Nick Cave

Midnight Man

11 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Showfilmfirst. It's some site you sign up on and they have cheap tickets for concerts, cinema, plays, etc. Normally its for crap events but every now and then you get a gem

I’ve got tickets for Simon Amstell’s tour next week through SFF. 

Went to the Cardiff show last weekend, last minute decision based on me looking at spotting a front row ticket had appeared on the venue site. Such a great show that they put on. The Ghosteen and Carnage material was really well suited to these size venues, and great to hear a couple of the "hits" (for want of a better term) too. No spoilers because there's still a few dates to go, but may come back and post more once the UK run is over.

2021-09-26 21.02.36.jpg

• Upvote 1

I confess to not having read all 169 pages of the thread, so apologies if it's already been mentioned. I've just finished reading Warren Ellis' book about turning Nina Simone's chewing gum into a religious icon. It's fantastically warm and quirky, just like the wonderful bloke himself. Anyway, he mentions about Nick playing Glasto in 2013 and I had no idea that he was injured when he was strutting his stuff belting out Stagger Lee to the young Mumford-ettes in the front!

Warren Ellis.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I confess to not having read all 169 pages of the thread, so apologies if it's already been mentioned. I've just finished reading Warren Ellis' book about turning Nina Simone's chewing gum into a religious icon. It's fantastically warm and quirky, just like the wonderful bloke himself. Anyway, he mentions about Nick playing Glasto in 2013 and I had no idea that he was injured when he was strutting his stuff belting out Stagger Lee to the young Mumford-ettes in the front!

Warren Ellis.jpg

Bloody hell! I've bought it but not read it yet. I'm glad it's good.

Really looking forward to the gig tomorrow. Starting to think booking a ticket to sit alone in the front row while in an undeniably fragile state may have been a bit of an error, but it will be glorious. Just pity the fools who sit next to my sobbing mess of a being.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Really looking forward to the gig tomorrow. Starting to think booking a ticket to sit alone in the front row while in an undeniably fragile state may have been a bit of an error, but it will be glorious. Just pity the fools who sit next to my sobbing mess of a being.

Front row, jeez, how fabulous! So glad that they've managed to avoid catching the dreaded lurgy. Nick was clearly questioning whether they'd make it through the tour in his first night banter. Seems like a whole world ago. Have a great gig, look forward to hearing about it.

7 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Front row, jeez, how fabulous! So glad that they've managed to avoid catching the dreaded lurgy. Nick was clearly questioning whether they'd make it through the tour in his first night banter. Seems like a whole world ago. Have a great gig, look forward to hearing about it.

I know, it was a bit extra of me but I figured if I'm paying £80 for a halfway decent ticket I may as well pay £100! It's been a shit couple of years so it's my treat to make up for it. Should be amazing.

I went to the Glasgow gig on Monday and it was brilliant, I’ve been to a couple of gigs since things have opened up but that was was the first one that’s felt properly special. I originally wasn’t going to go, the price put me off a bit but when I looked a couple of weeks ago I saw a load of tickets priced at around £40 that I’m certain were much more than that when they first went on sale. Ended up with a great seat on the first tier pretty much bang in the middle. The setlist worked really well for that setting and it was great seeing Nick in a theatre, the only times I’ve seen him previously were in an arena and headlining Primavera, so this felt very intimate in comparison.

Jesus Christ I needed that so bad. Royal Albert Hall tonight, not sure if it's still necessary to say spoilers follow as think it was last night of the UK tour at least but for the benefit of international readers: spoilers follow!

I was in the front row and didn't realise quite how close and intense that would be. So intimate and so huge at the same time, which is what Cave always does best. It was profoundly emotional and moving and healing and everything about live music that I've missed so much. Warren was wonderful. The singers were wonderful. Just awe inspiring stuff. Can't wait to see them again. And while Ghosteen didn't really click as much as other albums on record the live versions are something else. I was in a kind of trance for much of that. And then the Carnage songs were so good. Hand of God, Shattered Ground, Balcony Man, White Elephant FUCK 

And some beautiful oldies too. So good.

• Like 2

That was incredible, had ruined any surprises but the versions of the Ghosteen were great, both on good form and I Need You almost finished me. 

was sat in the choir and had one of the big lights right in front of where his standing mic was so wish I’d have paid the big money in a way but still quite close to his piano, so can’t complain too much.

Can’t wait for Primavera and wherever they play in the UK next summer now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mynameismatt said:

That was incredible, had ruined any surprises but the versions of the Ghosteen were great, both on good form and I Need You almost finished me. 

was sat in the choir and had one of the big lights right in front of where his standing mic was so wish I’d have paid the big money in a way but still quite close to his piano, so can’t complain too much.

Can’t wait for Primavera and wherever they play in the UK next summer now.

If it makes you feel any better I was in the front row and couldn't really see Nick when he was behind the piano! Not a complaint though, you just probably saw different stuff to me. I couldn't have been happier with where I sat. Bagged a setlist too.

I came out of that gig thinking "I need to see them again" and completely forgot i had tickets for Primavera so that is a joy to remember!

I Need You was so awesome. I was in tears for a big chunk of the middle but managed to keep it quite dignified I think. That was definitely an emotional moment, though. I love that song so much.

Do you think they will play much Carnage stuff with the full Bad Seeds?