Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Lots of anger and bad vibes hanging around this place over the past few days/ weeks. Thought I’d share the latest Red Hand Files email from Nick today. Made me feel all fuzzy. Hope it makes you feel the same:

I am 10 and have been surrounded by and listened to your music as long as I can remember. I saw you in Hobart in January 2017 and I'll be there again to see you in January 2019. None of my friends listen to anything cool, interesting or beautiful. How will having your music in my life so early on affect me, and have you got any advice for me? Thank you. 

PTOLEMY, LAUNCESTON, AUSTRALIA

Dear Ptolemy,

I think I may have already answered your question at the In Conversationsin Hobart - if you’re the little blonde kid, who was sitting on the right side of the hall. I can’t remember exactly what I replied, but I thought more about the question after the show, and I remember wishing I had answered it better.

Perhaps, this is what I should have said. Listening to Bad Seeds music at your age is like having a secret knowledge. When I was about your age I had a secret knowledge too. My eldest brother, Tim, used to listen to a lot of very strange and obscure music and he passed this knowledge on to me. Back then I lived in a rural city in Victoria and it seemed to me that nobody my age listened to the music my brother played to me. As far as I could tell they all listened to a whole lot of shit. It was like I carried a secret around inside me, a special knowledge about the world that my friends didn’t have. It was a secret power. I carried this secret power with me all through my kid-years until I went to a school in Melbourne, where I met three or four other people who also had this special knowledge – this secret power. These people became my best friends and we went on to form a band and tried, in our way, to take this knowledge and pass it on to the world.

This secret knowledge you have is a strength that lives only inside certain people. It is a strength that will inspire you to do wondrous things - like write stories, or draw pictures, or build rockets that fly to Mars. It will give you the courage to take on anything that the world might put in front of you. It’s a wild power that can be of untold value to the world.  Your name, Ptolemy, is a warrior’s name. A boy full of inspiration with a warrior’s name! The world is waiting for you. Blow ‘em away, kid.

Love, Nick

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

How many songs does he usually play at these sort of things? Considering the Usher Hall one but the prices listed on their website are putting me off a bit.

I've been to one a few years ago and would say it was about half and half. But that was for The Sick Bag Song so it was partially readings, not a Q&A thing.

Honestly don't know if I can justify that. Seems a bit of a pisstake.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Can I get away with putting my shoes on my knees and shuffling in?

Almost certainly. When they ask for ID, just respond "I'm 16 so I don't have a drivers license and my mum doesn't let me take my passport out with me." 

4 minutes ago, chatty said:

I wonder if Nick Cave could be a secret set. Hes in the area that weekend so could turn up Sunday, could do something with Kylie and then a secret set that day, though it wouldnt be much a secret at that point but then again they never are anyway. 

3am Hell Stage slot.

If anyone is aged between 14 - 25 and wants to hit up the London show. Sign up to Young Barbican on the Barbican website and you can get £15 tickets to the show (amazing deal considering prices). I used this a lot when I was studying in London. Just need to show some ID when you turn up on the night. Enjoy!

• Like 1