Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Yes, ideal, rescheduled dates are during holiday for me! No rush from work to London on a Friday for me! 

On the flip side, now it’s April I might have rugby on the Saturday... 

definitely Easter holidays for anyone at uni, its Maundy Thursday and good Friday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have people been tuning into the TEEVEE thing? I finish every Friday with Babe I'm On Fire and whoever runs it played it half an hour ago and I haven't been able to do any work since, just gonna have to crack on with the beer aren't I?

Worth having open in a tab though and dipping in and out, some top stuff in there.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Have people been tuning into the TEEVEE thing? I finish every Friday with Babe I'm On Fire and whoever runs it played it half an hour ago and I haven't been able to do any work since, just gonna have to crack on with the beer aren't I?

Worth having open in a tab though and dipping in and out, some top stuff in there.

I watched it a bit when it first launched, but must admit I haven't been back in yet – mainly as I fear it will be too distracting! Will do at some point soon, though. Babe I'm On Fire is an incredible video.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I watched it a bit when it first launched, but must admit I haven't been back in yet – mainly as I fear it will be too distracting! Will do at some point soon, though. Babe I'm On Fire is an incredible video.

Yeah that's effectively my afternoon summed up ahah. There's a lot of live acts I can have on in the background but I keep having to sneak a peek of this guy. Pretty good for coffee breaks though, and I can see myself landing on it when its 3am, my flatmates have gone to bed and I've poured myself a glass of the headache gin I swear I'm gonna throw away one of these days. 

On 5/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, priest17 said:

Yeah that's effectively my afternoon summed up ahah. There's a lot of live acts I can have on in the background but I keep having to sneak a peek of this guy. Pretty good for coffee breaks though, and I can see myself landing on it when its 3am, my flatmates have gone to bed and I've poured myself a glass of the headache gin I swear I'm gonna throw away one of these days. 

I'm a fortune teller lol

And in a way I've been yearning...

• 1 month later...

Just rewatched that 2013 set. Holy fuck it was so good. Still one of my favourite times I've ever seen them. Felt so emotional watching it and remembering how blown away I was by that version of Jubilee Street and then the unexpected joy of From Her to Eternity. Everyone talks about the girl in the white dress and it was a real moment but the whole set is blistering, raw, fantastic. Felt so proud of them. 

And then legged it to the Other stage to catch the better half of Pumpkins!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

14 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Listened to Ghosteen again the other day. 

To think I almost forgot how excellent this stuff is. Modern masterpiece.  

When I first heard Ghosteen I had to stop working. I sat there mesmerised. It took me to places I never knew existed. The emotion was so strong. It really did hit me. Never had that happen from listening to an album before. Truly wonderful work.

Anyone else buy a ticket for Idiot Prayer? It's quite pricey for a virtual gig but I'm very excited for it, especially as they promise rarities. Efests listening party?

Also I guess the design values will be quite a lot higher than your average Zoom gig. One thing I was wondering though: how did they film this in the Royal Albert Hall in June when he lives in LA? Was he over he pre tour? 

While we're on Cave, can we have a moment for that bit of the Glastonbury set from 2013 when he comes to the front of the stage and goes to say "I wanna tell you about a girl" but he stops and starts like three times and when you know from past experience what he is about to say (and it's one of your top three Cave songs and the first time you saw it live) it really is the best thing. Glorious moment of anticipation.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

6 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Mate I'll be quoting this post within the next 5 years when he headlines. Sure you want to self-own this hard?

Be careful what you wish for, I guess. Beloved cult acts and stadium fillers are generally different things. If he tops the bill and then draws a muted response then noone really benefits.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Be careful what you wish for, I guess. Beloved cult acts and stadium fillers are generally different things. If he tops the bill and then draws a muted response then noone really benefits.

I'm not sure if this is true. Of course, headliners are sometimes known to get a muted response in a sense of crowd size, set legacy  etc but its very rare that people leave the field  and feel like they haven't  received a top set by an act they love. Large scale appeal/reception (in the shape of a big crowd/social media hype) is one thing, but a well delivered set to a smaller but all together satisfied crowd is another.

A positive review from those at the festival isnt necessarily negated by crowd size or media response. Its pretty unequivocally agreed upon that  a Nick Cave headline slot would be well received, considering the loyalty of his fans and the fact his live shows are so damn good.