said:

This is still the skeleton tree tour so it's to be expected that it's similar to last year's gigs. At least they've added loverman, do you love me and come in to my arms since then.

Jubilee street is one of the best things they've ever done. I reckon you're the only person on the planet demanding that gets dropped.

Red right hand is here to stay I suspect, given that it's probably what's brought a lot of new fans to them due to that crappy telly program.

I'd like to see stagger lee dropped, but that feels undroppable now too. Into my arms can also do one, they've got loads of better ballads than that. But now it's turned into a singlong it looks like that's here to stay as well... Oh well.

Edited by russycarps

6 hours ago, mungo57 said:

Anyone who says they couldn't headline at Glasto is an idiot. They wouldn't book them, but if they did it'd be fucking brilliant. Other headliner would work better though.

But that's what people mean when they say they couldn't headline.

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Jubilee Street the highlight by far both times I've seen them. Higgs Boson Blues also shouldn't be dropped. Don't care about Push the Sky Away, though.

14 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

But that's what people mean when they say they couldn't headline.

Jubilee Street the highlight by far both times I've seen them. Higgs Boson Blues also shouldn't be dropped. Don't care about Push the Sky Away, though.

I see what you mean......

I'll agree, the highlight for me at Vicky Park was probably Jubilee Street or Loverman. Kylie was a nice touch as its only happened a few times and at least I can say I've seen it, but as Russy said in an earlier post, probably the weakest moment musically throughout the show.

I reckon they get more and more likely to be booked with every headline set they put in at the european festivals this summer. The reviews are nothing short of stellar. These are not small festivals either.

Why would glastonbury not want to book an act who is being reported as currently the best live act in the world? Not just in the music press but in the mainstream media too. It makes no sense at all. 

Imagine booking a badly past it has-been like madonna over an icon at the top of their game? Would be utter lunacy (obviously there are 3 headliners so it's not an either-or situation, but the point stands).

Edited by russycarps
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Imagine booking a badly past it has-been like madonna over an icon at the top of their game? Would be utter lunacy (obviously there are 3 headliners so it's not an either-or situation, but the point stands).

Have you not forgotten the warm reception the 2017 Glasto crowd gave to Ed Sheeran versus how many people complained about Radiohead being "fucking miserable"? Michael and Emily Eavis' job isn't primarily to pick the best live bands in the world (though critical acclaim does have an effect), these days it's to keep the modern Glastonbury crowd happy as well as to put acts on which will make people watching at home want to buy tickets the following year.

As much as I dearly love Nick Cave, much of the latter day Glasto idiots would not take to him. 

10 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

As much as I dearly love Nick Cave, much of the latter day Glasto idiots would not take to him. 

At a push I'd guess 50% of the crowd would be in to it, 10% wouldn't have a clue what was going on and the other 40% would stand around chatting amongst themselves waiting for "that one off Peaky Blinders".

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Following the adulation I've seen him get on here i'm going to give the music a go.

Where should I start? It would feel like i'd cheated if i went straight for the "essentials" or "greatest hits"

I don't think there's any shame in starting with Lovely Creatures, it's a decent run through his career. Hard to suggest a jumping off point as he zips about a bit, people have make lists on this thread every 2/3 pages so maybe scroll back and see how they got on.

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

I reckon they get more and more likely to be booked with every headline set they put in at the european festivals this summer. The reviews are nothing short of stellar. These are not small festivals either.

Why would glastonbury not want to book an act who is being reported as currently the best live act in the world? Not just in the music press but in the mainstream media too. It makes no sense at all. 

What he said... although I probably would watch Madonna and enjoy it.

Can we all just agree that Cave is playing, though? We can argue the specifics later but they're going to be there (but only if I am).