Nick Cave

Midnight Man

50 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Btw I think the 'he sold out the venue when other nights didn't' may be a red herring - on the way out, the crowd was a lot smaller than the previous night for the national. way less bottlenecks etc. had to queue for 10 mins at the gates outside the crown on saturday, but went straight though after the bad seeds. were the crowd numbers reduced or was it just better management?

I think a lot of people left early. We left at the beginning of Push The Sky Away as my mate had a coach to catch, and it was very very busy leaving.

Sensational gig. Proof indeed that not only could they headline Glastonbury, but they'd also be one of the greatest headliners of all time. 

While the duet with Kylie was the low point musically for me, it was a masterstroke from a marketing perspective. The gig is being reviewed all over the mainstream media, even in rags like the sun. If she hadnt been there the gig would have passed with barely a murmer I bet. I hope they now keep up the momentum and announce a few more big dates and then headlining glastonbury will be a formality. 

Seeing them play loverman was a huge moment for me, as it was the song that got me into the band. At glastonbury in 1994 I'd never even heard of nick cave and had no real clue about music. I was only really into rave music back then but that song and the rest of the set changed everything for me. 

Of course there are loads of songs I wish they'd played but that's always the case when you have a back catalogue like that. Would have liked to see higgs boson blues and skeleton tree. That was so joyous at the o2. 

What a day! 

42 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Sensational gig. Proof indeed that not only could they headline Glastonbury, but they'd also be one of the greatest headliners of all time. 

While the duet with Kylie was the low point musically for me, it was a masterstroke from a marketing perspective. The gig is being reviewed all over the mainstream media, even in rags like the sun. If she hadnt been there the gig would have passed with barely a murmer I bet. I hope they now keep up the momentum and announce a few more big dates and then headlining glastonbury will be a formality. 

Seeing them play loverman was a huge moment for me, as it was the song that got me into the band. At glastonbury in 1994 I'd never even heard of nick cave and had no real clue about music. I was only really into rave music back then but that song and the rest of the set changed everything for me. 

Of course there are loads of songs I wish they'd played but that's always the case when you have a back catalogue like that. Would have liked to see higgs boson blues and skeleton tree. That was so joyous at the o2. 

What a day! 

Very good point on the Kylie front. What a smooth move from Mr Cave.

Glad the consensus here was positive, although I never doubted it would be.

I think I was a bit in front when the cat was being held out the window as could see something was going on and everyone started going mental.

Not really directly about Nick Cave but a little story:
I've had a  female friend for over a year, we became quite close but I unfortunately we've been arguing a lot more these days. After a very heated argument, we decided to take a break from eachother from for year. Took her to this as we said we should have one last good day together, didnt want our final moments to be an argument. Plus she's a huge Nick Cave fan and has wanted to see Patti for a long time too.

We had a really nice time and then headed home. As we approached her stop I hugged her and said "I don't kmow if I'll see you again or how I'll feel when I do, but if I don't say this right now I'll regret it forever. I'm in love with you, and I'm going to miss you so much."

She holds my hand as she steps off the train and looks up at me. "I had an amazing time today, thank you. I hope you have a great year...... I love you"

...and then we parted. :(

I cant see Nick Cave headlining Glastonbury, I don't think I ever want him to. The Pyramid headline slots are for the TV crowd and the people there to watch a Glastonbury headliner. The crowd would leave in droves. I would much rather see them on the other where the crowd really makes a choice to be there, rather that at the Pyramid. Take Portishead in 2012, it would never had the same impact on the Pyramid. Everybody in that crowd wanted to be there and it made for an utterly intense and personal experience, the best I have ever experienced at Glastonbury. It simply would have had the same impact at The Pyramid because so many punters are there to watch the headliner whoever it is. They just wouldn't get it, and would be moaning/talking amongst themselves and kill the atmosphere which Cave generates

Their sub set on the Pyramid in 2012 was ace though, brilliant, I will never forget the faces on the Mumford lot during Stagger Lee, they really didn't know what had hit them. Rabbits in headlights

2012 was great year for me at Glastonbury, and I didn't even mention the Stones!

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:
I've had a  female friend for over a year, we became quite close but I unfortunately we've been arguing a lot more these days. After a very heated argument, we decided to take a break from eachother from for year. Took her to this as we said we should have one last good day together, didnt want our final moments to be an argument. Plus she's a huge Nick Cave fan and has wanted to see Patti for a long time too.

We had a really nice time and then headed home. As we approached her stop I hugged her and said "I don't kmow if I'll see you again or how I'll feel when I do, but if I don't say this right now I'll regret it forever. I'm in love with you, and I'm going to miss you so much."

She holds my hand as she steps off the train and looks up at me. "I had an amazing time today, thank you. I hope you have a great year...... I love you"

and no more shall we pa- oh

4 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Btw I think the 'he sold out the venue when other nights didn't' may be a red herring - on the way out, the crowd was a lot smaller than the previous night for the national. way less bottlenecks etc. had to queue for 10 mins at the gates outside the crown on saturday, but went straight though after the bad seeds. were the crowd numbers reduced or was it just better management?

I thought the complete opposite - when we left yesterday we turned left down Old Ford Road with the intention of cutting down side streets to Mile End as we couldn't be arsed walking down Grove Road which is a complete faff. So we walked back alongside the festival site for a bit and the crowds were mad, nobody was moving. Eventually people decided to break through the barriers and we ended up spending 10 minutes helping randomers clamber over the spiked fences. 

National I had zero problems getting out, only bottleneck was when Grove Road opens to traffic again. 

Anyway, I was on the gate Saturday as was told 25,000 for the National, 35,000 for Cave (roughly, obvs) 

27 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Life's too short mate. If you love her and she loves you, go for it. Tell her how you feel, don't let it wither and die. Some things are worth fighting for.

And tell us how you get on.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Life's too short mate. If you love her and she loves you, go for it. Tell her how you feel, don't let it wither and die. Some things are worth fighting for.

And tell us how you get on.

Well, we promised to commit to the deal no matter what. I just hope things will go smoother when we meet again, as things have been rather messy. We've had many moments together where it felt like I should have kissed her but I would always hesitate or something would interrupt. Romance is difficult...

We're hoping All Points East will return next year so that our reunion can be there. 

22 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Well, we promised to commit to the deal no matter what. I just hope things will go smoother when we meet again, as things have been rather messy. We've had many moments together where it felt like I should have kissed her but I would always hesitate or something would interrupt. Romance is difficult...

We're hoping All Points East will return next year so that our reunion can be there. 

That seems romantic. Well, I guess if it's meant to be it's meant to be. But best be as open as you can about your feelings I reckon. Good luck!

2 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

I cant see Nick Cave headlining Glastonbury, I don't think I ever want him to. The Pyramid headline slots are for the TV crowd and the people there to watch a Glastonbury headliner. The crowd would leave in droves. I would much rather see them on the other where the crowd really makes a choice to be there, rather that at the Pyramid. Take Portishead in 2012, it would never had the same impact on the Pyramid. Everybody in that crowd wanted to be there and it made for an utterly intense and personal experience, the best I have ever experienced at Glastonbury. It simply would have had the same impact at The Pyramid because so many punters are there to watch the headliner whoever it is. They just wouldn't get it, and would be moaning/talking amongst themselves and kill the atmosphere which Cave generates

Their sub set on the Pyramid in 2012 was ace though, brilliant, I will never forget the faces on the Mumford lot during Stagger Lee, they really didn't know what had hit them. Rabbits in headlights

2012 was great year for me at Glastonbury, and I didn't even mention the Stones!

2013? :P 

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

As one of the oldest posters on here and one who has fucked up a large part of his life with bad choices listen to me.  

WTF: if you feel that strongly about her then don't just let her walk away, you can't possibly leave it like that!! If she doesn't want to be with you then that's shit but life's like that, but you can't walk away with both of you saying "I love you - goodbye" - you need to meet at least once more to sort this out. In a year's time one of you will have moved on and the other will be left hanging.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 9:50 AM, Quark said:

:D

OK, so between you and @russycarps give me 3 Cave albums to go for as a complete novice.  Assuming our campaign gathers momentum and succeeds I should really be there to watch next year! :lol:

Hi Quark,

I may be a little late with this but start with the Lovely Creatures best of album and the just take it from there. Take a track that you like and then check out that album and so on, it will be a great journey.

On 6/4/2018 at 12:28 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fucking great gig, couldn't fault the Bad Seeds in any way - they were flawless and Nick was on great form. I had trouble finding a good spot in the crowd though, lots of talkers and I can't really handle/be arsed waiting down the front for ages these days so further back you lost a bit of the atmosphere. Setlist was okay, would have preferred more Skeleton Tree although I guess they were going for crowd pleasing stuff (like the Kylie appearance, which was great). Some odd choices though - Loverman and Do You Love Me (neither big faves with me), Come Into My Sleep was great but a really odd choice for a festival crowd. I missed Tupelo, The Mercy Seat and I Need You. Epic version of From Her To Eternity, possibly the best I've seen. And probably the most shambolic Stagger Lee I've seen as far as Cave was concerned - he had Billy Dilly being shot two or three times before his missus came in... band sounded great though obviously. Oh and Jubilee street and Push the sky Away were both clear highlights. Top of their game still. 

Great day all in all too, Patti, Nadine, Courtney all great... had some great katsu curry and the halloumi fries, bar and toilet queues weren't too bad if you went to the right ones, smuggled rum in with ease. Ballache to get home from as ever. But would definitely consider going back.

I missed The Mercy Seat and The Ship Song from his Primavera setlist but Where the Wild Roses grow was a great bonus. Stagger Lee was just shambolic fun; he'd struggled to get to what I assume was a small 2nd stage for Deanna, then struggled to get back for Stagger Lee, I'm not sure he could hear the band, he was asking Martyn to play something at which point the bass got a lot louder, and was presumably under time pressures - one of the best live sets I've ever seen.  

Have to agree about Patti, Nadine and Courtney.

After a ballsache getting to Mile End on Saturday we went the back way to Bow, as we were travelling East, avoiding Grove Road altogether - no problems at all. 

9 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

As one of the oldest posters on here and one who has fucked up a large part of his life with bad choices listen to me.  

WTF: if you feel that strongly about her then don't just let her walk away, you can't possibly leave it like that!! If she doesn't want to be with you then that's shit but life's like that, but you can't walk away with both of you saying "I love you - goodbye" - you need to meet at least once more to sort this out. In a year's time one of you will have moved on and the other will be left hanging.

I just don't know what meeting again would do, what I could even say. Even if we are to get together someday, I don't think now is the right time. At least this way we ended it on a high note; if i see her again  so soon we'll probably just argue again

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I just don't know what meeting again would do, what I could even say. Even if we are to get together someday, I don't think now is the right time. At least this way we ended it on a high note; if i see her again  so soon we'll probably just argue again

If you're certain that you've done the right thing then I hope it all works out ok for you both.