Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Just now, Quark said:

:D

OK, so between you and @russycarps give me 3 Cave albums to go for as a complete novice.  Assuming our campaign gathers momentum and succeeds I should really be there to watch next year! :lol:

Well my three current favourites are Skeleton Tree, Tender Prey and No More Shall We Part, which would actually give you a decent spread of the back catalogue. Push The Sky Away is also a masterwork. 

Most *accessible* albums to my mind are probably The Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues, The Boatman's Call and Dig! Lazarus! Dig!

I'd start with a best of, though, in all honesty. The recent one probably has a decent spread. 

• Like 1

Headlining elsewhere, would absolutely smash it here. Still can't get over how amazing he was last September, something I never thought I'd get from an arena show again. 

Glad there's a corner here that agree, it'd be shot down in seconds in the Headliners thread.

4 hours ago, Quark said:

If you've not been in the headliners thread I'd spare yourself.  It'll just make you Russy-levels of annoyed.  Nothing exciting TBH.

I'm not really a Cave fan, simply because I've never made the effort to get into his stuff (which I keep meaning to remedy) but I'd be happy to see him headline.  But even if Emily's a fan and APE has sold out, which clearly shows popularity, do you think he's a big enough "name" to headline? He doesn't fit in the current zeitgeist popularity bracket (Sheeran, Adele, Kamye, Beyonce), isn't one of the safe pair of hands crew (Coldplay, Muse) and isn't a big name legend status (Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, The Who, Metallica).

The closest  I can think of from recent memory who'd sit in that category of artists with a solid fanbase and a decent amount of credibility, but not a household name as such, would be Arcade Fire.  I  missed '14, but from everything I've heard the reaction to AF as a result was just a bit....meh

I enjoyed arcade fire but it's true to say they didnt make much of an impression on the non-fans. Cave and the boys are much much better in every regard though - both musically and as live performers - so there is no doubt they'd win over the people who didnt know about them beforehand.

As for 3 albums, 

tender prey

let love in

push the sky away

Might be a good way to start I reckon. But every single one is ace.

• Like 1

Fucking great gig, couldn't fault the Bad Seeds in any way - they were flawless and Nick was on great form. I had trouble finding a good spot in the crowd though, lots of talkers and I can't really handle/be arsed waiting down the front for ages these days so further back you lost a bit of the atmosphere. Setlist was okay, would have preferred more Skeleton Tree although I guess they were going for crowd pleasing stuff (like the Kylie appearance, which was great). Some odd choices though - Loverman and Do You Love Me (neither big faves with me), Come Into My Sleep was great but a really odd choice for a festival crowd. I missed Tupelo, The Mercy Seat and I Need You. Epic version of From Her To Eternity, possibly the best I've seen. And probably the most shambolic Stagger Lee I've seen as far as Cave was concerned - he had Billy Dilly being shot two or three times before his missus came in... band sounded great though obviously. Oh and Jubilee street and Push the sky Away were both clear highlights. Top of their game still. 

Great day all in all too, Patti, Nadine, Courtney all great... had some great katsu curry and the halloumi fries, bar and toilet queues weren't too bad if you went to the right ones, smuggled rum in with ease. Ballache to get home from as ever. But would definitely consider going back.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

How did the new material sound live?

Yeah I thought it sounded pretty good, although I must admit that I haven't had a chance to listen to the new album yet on record so it was all pretty new to me. Old stuff therefore a highlight. She drew a really big crowd, my only gripe is that the sound wasn't so good for her set as it was for Cave and Patti.

Was laughing through Stagger Lee - he was all over the place with the lyrics, but it was still bloody brilliant; Billy Dilly still got fucked in his motherfucking ass. No Mercy Seat / Tupelo? First time I've seen them without hearing those, and they're unbeatable live tunes.

Still - absolutely brilliant gig.

4 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Was laughing through Stagger Lee - he was all over the place with the lyrics, but it was still bloody brilliant; Billy Dilly still got fucked in his motherfucking ass. No Mercy Seat / Tupelo? First time I've seen them without hearing those, and they're unbeatable live tunes.

Still - absolutely brilliant gig.

Yeah I was pissing myself laughing during Stagger Lee- odd experience st a Cave gig but still brilliant.

Btw I think the 'he sold out the venue when other nights didn't' may be a red herring - on the way out, the crowd was a lot smaller than the previous night for the national. way less bottlenecks etc. had to queue for 10 mins at the gates outside the crown on saturday, but went straight though after the bad seeds. were the crowd numbers reduced or was it just better management?

I actually think a lot of people left early to try to beat the rush. I wasn't there the night before so can't compare but trains ran later on Saturday so maybe no one left early? Younger fanbase too perhaps. We still got held for ages on that big road up to Mile End and it took bloody ages to get to the station.