Nick Cave

Midnight Man

19 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Can't argue with the top two but other than that........

How is skeleton tree so far down? And how is anything below nocturama

I dunno. The high placement of dig lazarus also baffled me.

I think they are trying to look clever with the birthday party placements. I mean they are pretty fun albums but come on...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2017-4-24 at 4:38 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Finally re-watched it the other night. Thought that as I knew what was coming it wouldn't get to me as much. How wrong was I? Blubbing like a girl within 15 minutes. 

Some of the 3d shots were sublime. One of the best uses of 3d I've seen. Which is a bit damning with faint praise I suppose but it's beautiful in parts. 

I actually don't know if I could watch it again. I'd like to but it was pretty harrowing first time around. Beautiful though.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

I meant to post this the other day. I feel really gutted he'll be moving to LA. I always liked the fact he lived in Brighton. Felt like he was one of us or something. Quite a strange thing to think really, considering he's an aussie.

I understand the reasoning behind the move though, of course.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-love-and-terror-of-nick-cave

After a while we break and head out for some lunch from a café around the corner. Cave has lived in Brighton for 15 years, and he says that it has been a wonderful place to be, but this period of his life is drawing to a close. “Mostly, we just find it too difficult to live here,” he says. The plan is to move to Los Angeles. The family spent some time there last year, and it felt like the kind of blank slate they need.

“I don't know how to say this really,” he says. “Everyone here has just been so great, and that's in a way half the problem. When I go out in Brighton these days, there's a sort of feeling that we're all in this together. And it's just a little bit too intense for me. It's too many memories, really. We've really tried. But it's just beyond us, in a way, to remain.”

31 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I meant to post this the other day. I feel really gutted he'll be moving to LA. I always liked the fact he lived in Brighton. Felt like he was one of us or something. Quite a strange thing to think really, considering he's an aussie.

I understand the reasoning behind the move though, of course.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-love-and-terror-of-nick-cave

After a while we break and head out for some lunch from a café around the corner. Cave has lived in Brighton for 15 years, and he says that it has been a wonderful place to be, but this period of his life is drawing to a close. “Mostly, we just find it too difficult to live here,” he says. The plan is to move to Los Angeles. The family spent some time there last year, and it felt like the kind of blank slate they need.

“I don't know how to say this really,” he says. “Everyone here has just been so great, and that's in a way half the problem. When I go out in Brighton these days, there's a sort of feeling that we're all in this together. And it's just a little bit too intense for me. It's too many memories, really. We've really tried. But it's just beyond us, in a way, to remain.”

Thanks for posting - that's a really great interview. Loved all the detail about Gladiator 2! Also some interesting insights to his performance style.

As said, it's sad that he's moving but understandable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
50 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Says on a couple of the UK tour venue sites that there's no support (and I guess that's the same throughout Europe) if anyone was wondering.

Ah good to know. I'm kind of hoping this will be an early in, early out type gig for the purely selfish reason that I have to be at the airport for about 7am the next day... Doors for the O2 are 6:30 so it could conceivably be  a 10:30 curfew easily then, still having a nice long gig.

It's exciting isn't it? I feel a bit nervous about seeing them in such a huge venue and also wondering how the new stuff will go down. 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah good to know. I'm kind of hoping this will be an early in, early out type gig for the purely selfish reason that I have to be at the airport for about 7am the next day... Doors for the O2 are 6:30 so it could conceivably be  a 10:30 curfew easily then, still having a nice long gig.

It's exciting isn't it? I feel a bit nervous about seeing them in such a huge venue and also wondering how the new stuff will go down. 

Yeah, I should think it'll all meld quite well. His U.S. tour setlists look phenomenal! I suppose that's an upshot of the album being so strong throughout. I bet it'll still feel fairly intimate when the lights are down and Nick's up there pouring his heart out.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, I should think it'll all meld quite well. His U.S. tour setlists look phenomenal! I suppose that's an upshot of the album being so strong throughout. I bet it'll still feel fairly intimate when the lights are down and Nick's up there pouring his heart out.

Yeah, hope so. I'm really looking forward to it. Feels like far too long. 

This has just reminded me its only a month till the Bournemouth Gig.

After seeing bands for over 40 years i very rarely get those giddy, excitable feelings that i remember from my youth and normally just casually turn up and enjoy the show, however i have managed somehow not to have seen Nick live since the Birthday Party days and just typing this is causing a little flutter in the belly in anticipation.

3 minutes ago, tjamest said:

This has just reminded me its only a month till the Bournemouth Gig.

After seeing bands for over 40 years i very rarely get those giddy, excitable feelings that i remember from my youth and normally just casually turn up and enjoy the show, however i have managed somehow not to have seen Nick live since the Birthday Party days and just typing this is causing a little flutter in the belly in anticipation.

Man are you in for a treat. I'm jealous.

• 2 weeks later...

Reinhard Kleist's graphic biography Nick Cave Mercy On Me came out last week. I saw it in the shop and picked it up, only read a little bit on the train home so far but it seems fucking brilliant. The quality of the cartooning work is fantastic, really good to see work like this, sets it so far apart from the endless tired stream of books and films about rock stars. I'll post again when I've finished it, but my first impressions are really positive.

14 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Reinhard Kleist's graphic biography Nick Cave Mercy On Me came out last week. I saw it in the shop and picked it up, only read a little bit on the train home so far but it seems fucking brilliant. The quality of the cartooning work is fantastic, really good to see work like this, sets it so far apart from the endless tired stream of books and films about rock stars. I'll post again when I've finished it, but my first impressions are really positive.

This sounds ace. I hadn't heard of it so thanks for the recommendation! Not long now folks...