Nick Cave

Midnight Man

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I can't remember when it was announced, but these tickets are already rescheduled from May this year. So probably like end of 2019? He has played O2 arena before, dunno about the others.

Just had a sleuth and it was mid October that it was announced, so a couple of months with the added opportunity for tickets as Christmas gifts in there before everything stopped for COVID. 

Not sure how well his Skeleton Tree tour sold in the same timeframe but I’m pretty sure it was much better (albeit with much more reasonable £40 tickets)

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Just had a sleuth and it was mid October that it was announced, so a couple of months with the added opportunity for tickets as Christmas gifts in there before everything stopped for COVID. 

Not sure how well his Skeleton Tree tour sold in the same timeframe but I’m pretty sure it was much better (albeit with much more reasonable £40 tickets)

Could be. I have no idea how to know how well it's selling really, but I think Skeleton Tree tour sold out? Not sure though, I'm always one of the first to buy. It might not have sold out until a week or two before. 

While it’s the smallest venue on the tour Cardiff had sold out I believe which is still a fair few thousand. I imagine the other venues were doing well enough to not warrant cancellation.

Edit: I haven’t looked how well it was selling in Europe but he’s cancelled that too, it’s obviously down to corona

Edited by Mouseboy11

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I’m sure COVID had something to do with it, I do wonder if it’s also a convenient excuse to cancel considering it looked like this was selling pretty poorly all around. I delayed getting a ticket over and over because Manchester standing still hadn’t sold out right up until the cancellation. Seems interest may have waned a little in the past couple of years between Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen, probably not helped by Ghosteen being even more downbeat after an already very downbeat album. 

While I'm a founder member of the "Nick Cave isn't nearly as big as half of efests likes to pretend" club, I think calling it an excuse is a bit harsh.

The decision will have almost certainly been taken on a risk/reward basis, and while ticket sales have to be a factor in that, they won't be the only one (and it's quite possible some aren't even financial). Whether this decision would have been taken if all shows were sold out is anyones guess.

From the man himself:

What the fuuuuuuuuuck????? Cancelled tour noooooo.
CHLOE, LONDON, UK

Dear Chloe and all who have written to me today,

When the pandemic first hit and we had to postpone the European tour I was given the opportunity to take stock, and to see what I actually wanted to do with my life. Well, I took stock. I took a years stock. I came to the conclusion that what I most wanted to do in life was to play live. I truly miss it. Cancelling the tour is a great disappointment to me, and to the rest of the band. We tried to make it work but, in the end, with so many things about 2021 remaining unpredictable, including no certainty on whether we would be able to deliver the large scale arena show that we wanted to — and in the way that we wanted to — we felt we had to make the decision to cancel, at least for now. I try to keep The Red Hand Files as measured as possible, as a matter of principle, but whichever way you look at it, this sucks.

Time to make a record.

Speak to you all again in the New Year.

Much love, Nick

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Could be. I have no idea how to know how well it's selling really, but I think Skeleton Tree tour sold out? Not sure though, I'm always one of the first to buy. It might not have sold out until a week or two before. 

Skeleton Tree tour sold out pretty quickly, but it was 25% smaller than this tour. This one wasn't sold out but there wasn't anything to say it was selling poorly, as far as I'm aware.

I'm not sure what tours are still in the near-future but I can see some of the major ones going the same way as this. Sold out ones, too. Billie Eilish just did the same thing in the US.

Good news about him working on a new album though. Ghosteen was a snoozer and I wasn't really bothered about any songs on that appearing in the upcoming tour.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I’m sure COVID had something to do with it, I do wonder if it’s also a convenient excuse to cancel considering it looked like this was selling pretty poorly all around. I delayed getting a ticket over and over because Manchester standing still hadn’t sold out right up until the cancellation. Seems interest may have waned a little in the past couple of years between Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen, probably not helped by Ghosteen being even more downbeat after an already very downbeat album. 

Surprised to hear this. Maybe it's only struggling in the UK? In Belgium their arena show sold out instantly. It was literally a ticket rush. (An arena the likes of The Killers, RHCP, QOTSA,... didn't even manage to sell out).

Wonder why he's not that popular in the UK then. 

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I never hear anyone talking about him outside this forum. Most people I know have literally never heard of him.

When he came on with Kylie I’m pretty sure most people didn’t know who he was.

Have to disagree. I was wearing a Nick Cave t-shirt that day and lost count of the number of times I was stopped and asked "did you see him with Kylie?"

The answer was No, I was at Fat White Family but I did see them the year before at APE which was the right way round.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Because in general, British people have shit taste in pretty much everything.

C'mon, that's not true when it comes to music. The only country that supports touring acts to the same level the UK does is the USA

Edited by Chawk

53 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I never hear anyone talking about him outside this forum. Most people I know have literally never heard of him.

When he came on with Kylie I’m pretty sure most people didn’t know who he was.

Hardly anyone? Jeez, that's weird. I still remember trying to get tickets for his show at work, 2 laptops and one smartphone at the ready. Only to discover afterwards that 7 colleagues did the same thing. And I really think I'd struggle finding someone who hasn't at least heard of him. 

Kylie (I love her, mind) isn't even in that same league ticket-selling wise. She used to be more popular, but now she's playing much smaller venues than the ones Cave plays in Belgium. Her last show at Werchter was in the tent, whereas Cave headlined that festival the year before that. 

9 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Surprised to hear this. Maybe it's only struggling in the UK? In Belgium their arena show sold out instantly. It was literally a ticket rush. (An arena the likes of The Killers, RHCP, QOTSA,... didn't even manage to sell out).

Wonder why he's not that popular in the UK then. 

He is popular. He’s not ‘sell 100k tickets quickly’ popular but not many acts are. For a cult act who never got played on the mainstream radio (as far as I know) or went on Top of the Pops until the Kylie duet, it’s surprising that he’s in arenas or selling out huge London parks at all.

Again, there isn’t really any foundation to the idea that his tour was cancelled for low sales - especially as he cancelled sold out shows as well - so the ‘why is Nick Cave a flop?’ subject is an odd one to broach.

Edited by dentalplan

48 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Again, there isn’t really any foundation to the idea that his tour was cancelled for low sales - especially as he cancelled sold out shows as well - so the ‘why is Nick Cave a flop?’ subject is an odd one to broach.

Album only reached #4 in the charts. Such a flop.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Was just going to post this! That's quite exciting. Sounds like it might be a bit more rough around the edges than his recent stuff from that title, but who knows?

Ghosteen was the conclusion of a trilogy of albums so here’s hoping the next one moves away from that kind of sound. That title certainly suggests it might! And I didn’t think he was anywhere close to finishing the album so this is very good news.