Nick Cave

Midnight Man

It's so fucking beautiful. Really OD'd on it this week now I finally have my CD. Going in again shortly. Glad I got tickets for the gig next year despite how much they cost!

I do wonder how it will translate live though. I can see it mixing in with some stuff from Skeleton Tree and PTSA but not the older more raucous stuff.

I fucking love Nick Cave. I've advocated for him headlining the pyramid for years and his last Manchester arena show is potentially my favourite gig I've been to (I average around 30 a year). Skeleton Tree might be in my top 3 Nick Cave albums. I can't connect to this one at all though, I dunno what it is. PTSA took me ages to get into so maybe I just need to be patient, he did say in his conversation I went to that he loves that every album he released his fans have to question whether they're still Nick Cave fans, so maybe I just have to sit this one out. I don't dislike it though, I'm just not getting the same as everyone else. Just a bit meh currently.

49 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I fucking love Nick Cave. I've advocated for him headlining the pyramid for years and his last Manchester arena show is potentially my favourite gig I've been to (I average around 30 a year). Skeleton Tree might be in my top 3 Nick Cave albums. I can't connect to this one at all though, I dunno what it is. PTSA took me ages to get into so maybe I just need to be patient, he did say in his conversation I went to that he loves that every album he released his fans have to question whether they're still Nick Cave fans, so maybe I just have to sit this one out. I don't dislike it though, I'm just not getting the same as everyone else. Just a bit meh currently.

Even though I love it I do get what you mean to an extent. PTSA and ST were pretty instant for me. This is a much more ephemeral, immersive odd listening experience. But I do love it - definitely not in the same way as those last two, which on balance I do prefer. I'd put both those albums in my top 5 Cave albums. But I love as always that they've done something different once again.

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's so fucking beautiful. Really OD'd on it this week now I finally have my CD. Going in again shortly. Glad I got tickets for the gig next year despite how much they cost!

I do wonder how it will translate live though. I can see it mixing in with some stuff from Skeleton Tree and PTSA but not the older moreraucous stuff.

I don't know if he's done this before but I've been  thinking  it could work best with an interval - Ghosteen in full and then a break before some other material

3 minutes ago, Jon F said:

I don't know if he's done this before but I've been  thinking  it could work best with an interval - Ghosteen in full and then a break before some other material

Yeah I think that would work best too. Can't recall them doing something like that in recent memory, but I think it would work.

4 hours ago, Jon F said:

Ghosteen appeared on YouTube with an interval, so that would be 2 intervals in what wouldn't be an overlong set. Not a criticism of your point, just a pedantic observation.

3 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

It would be cool but if it was at Glastonbury he would surely lose alot of casual fans.

I'd agree. I like it but it's not my favourite. Nick will obviously promote it, as it means a lot to him, but the band still would perform other songs, especially those which are in each set. To sit in a field with talkers and card players (as I saw at the Pyramid) isn't going to be the best way to hear Ghosteen or the band for non-Nick obsessives.

Nick, if you're reading this, bring it to the Brudenell live, and say hi to Warren.

13 hours ago, priest17 said:

I was at the Manchester gig, I agree with you, it was so powerful and moving, it took my breath away.

16 minutes ago, cdm22 said:

At £80+ for standing or half decent seats i'm not surprised it's not selling that quickly. It certainly put me off seeing him again.

Yeah double what I paid to see him in the same venue (Manc Arena) just three years ago. Still tempted to get a ticket as I know it’ll be a great show, but that price hike is annoying, and I’m tempted to just hold out for him hopefully being at Glastonbury.

3 hours ago, henry bear said:

Embarrassed by the fact that my local arena, Cardiff Motorpoint, still has tickets left for Nick Cave, yet the bloody Kaiser Chiefs have sold out.

Nick Cave is very limited in his music, he doesn’t have enough ooooOOOOOOH’s in his songs, that’s the problem.