Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Today's post is rather lovely:

Rather than ask you a question, I'd like to ask you to do something. I think you'll be touched by this story, and the part you play in it. Please take a look.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-19/non-verbal-teen-tyler-hartfield-writes-nick-cave-inspired-song/12555074

Thanks for inspiring.

NIC, DENMARK, AUSTRALIA

Dear Nic,

This is so good. The band are great. I love the slow crawl of the song, the backing vocals coming in half way, and everything kicking in at 3:15. Genuinely thrilling.

And Tyler’s writing is something else.

‘The wolf who wins?
The one you feed’

— is about as smart and as true as something can be, and the final verse

‘Playing on my heartstrings
You never pour your picky jealousy
Onto my growing love for you
Help me beat my way to you’

— is as good as it gets. That last line!

‘Help me beat my way to you’

Wow!

Love, Nick
  • Upvote 1

If anyone wants to help the Hebden Bridge Trades Club keep afloat, they've got some merch going on sale on the link below at 5pm today. Buying Nick stuff with a warm fuzzy supporting-venues feeling.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/helphebdenbridgetradesclub

Nick Cave Bundle Thank you to our 1124 supporters - with your help we've managed to get to 91% of our target in just two weeks! We're putting a one-off reward up on the crowdfunder site at 5pm today - thanks to NICK CAVE and his mgmt and Kaley Tuson from BIMM Manchester for reeling this in for us!  1598106026_processed.jpg  Nick Cave Bundle - £100 or more  Bad Seed tote bag  Ghosteen Lamb mug   Skeleton Tree t-shirt (XXL)  Fashion Tips tea towel    Red Hand pen    'And The A-s Saw The Angel' book.  Thank you for continuing to spread the word, liking & sharing  Mal x  The Trades Club

Nick Cave Bundle

Thank you to our 1124 supporters - with your help we've managed to get to 91% of our target in just two weeks! We're putting a one-off reward up on the crowdfunder site at 5pm today - thanks to NICK CAVE and his mgmt and Kaley Tuson from BIMM Manchester for reeling this in for us!

1598106026_processed.jpg

Nick Cave Bundle - £100 or more

Bad Seed tote bag

Ghosteen Lamb mug 

Skeleton Tree t-shirt (XXL)

Fashion Tips tea towel  

Red Hand pen  

'And The A-s Saw The Angel' book.

Thank you for continuing to spread the word, liking & sharing

Mal x

The Trades Club

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I think this is a little shitty towards those who did the initial stream. You'd think we could get a code to at least download the album free. Thoughts? Seems like a good bit of profiteering from those who were super psyched initially. 

😕

I kind of agree, but it's not out of character! You seen how much he charges for those evening with events?

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

I think this is a little shitty towards those who did the initial stream. You'd think we could get a code to at least download the album free. Thoughts? Seems like a good bit of profiteering from those who were super psyched initially. 

😕

Yes, despite not seeing it, I think an album would be better, and not showing it in cinemas.

20 hours ago, Superscally said:

They're doing both 

Yes, I wasn't clear, I meant release the album but keep the visual show as a one off for those who saw it and not repeat it as a film, it dilutes the experience I think.

This is so sad. Latest Red hand file:

Do you enjoy magic? Card tricks, stage illusions, that kind of thing.
RICHARD, LONDON, UK

Dear Richard,

Yes, I do have an interest in magic, or at least I used to. My boy, Arthur, became obsessed with it when he was about thirteen and for a year, maybe more, all he did was magic. Every day he sat around shuffling cards and flipping coins, and watching endless online magic tutorials and DVDs by his favourite magicians. He joined The Young Magicians Club at The Magic Circle and I would drive him around to magic shows and magicians conventions and trade shows and magic shops. He practised and practised and became really good at it.

In the summer of 2014, in Los Angeles, we spent much of our time down on Hollywood Blvd watching the street magicians, and Arthur would show them his magic tricks and they would show him theirs. We hung out at the Magic Castle every Saturday that summer, and entered this strange community of magicians, who taught Arthur the Classic Pass and the Double Turnover and the various coin tricks, and Arthur got so good at sleight of hand it seemed that there was nothing he couldnt make disappear.

Our dear friend Larry Ratso Sloman, who wrote the definitive book on Harry Houdini, introduced us to the great David Blaine — we went to his house and Arthur showed him a couple of his tricks and David called Arthur a good magician, then took out a deck of cards and completely blew our minds. Later on he gave Arthur the novel, Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse, which Arthur never read, but kept next to his bed.

Then one day, back in Brighton, Arthur just stopped doing magic completely. I asked him why and he just shrugged and said, I dont want to do it any more, dad, and that was the end of that — and, I suppose, the end of my active interest in magic, too.

Richard, I hope Ive answered your question. I am sorry that maybe in the end these words are not addressed to you. Maybe these words are projected beyond this world, as a wish, as a prayer, as a sleight of hand, hoping they may draw the attention of the spirits themselves. Our boy, our magician, our vanisher — we miss you.

Love, Nick

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...