Nick Cave

Midnight Man

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm similarly unconvinced by it. I'm hoping it'll click, but put it on again this afternoon and it still sounds like a waterlogged shapeless misfire.

Yep, the title track is stunning and as I say, I'm sure it will click at some point...but I've not had the patience so far throughout. 

31 minutes ago, PDAD said:

Mine was Abbatoir Blues / Lyre of Orpheus....

which probably explains the positioning of that...

Mine too. I'd have it near the top of the list.

He's too difficult to categorise, I've no chance of making a satisfactory ranking of his albums (plus I don't know them all anyway).

Just dug out Lovely Creatures, the best of, that'll do for now (Strangely, I knew the Johnny Cash version of Mercy Street well before the original, when I heard Cave's I was amazed by it, because it was so different)

Edited by Avalon_Fields

1 hour ago, PDAD said:

Okay...I'm going to keep it to Bad Seeds albums...To be honest, my list is pretty much correlative with how often I've listened to each album - such is the nature of 'grower' albums.  

1. Abbatoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus
2.Let Love In
3. Murder Ballads
4. Push the Sky Away
5. Henry's Dream
6. The Boatman's Call
7. Dig Lazarus Dig
8. No More Shall We Part
9. The Firstborn is Dead
10. Tender Prey
11. The Good Son
12. From Her to Eternity
13. Skeleton Tree
14. Nocturama
15. Your Funeral...My Trial
16.  Ghosteen (I'm sure it will properly click soon)
17. No More Shall We Part

Were you just sticking pins in? 

Here we go. Rather high placement for Ghosteen, but I feel like this is another masterpiece by a Nick Cave who operates at the creative peak of his career.

1. Your Funeral...My Trial

2. The Good Son

3. Push The Sky Away

4. Let Love In

5. Tender Prey

6. Ghosteen

7. Skeleton Tree

8. No More Shall We Part

9. The Boatman's Call

10. From Her To Eternity

11. Dig!! Lazarus Dig!!

12. Abbatoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus

13. Henry's Dream

14. Murder Ballads

15. The Firstborn is Dead

16. Nocturama

17. Kicking Against The Pricks

Not one stinker. Not one. I can basically pick any album and enjoy the hell out of it.

Edited by lighthouse

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I wasn't mad on the Q&A show I went to, but he played Breathless which is an ace deep cut.

Indeed it is. Like it so much that it soundtracked our wedding! (although I was slightly grumpy to see it used in the same way in a TV programme a few years later)...

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm similarly unconvinced by it. I'm hoping it'll click, but put it on again this afternoon and it still sounds like a waterlogged shapeless misfire.

I’m glad it’s not just me. Keep reading how it’s a masterpiece but I can’t get on with it at all. Sounds like spoken word poetry with some musical accompaniment rather than proper songs. Makes me think of Jim Morrison’s American Prayer, which is never a good thing.

My rankings would be similar to @PDAD’s, save that I reckon Nocturama is by far his worse.

24 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

What songs  from Ghosteen do you reckon he'll play on the this tour? That's if he isn't playing it in full each time.

What other songs do you want him to bring back for it? Hope it's not just the same stuff from the last tour, although it's still a pretty great setlist

I think he'll replace most Skeleton Tree songs with Ghosteen songs. Reckon he'll play Bright Horses, Waiting For You, Sun Forest and Galleon Ship. Maybe one of the 2 longer ones.

Setlist prediction/wishlist:

Sun Forest

Bright Horses

Mermaids

Jubilee Steet

Jack The Ripper

From Her To Eternity

Henry Lee

Galleon Ship

God Is In The House

Into My Arms

Waiting For You

Red Right Hand

The Good Son

Anthrocene

Ghosteen

The Mercy Seat

Stagger Lee

O Children

Edited by lighthouse

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why do you say that? Thought he was nailed on for Glasto when I saw them.

There's not really an equivalent thing for Glastonbury so it's just interpretation, but he's crossed out a few big festivals he might've done in Europe with these dates. Polish date means no Open'er, Madrid - no Mad Cool, Antwerp - No Rock Werchter, Copenhagen x2 - no Roskilde, etc. 

He could put his feet up for a couple of weeks and then play Glastonbury as a one-off but it seems to me like avoiding festivals and touring arenas in May/June was the conscious decision. Again, just the way I'm seeing it - but if so, I'm sure 2021 will be festivals aplenty.

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Small prediction: these arena dates will sell out almost instantly. And Cave and the Seeds will headline the pyramid in 2021.

?

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There's not really an equivalent thing for Glastonbury so it's just interpretation, but he's crossed out a few big festivals he might've done in Europe with these dates. Polish date means no Open'er, Madrid - no Mad Cool, Antwerp - No Rock Werchter, Copenhagen x2 - no Roskilde, etc.

?

Yeah but those festivals have had him play fairly recently (apart from Mad Cool), whereas he hasn't played Glastonbury (excluding the guest appearance at Kylie's set) in seven years. Don't see why he wouldn't do it as a one off; seems like he knows it's a special event and not just "yet another festival"

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah but those festivals have had him play fairly recently (apart from Mad Cool), whereas he hasn't played Glastonbury (excluding the guest appearance at Kylie's set) in seven years. Don't see why he wouldn't do it as a one off; seems like he knows it's a special event and not just "yet another festival"

Fair deuce about his recent showings at those fests.

Still not expecting him. Considering that he routed an 'in conversation' tour around a special guest appearance for a song at Glastonbury. What a strange thing it would be to leave ten days at the end of the tour blank; staff still on the payroll and away from their homes because he's doing a one-off show at a festival he likes more than the other festivals.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

. What a strange thing it would be to leave ten days at the end of the tour blank; staff still on the payroll and away from their homes because he's doing a one-off show at a festival he likes more than the other festivals.

Okay, that is a pretty good point. But then doesn't it depend on where all his staff live? For all we know the majority might be UK based, and so it would be easy to do a one off show. Plus even if they aren't, won't the festival have staff that he can use too? I might be wrong though, not sure exactly how these things work...

Failing that, 2023 is the Bad Seeds 40th anniversary. Will probably also be a fallow year though

11 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Okay, that is a pretty good point. But then doesn't it depend on where all his staff live? For all we know the majority might be UK based, and so it would be easy to do a one off show. Plus even if they aren't, won't the festival have staff that he can use too? I might be wrong though, not sure exactly how these things work...

I'd say it doesn't depend on that but I don't honestly know a massive lot about this kinda stuff; just that it's mentioned as a consideration when plotting tours.