Nick Cave

Midnight Man

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Just got back from a screening of Distant Sky. Highly recommended if you get a chance to see it - Nick on top form. I can't wait to see him at APE in June.

Hm I didn't bother because I thought it was a straight up concert film of a concert I've near enough seen but the reviews suggest a fair bit more than that is going on. I'm sure there'll be a DVD/streaming release forthcoming.

I see the band have graduated to arenas in the US as well. This late-career ascent is pretty bewildering but he's working it alright.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hm I didn't bother because I thought it was a straight up concert film of a concert I've near enough seen but the reviews suggest a fair bit more than that is going on. I'm sure there'll be a DVD/streaming release forthcoming.

I see the band have graduated to arenas in the US as well. This late-career ascent is pretty bewildering but he's working it alright.

It is just a film of the concert but very well shot and edited, the close ups show the emotions that Nick is going through which you certainly wouldn't see unless you were right at the front. It's probably the nearest to a being there film I've seen (I think that makes sense); I wanted to applaud and whoop at the end of of each song as if I was there, but with typical English reserve I managed to restrain myself but somewhat regretted it afterwards.

On 4/13/2018 at 5:38 PM, Losing my hair said:

It is just a film of the concert but very well shot and edited, the close ups show the emotions that Nick is going through which you certainly wouldn't see unless you were right at the front. It's probably the nearest to a being there film I've seen (I think that makes sense); I wanted to applaud and whoop at the end of of each song as if I was there, but with typical English reserve I managed to restrain myself but somewhat regretted it afterwards.

Having read the reviews I kind of regret going, but I just dont think I would have enjoyed it so much sat still and quiet in my seat. And considering I'd have been watching somewhere in london moving or making any noise would have been out of the question...

On 4/13/2018 at 12:11 PM, dentalplan said:

very surprised to see this jump, although it's only the NY, LA, and Toronto markets that's he's given it a go, Wash DC is a smaller one. will be interested to see how full those will be. 

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Having read the reviews I kind of regret going, but I just dont think I would have enjoyed it so much sat still and quiet in my seat. And considering I'd have been watching somewhere in london moving or making any noise would have been out of the question...

The screening was in an 80 seat independent cinema and I felt I might be a little conspicuous; I suspect everybody else felt the same. I wonder what would have happened if one person had been brave enough to go for it?

He wasn't running, no! Just walking in a very cool manner. I said hi, he said hi back, acknowledged my baby, which probably makes her in the top 5 coolest babies on planet earth now, especially as she was deemed "nice". Talked about having seen Distant Sky, said that the setlist was immense. Talked about going to see him this summer and having seen this tour in Detroit. He liked these things, then we said taraa!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course fucking love letter was one of them. Tasty set list though. 

Sad Waters

The Mercy Seat

Stranger Than Kindness

Into My Arms

West Country Girl

Papa Won't Leave You, Henry

Mermaids

God Is in the House

Far From Me

The Weeping Song

Love Letter

And No More Shall We Part

The Ship Song

Henry Lee

Skeleton Tree

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Can't decide whether to go to Vic Park; the setlists are looking a tad downbeat/latest album heavy. Not sure it's London festival-pleasing stuff, having listened to a load of people talk over Sigur Ros previously at Vic Park!

It'll be amazing, there's no doubt about it. I reckon the only song off the new album they'll play at the festival will be Skeleton Tree, which is joyous live..

• 2 weeks later...

I see the cave day comfortably sold out while the other days are still struggling. I think the "but they are not big enough to headline glastonbury!" tits can safely crawl back under their rocks. 

This is proof they are big enough and their records are proof they are good enough. They'd be the last great glastonbury headliner. It must happen for the sake of the festival, judging by the other options mooted in the 2019 headliners thread.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I see the cave day comfortably sold out while the other days are still struggling. I think the "but they are not big enough to headline glastonbury!" tits can safely crawl back under their rocks. 

This is proof they are big enough and their records are proof they are good enough. They'd be the last great glastonbury headliner. It must happen for the sake of the festival, judging by the other options mooted in the 2019 headliners thread.

This is very true. Can it happen? I'd love to think so, especially since Emily is reportedly a fan. But only if I get tickets - and I am not at all confident of that...

Who else is being mooted? I dread to ask...

18 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is very true. Can it happen? I'd love to think so, especially since Emily is reportedly a fan. But only if I get tickets - and I am not at all confident of that...

Who else is being mooted? I dread to ask...

If you've not been in the headliners thread I'd spare yourself.  It'll just make you Russy-levels of annoyed.  Nothing exciting TBH.

I'm not really a Cave fan, simply because I've never made the effort to get into his stuff (which I keep meaning to remedy) but I'd be happy to see him headline.  But even if Emily's a fan and APE has sold out, which clearly shows popularity, do you think he's a big enough "name" to headline? He doesn't fit in the current zeitgeist popularity bracket (Sheeran, Adele, Kamye, Beyonce), isn't one of the safe pair of hands crew (Coldplay, Muse) and isn't a big name legend status (Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, The Who, Metallica).

The closest  I can think of from recent memory who'd sit in that category of artists with a solid fanbase and a decent amount of credibility, but not a household name as such, would be Arcade Fire.  I  missed '14, but from everything I've heard the reaction to AF as a result was just a bit....meh

Edited by Quark

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you've not been in the headliners thread I'd spare yourself.  It'll just make you Russy-levels of annoyed.  Nothing exciting TBH.

I'm not really a Cave fan, simply because I've never made the effort to get into his stuff (which I keep meaning to remedy) but I'd be happy to see him headline.  But even if Emily's a fan and APE has sold out, which clearly shows popularity, do you think he's a big enough "name" to headline? He doesn't fit in the current zeitgeist popularity bracket (Sheeran, Adele, Kamye, Beyonce), isn't one of the safe pair of hands crew (Coldplay, Muse) and isn't a big name legend status (Fleetwood Mac, Springsteen, The Who, Metallica).

The closest  I can think of from recent memory who'd sit in that category of artists with a solid fanbase and a decent amount of credibility, but not a household name as such, would be Arcade Fire.  I  missed '14, but from everything I've heard the reaction to AF as a result was just a bit....meh

I've not been round these parts much in a while, to be honest, but I'm thinking about getting back involved to stress myself out for the upcoming ticket scrum (not long now, folks... well, it is quite long).

I personally think he is a big enough name to headline - I think Arcade Fire is a great shout as a comparison. Also that year they also had Metallica, who are a very genre-specific act that surprised everyone. Neither had huge crowds (although I really enjoyed AF myself) so sometimes Glastonbury do surprise us.

On another point, if anyone can say they've earned it, he can. He's put in the graft throughout his career and played that Sunday sub slot three times.