Nick Cave

Midnight Man

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray!!! Was thinking I'd have to make a new one.

2 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

...and we're back!

So, no doubt it's been discussed on other threads whilst this one was deleted, but what did you think to the new film?

The section where Nick describes Warren's creative process had me and the audience howling.

We've discussed already but it was bloody beautiful. Marianne Faithfull's bit got some laughs too (Woz?!) as did Warren's laptop. Was a real treat to sit in the cinema and let the beautiful music and cinematography wash over you.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Marianne Faithfull's bit got some laughs too (Woz?!) as did Warren's laptop.

Ha, I'd forgotten Warren's filing system, that was just plain ridiculous (and entirely believable).

I thought Marianne F was an all round good egg letting that footage be shown.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:41 PM, Kurosagi said:

Not great news is it.

Will make watching the film this week a bit strange.

I felt the same, but thought the film absolutely beautiful.  I loved the 'Carnage' album anyway, but seeing the songs performed live really added another dimension. 

The film illustrates how much Nick has thought about grief already, particularly when he is reading bits from his 'Red Hand Files' writings. I feel it might help him cope this time around.

24 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

The film illustrates how much Nick has thought about grief already, particularly when he is reading bits from his 'Red Hand Files' writings. I feel it might help him cope this time around.

It's less than a week and I've already forgotten so much including this bit. The RHF has transformed Nick into national treasure status I think. The fact that in this fast paced world he takes time out to mull and think and consider before replying is a real virtue.

How many questions did he say he currently has? 30k? That's a lot to dip into!

• Upvote 1

Wow, it's back. Thanks! 

I didn't go see the film due to clashes, I saw them in Bradford for the Carnage tour, phenomenal performances, delightfully overpriced teatowels 😍, what's not to like? Any news on this coming out on DVD? 

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

It's less than a week and I've already forgotten so much including this bit. The RHF has transformed Nick into national treasure status I think. The fact that in this fast paced world he takes time out to mull and think and consider before replying is a real virtue.

How many questions did he say he currently has? 30k? That's a lot to dip into!

Yes I loved this bit. He's not replied to mine yet...

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

I thought she was very rude. Treated that makeup artist with a complete lack of respect.

Film great though.

I didn't think so at all, ha! Woman nearly died and was just being a diva in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Are you able to give us a sneak preview?

I've not been able to think of a question yet, I think he'll have 100k+ in his inbox by the time I get round to it.

Honestly it was a while back so can't fully remember it. Something about grief and healing as I've had a fair amount of my own in the past few years. I wrote it the day after the Carnage gig and that was two weeks after my mum's funeral so was probably all a bit heavy! 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Honestly it was a while back so can't fully remember it. Something about grief and healing as I've had a fair amount of my own in the past few years. I wrote it the day after the Carnage gig and that was two weeks after my mum's funeral so was probably all a bit heavy!

Sorry to hear that, I can see how Nick working through his own grief has really hit a chord with so many going through similar events in their own lives, he's like a calming buddha full of compassion and humanity.

A friend of mine wrote a book recently about the science behind trauma resilience and got permission from Nick to use a quote of his from the One More Time With Feeling film which really resonated with her, it was about the elasticity of time (sorry, can't remember the exact quote). She was disappointed that she couldn't get to meet him back stage after the Carnage gig, but kudos to her for trying!

Found it in an interview he did:

Mostly, Cave and his wife, Susie Bick, who also appears in the film, talk around Arthur rather than about him: It seems they’re balanced on a thread between heightened awareness and permanent numbness. Cave speaks somberly about his inability to think, let alone talk, about the days around the time Arthur died. “Time is elastic,” he says, “We can go away from the event but at some point the elastic snaps back and we always come back to it.” At one point Dominik’s lens scrutinizes Cave’s face, currently that of a tired, ancient boy, as if he were showing it to us for the first time. In fact, it’s as if Cave is seeing it for the first time. “What happened to my face?” he says. “Look at these bags under my eyes. Where did they come from? They weren’t here last year.”

4 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Sorry to hear that, I can see how Nick working through his own grief has really hit a chord with so many going through similar events in their own lives, he's like a calming buddha full of compassion and humanity.

A friend of mine wrote a book recently about the science behind trauma resilience and got permission from Nick to use a quote of his from the One More Time With Feeling film which really resonated with her, it was about the elasticity of time (sorry, can't remember the exact quote). She was disappointed that she couldn't get to meet him back stage after the Carnage gig, but kudos to her for trying!

Thank you!

That's amazing. Weirdly that elasticity of time quote is the one that has really stuck in my head from One More Time With Feeling. I've been thinking about watching again now that I've been bereaved a couple of times but it affected me a lot even before that. It's a beautiful film.